Re: EnsembleII

  • rlramirez77
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 26, 2012
      A tip here, even if you are touching-up the Si570.

      If you are using the traditional soldering technique, a little dap of resin-based soldering paste (not acid flux!) applied to the Si570 lands, will help the solder to flow under the chip case.

      If you feel daring enough to use the Silver Bering paste re-flow soldering technique, then just be sure to slightly elevate the Si570 with a dap of beeswax or similar. By elevate, I mean by the thickness of a sheet of paper.

      Russ
      K0WFS

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <bigjeffyie@...> wrote:

      > Hi Junius,
      >
      > I've just had a similar experience with an Ensemble II RXTX that I'm building. I already own a Ensemble II RX so I knew everything PC wise was installed correctly.
      >
      > To get windows to recognise the device I had to touch up the connections on the Si570 chip. I also had to do this on my RX as well but it took me alot longer the first time around to figure that out.
      >

      > Pins 7 & 8 are certainly a challenge to get right first time!
      >
      > Maybe that is your problem as well :)
      >
      > 73
      >
      > Chris
      > EI1628
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "junius fox" <jfox05@> wrote:
      > >
      > > HI... I am process of building the ensemble II. I am up to testing the local oscillator.I have installed CFGSR and the associated DLL in the same folder. I also have installed the ATTiny85 driver. The unit is plugged into the USB, Device manager sees the new unit as not installed. I have tried everything I know to get the driver recognized, but no dice. Help
      > >
      > > W5HIR

    • Jaco Le roux
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2012
        Hi I had a similar problem, I have re-solder the ATTiny or the socket though, I had a problem on the grounding point sometimes it needs more heat to solder the GND areas. just my 0.02 cents worth.

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "rlramirez77" <russ.ramirez@...> wrote:

        > A tip here, even if you are touching-up the Si570.
        >
        > If you are using the traditional soldering technique, a little dap of resin-based soldering paste (not acid flux!) applied to the Si570 lands, will help the solder to flow under the chip case.
        >
        > If you feel daring enough to use the Silver Bering paste re-flow soldering technique, then just be sure to slightly elevate the Si570 with a dap of beeswax or similar. By elevate, I mean by the thickness of a sheet of paper.
        >
        > Russ
        > K0WFS
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Chris" <bigjeffyie@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Hi Junius,
        > >
        > > I've just had a similar experience with an Ensemble II RXTX that I'm building. I already own a Ensemble II RX so I knew everything PC wise was installed correctly.
        > >
        > > To get windows to recognise the device I had to touch up the connections on the Si570 chip. I also had to do this on my RX as well but it took me alot longer the first time around to figure that out.
        > >

        > > Pins 7 & 8 are certainly a challenge to get right first time!
        > >
        > > Maybe that is your problem as well :)
        > >
        > > 73
        > >
        > > Chris
        > > EI1628
        > >
        > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "junius fox" <jfox05@> wrote:
        > > >
        > > > HI... I am process of building the ensemble II. I am up to testing the local oscillator.I have installed CFGSR and the associated DLL in the same folder. I also have installed the ATTiny85 driver. The unit is plugged into the USB, Device manager sees the new unit as not installed. I have tried everything I know to get the driver recognized, but no dice. Help
        > > >
        > > > W5HIR

      • junius fox
        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2012
          Chris,
              In retrospect, I was darn sure I had soldered the si570 ok, so had a friend look at my supposedly installation of the driver,  It turns out, I really hadn't installed the driver.  He pointed out my mistake. I installed the .inf driver, and whoopee!, the unit was recognized in CFGSR.  I'm now in the finishing up mode all transformers and coils finished.
                 Thanks for all your help.

          =======
          http://www.pctools.com
          =======