Re: [softrock40] Re: Remote listening to a Softrock receive over a network, maybe remote control too?

  • Chris Wilson
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 24, 2012

      > A quick n dirty(and relatively inexpensive) solution for the audio
      > out portion of the problem might be to use one of the FM/MP3 automobile devices.

      > I have a Scosche FMT4(13 USD retail). The range is lousy, but can
      > be helped by a good FM tuner or careful rx antenna tweaking.

      > Use remote desktop or whatever to hook into the remote computer for
      > software control. Here I can get the audio in most of the house via FM tuner.

      > Caveat: Provided there is an unoccupied FM spot in your area. Works
      > FB here, but it is by nature prone to be a very subjective solution.

      > But I was also able to take my tunes along on last long car trip.

      > It takes the audio out from the soundcard headphone jack. No CPU overhead added to network.

      > 73 de w4kaz

      24/10/2012 21:15

      Won't remote desktop transmit whatever audio is coming from the
      soundcard on the server PC to the other one? Thanks for the idea
      though, ingenious!

      --
      Best Regards,
      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 27, 2012
        That is an option that can be turned off on the remote desktop login screen.

        Go to: "Options" -> "Local Resources" and jiggle the
        "remote audio" setting to "Play on remote computer"

        That should be good for Win XP pro, Vista Bizness, and using Win 7 home premium as the client.

        It also works inside the shack on the remotes. Rather than use the KVM switch[a long reach from the keyboard], sometimes it is easier to to remote to the other two boxes even though they are stacked one upon the other.

        73 es gl de w4kaz

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

        > 24/10/2012 21:15
        >
        > Won't remote desktop transmit whatever audio is coming from the
        > soundcard on the server PC to the other one? Thanks for the idea
        > though, ingenious!
        >
        > --
        > Best Regards,
        > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

      • Chris Wilson
        Message 3 of 18 , Nov 4, 2012

          > Greetings...
          > My approach would be to connect via Remote Desktop (or the
          > Mac/Linux equivalent) , i.e., bring the desktop of the receiving
          > computer to the laptop sitting on your lap. Sending a stream
          > outbound to Skype and back is workable but uses more resources.

          > 73, Jim

          04/11/2012 10:36

          Thanks, I have now tried Windows Remote Desktop and it uses its own
          audio driver it installs on the server PC as soon as it's launched.
          This then removes / kills the driver for the Softrock receive side in
          HDSDR, so no Softrock audio is transferred. Remote Desktop controls
          the HDSDR software just fine, but no audio. Surely there must be a
          demand for one shot, simple remote operation of SDR software that also
          transfers the audio seamlessly?

          I believe it was Alan on here that said building an SDR is the easy
          bit, battling the software is the hard part? He, or whoever it was, is
          quite correct :)

          --
          Best Regards,
          Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
          Message 4 of 18 , Nov 4, 2012
            Try using LogMeIn it lets me establish a link to a remote PC and control it as if I were sitting there. It also sends the audio to the PC your'e sitting at. Only for WindoZZZzzz... though.

            73 Dave

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

            > 04/11/2012 10:36
            >
            > Thanks, I have now tried Windows Remote Desktop and it uses its own
            > audio driver it installs on the server PC as soon as it's launched.
            > This then removes / kills the driver for the Softrock receive side in
            > HDSDR, so no Softrock audio is transferred. Remote Desktop controls
            > the HDSDR software just fine, but no audio. Surely there must be a
            > demand for one shot, simple remote operation of SDR software that also
            > transfers the audio seamlessly?
            >
            > I believe it was Alan on here that said building an SDR is the easy
            > bit, battling the software is the hard part? He, or whoever it was, is
            > quite correct :)
            >
            > --
            > Best Regards,
            > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

          • Chris Wilson
            Message 5 of 18 , Nov 4, 2012

              > Try using LogMeIn it lets me establish a link to a remote PC and
              > control it as if I were sitting there. It also sends the audio to
              > the PC your'e sitting at. Only for WindoZZZzzz... though.

              > 73 Dave

              04/11/2012 22:08

              Hi Dave after much fiddling I managed to get a combination of Ultra
              VNC and p2p Music server to co-operate and I now can listen and control
              my Softrock from anywhere in the house with a net connection. Took me
              ages, but there again i am pretty clueless with networking. Seeing it
              now works I am loathe to interfere with it, but many thanks for the
              suggestion Dave. 73 to you.

              --
              Best Regards,
              Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
              Message 6 of 18 , Nov 4, 2012

                > Hi Chris,

                > I have about the same setup as you do but with both softrock and
                > regular receivers, basically I use UltraVnc to control the receiver,
                > for audio I use a program all p2p music server, the server runs on
                > the remote system and the client on the system you want to listen
                > to. You might have to use Virtual Audio Cable if your soundcard does not have stereo mix.

                > The audio streaming software's latency is very low, hardly any lag
                > in the audio on my lan, be it wifi or wired. The reason I use
                > UltraVNC instead of RealVnc is because they have a mirror driver for
                > the VNC server that really speeds up the refresh rate of the
                > server's video, handy when using HDSDR to tune the softrock.

                > You can get the p2p music server at
                > http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Audio/Other-AUDIO-Tools/p2p-Music.shtml
                > its really small and freeware. I have been using it for around 2
                > years with no problem. If you need more help msg me.

                > Kelvin

                04/11/2012 22:12

                Hi Kelvin, after much fiddling your suggested combination is working
                just fine, it's taking me ages, but now it's sorted I would like to
                thank you very much for your suggestion! 73 to you, thanks again
                Kelvin!

                --
                Best Regards,
                Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY