Re: New SDR program to use eBay AD9850 DDS oscillators with SDR receivers

  • vbifyz
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 23, 2012
      100pcs price of AD9854 is about $20.
      So is the price for AD9850 if you look on the AD website. But on eBay, one is available on a $109 board, while another is on a $5 board.
      The whole point here is a low-cost working solution. Two AD9850 boards + two diode ring mixers + simple input LPF may be cheaper than Si570+74AC74+FST3253+BPF currently used on Softrock.
      Although I suspect that AD9850 chips from eBay are some kind of counterfeit (test rejects, illicit clones?)

      73, Mike

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "junius" <jfox05@...> wrote:

      > have a look at AD9854
      >
      > w5hir

    • m0fmt
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 23, 2012
        Hi all

        If you are saying drop the Quaderature detector for a straight double balanced (ring mixer)mixer then the answer is NO.

        Using a simple mixer will get you images either side of the LO frequency and on a busy band it would be a mess trying to sort out the upper and lower side band signals repeated up and down the band.

        If I read you correctly?

        73 Pete M0fmt

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "junius" <jfox05@...> wrote:

        > have a look at AD9854
        >
        > w5hir

      • vbifyz
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 23, 2012
          Sorry if I wasn't clear. The idea is to use 2 diode ring mixers (using sine wave quadrature LO) in place of 2 switching mixers (using square wave quadrature LO). The outputs are the same I and Q audio signals in both cases.
          Now that I looked at diode ring module prices, this option doesn't seem cheap at all :(

          73, Mike