Windows reports that your soundcard is already in use ...

  • edingraham
    Message 1 of 11 , Oct 23, 2012
      Using HDSDR and ASUS Xonar, I get this message
      Windows reports that your soundcard is already in use ...
      Any ideas on how to get around this?
      The device is the ASUS speaker output that I want HDSDR to use as TX output

      73, Ed WX4S
    • jose
      Message 2 of 11 , Oct 23, 2012
        Of course he did ..
        73

        Enviado de Samsung Mobile
        Message 3 of 11 , Oct 23, 2012
          Message 4 of 11 , Oct 23, 2012
            Windows 7
            WHether ASUS is default or not, same messsage.
            RX is using the builtin speakers

            > Subject: [softrock40] Windows reports that your soundcard is already in use ...
            >

            > > Using HDSDR and ASUS Xonar, I get this message
            > > Windows reports that your soundcard is already in use ...
            > > Any ideas on how to get around this?
            > > The device is the ASUS speaker output that I want HDSDR to use as TX output
            > >

            > Ed,
            >
            > Every day, something new! I've never seen such a message from Windows.
            > What Windows?
            > Is the Asus the default soundcard? Can you change it?
            > Presuming you have not set it for use for RX.
            >
            > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

          • Julio Jimenez
            Message 5 of 11 , Oct 23, 2012
              Have you tried using Device Manager to see what else might be tying up your sound card?  Just shooting in the dark here :-)

              72 DE AK4VL
              Julio Jimenez

              On Tuesday, October 23, 2012, edingraham wrote:

              Windows 7
              WHether ASUS is default or not, same messsage.
              RX is using the builtin speakers

              > Subject: [softrock40] Windows reports that your soundcard is already in use ...
              >

              > > Using HDSDR and ASUS Xonar, I get this message
              > > Windows reports that your soundcard is already in use ...
              > > Any ideas on how to get around this?
              > > The device is the ASUS speaker output that I want HDSDR to use as TX output
              > >

              > Ed,
              >
              > Every day, something new! I've never seen such a message from Windows.
              > What Windows?
              > Is the Asus the default soundcard? Can you change it?
              > Presuming you have not set it for use for RX.
              >
              > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

            • edingraham
              Message 6 of 11 , Oct 23, 2012
                No. Not familiar with Device Manager and sound, but I will give it a try.

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Julio Jimenez <ak4vl.qrp@...> wrote:

                > Have you tried using Device Manager to see what else might be tying up your
                > sound card? Just shooting in the dark here :-)
                >
                > 72 DE AK4VL
                > Julio Jimenez
                >
                > On Tuesday, October 23, 2012, edingraham wrote:
                >
                > > **
                > >

                > > Windows 7
                > > WHether ASUS is default or not, same messsage.
                > > RX is using the builtin speakers
                > >
                > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com <javascript:_e({}, 'cvml',

              • Julio Jimenez
                Message 7 of 11 , Oct 23, 2012
                  It's under Control Panel > System and Security > Device Manager.  There should be a drop-item named Sound, Video, and Game Controllers.  Expand it and you should find your sound card.  Go to its properties and you can do other stuff, like disabling and enabling (kinda like a reboot so to speak), driver updates, etc.  Good luck!!

                  Julio

                  Message 8 of 11 , Oct 24, 2012
                    Message 9 of 11 , Oct 24, 2012

                      Hi Alan,

                      I have several computers running skimmers and I have Asus Xonar's, M-Audio, Creative and the native board sound all on 3 of 4 dedicated computers. The only sound card that I found that will share drivers happily with another of the same brand were the M-Audio's.

                      73,

                      Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                      Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                      kq8m@...

                      AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                      Message 10 of 11 , Oct 24, 2012
                        Message 11 of 11 , Oct 25, 2012
                          No joy. HDSDR still says "Windows reports that your soundcard is already in use ..."
                          Windows Media Player happily uses the ASUS.
                          Device Manager says nothing about which program is using the ASUS.

                          73, Ed