Peaberry using PowerSDR2.4.4 I/Q Reverse on TX only

  • Dave Watson
    Message 1 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012

    David (AE9RB),

    I'm able to use the latest version of PowerSDR (2.4.4) with the Peaberry but have to switch modes from USB to LSB to compensate for the reverse I/Q in PowerSDR when transmitting in USB. It works just fine when I toggle the mode but it is a hassle to remember. Receive works fine as is without the RX REV jumper. I was wondering if I could cross pins 25 & 26 on U10 or pins 10 & 11 on U11 in combination with the RX REV Jumper to get both RX and TX to work on PowerSDR without having to switch to LSB to transmit USB. Any suggestions? I'm sure others would be interested in how to accomplish the same thing for other software that doesn't have a configuration parameter to toggle either RX or TX I/Q.

    Thanks,

    Dave (W4DJW)

  • KQ8M
    Message 2 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012

      If I may be so bold as I know nothing about the peaberry but wouldn't it be easier to just add a DPDT switch for the jumpers in case you want to use other software? U can just drill a hole in the case for the switch.

      73,

      Tim Herrick, KQ8M

      Charter Member North Coast Contesters

      kq8m@...

      AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

      Message 3 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
        If I understand this correctly, there are different versions of PowerSDR and the TX I/Q signals are different yet they provide no software option for reversal.  Good times. The Peaberry will be able to do I/Q reversal in firmware and save the setting in EEPROM. I'll add that to my list of things to do.

        Dave, the lines you highlighted on the schematic are just to turn on and off the speaker. They won't reverse the transmitter. You'll need to wait for new firmware or reverse the audio into the dual opamp if you want to modify the board.

        73 David AE9RB
        http://AE9RB.com/

        On Sun, Oct 21, 2012 at 4:58 PM, Dave Watson <davewatson@...> wrote:
[...]

        2 of 2 Photo(s)

        Message 4 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
          Subject: RE: [softrock40] Peaberry using PowerSDR2.4.4 I/Q Reverse on TX only

          > If I may be so bold as I know nothing about the peaberry but wouldn't it be easier to just add a DPDT switch for the jumpers in
          > case
          > you want to use other software? U can just drill a hole in the case for the switch.

          Tim

          It really is not necessary to have a switch, this could provide a future full of confusion.
          Setting the IQ correctly is a one-time operation.
          Get it right for PSDR, then use software switches for other programs if required.
          Do this at the rig, not with special crossed cables!
          Normally the Ensemble jumpers are different, one crossed, one not. I do not know if the Peaberry has such jumpers?

          Message 5 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012

            > If I understand this correctly, there are different versions of PowerSDR
            > and the TX I/Q signals are different

            David,

            I think all PSDR is the same.
            There is no inconsistency in the IQ.
            The confusion started some time ago with the Ensemble that requires the RX and TX jumpers to be set differently.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • David Turnbull
            Message 6 of 28 , Oct 21, 2012
              Alan,

              I've only tested the PowerSDR version described on the following page:
              http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/psdriq.htm

              The Peaberry, without any jumpers, is set up correctly for these
              versions. I'm still going to add the firmware switch as this was
              always on my todo list, but I'm confused why Dave is reversed on the
              new version.

              I'll eventually get around to testing it, but there's so much software
              for these radios that it's hard to keep up.

              73 David AE9RB
              http://AE9RB.com/

              Message 7 of 28 , Oct 22, 2012
                Dave,

                There is often confusion about IQ switching.
                Some have even been certain their soundcards are reversed, although this will not be a problem with the Peaberry!
                I am near enough 100% certain that PSDR has never changed, otherwise it would not work with all Flex radios. I feel that once
                someone has become familiar with SDR then if it is set for PSDR it will work with all PSDRs.
                I presume Dave is using SV1EIA's IQ version and no comments have been made on their group.

                If you set the Peaberry to be correct on PSDR then I cannot understand how Dave is having problems. I cannot remember which of the
                other software requires an IQ reverse. I do know it took me a while to be certain of what I was doing.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ

                Message 8 of 28 , Oct 22, 2012

                  Guess I should stop posting. Can never get it right.

                  Message 9 of 28 , Oct 22, 2012

                    > Guess I should stop posting. Can never get it right.

                    Tim

                    Who said you did not get it right?
                    A while back a few others said they'd rather fit a switch than take their rig apart if they'd got the jumpers wrong.
                    I don't think a switch is needed but who says I'm right?
                    Sorry if it seemed that way.

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ
                  • Dave Watson
                    Message 10 of 28 , Oct 22, 2012

                      Sounds good David. I'll keep switching to LSB until the firmware update comes out. I guess I'll need to get the programmer and cable to load the new  firmware? I think I was a link to this while in the build phases.

                      Alan, you're correct I do use SV1EIA's old version of PSDR-IQ as well as the main branch produced from Flex. SV1EIA's latest update modifies Flex's main branch at runtime rather than creating a new executable to make the main branch compatible with home built kits. This saves a lot of work on his part and get us the latest version with all the whistles and bells as they are produced.

                      There are many branches of the main branch and some like GSDR do include a switch for toggling IQ independently for RX & TX. I have searched the setup for the main branch and never found an IQ toggle that I recall.

                      Again, I'll wait for the firmware update opposed to cutting the Peaberry board. It's too nice a board to go hacking on if not needed.

                      Dave (W4DJW)

                      Message 11 of 28 , Oct 30, 2012
                        Dave,

                        I just tested PowerSDR 2.4.4 with the homebrew mods. There's no need
                        to reverse channels on the Peaberry. Do not install the RX_REV jumper
                        and you'll have the the correct channel settings. Only Rocky needs the
                        RX_REV jumper.

                        I do not know why you need to switch LSB and USB. There's nothing in
                        the Peaberry that could cause this so check your software settings.

                        Message 12 of 28 , Oct 30, 2012

                          > Only Rocky needs the
                          > RX_REV jumper.

                          David,

                          I wonder why you say that?
                          If the Peaberry works correctly with PSDR then I'd have thought Rocky's software switch would be needed. I presume that this switch
                          reverses RX and TX.

                          73 Alan G4ZFQ
                        • kz1x
                          Message 13 of 28 , Oct 30, 2012
                            Interesting.

                            I've tried Rocky and HDSDR and PowerSDR with my Peaberry, and, the only one I've had to run reverse I-Q on is HDSDR. And I do that from the application, not the radio.

                            The radio has to be rebooted (that's funny to an old analog guy like me, a radio rebooting?) to read the 'rev' jumper setting.

                            Rocky is awful on the setup I have (Atom powered netbook, Win7 basic), essentially unusable ... HDSDR is so-so, needed for the fldigi clean interface ... and PowerSDR (the special version for the radio genre) works the best but is notorious for simply crashing for no apparent reason.

                            Steve KZ1X/4

                            ***

                            > Subject: Re: [softrock40] Peaberry using PowerSDR2.4.4 I/Q Reverse on TX only
                            >

                            > > Only Rocky needs the
                            > > RX_REV jumper.
                            > >

                            > David,
                            >
                            > I wonder why you say that?
                            > If the Peaberry works correctly with PSDR then I'd have thought Rocky's software switch would be needed. I presume that this switch
                            > reverses RX and TX.
                            >
                            > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

                          • David Turnbull
                            Message 14 of 28 , Oct 30, 2012
                              Alan, Rocky's I/Q reversal toggles both the tx and rx. The RX_REV
                              reverses only the receiver. Without the jumper, one or the other is
                              always wrong in Rocky. No other software needs this jumper as they
                              either use the PowerSDR setup or have separate config options for rx
                              and tx.

                              73 David AE9RB
                              http://AE9RB.com/

                              Message 15 of 28 , Oct 30, 2012

                                > Alan, Rocky's I/Q reversal toggles both the tx and rx. The RX_REV
                                > reverses only the receiver. Without the jumper, one or the other is
                                > always wrong in Rocky. No other software needs this jumper as they
                                > either use the PowerSDR setup or have separate config options for rx
                                > and tx.

                                David

                                With the Softrocks it has always been the case that if the IQ is setup for PSDR RXTX then the software switch was all that was
                                needed for Rocky.

                                As no-one has mentioned any changes with PSDR I assume that the IQ settings have not changed. So the latest version should not be
                                any different.

                                I forget which software needs the software switch but once a Softrock is setup correctly it does not need to be changed. It seems
                                strange that you say the Peaberry requires a RX switch.

                                73 Alan G4ZFQ
                              • David Turnbull
                                Message 16 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
                                  Alan,

                                  The following two paragraphs from from
                                  http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/07_opamp.htm

                                  "In both the RX op amp and TX QSE sections, the jumper links on the
                                  I/Q input and outputs should ideally be fitted crossed over. That
                                  provides compatibility with all versions of PowerSDR. For Rocky and
                                  Winrad it is necessary to use the 'swap IQ' functions in their set up.
                                  If you jumper them straight across fine for Rocky and Winrad, but you
                                  will not be able to use any version of PSDR. (Author wired for Rocky)"

                                  "Some builders (author included) have encountered issues in this setup
                                  and siscovered that the only the TX leads should be crossed, leaving
                                  the RX leads uncrossed. Be prepared to change these should you
                                  encounter this issue."

                                  I own a SoftRock RXTX Ensemble and wiring them as per the first
                                  paragraph, with both crossed, left me in a situation where Rocky was
                                  impossible to set up. Making the change in the second paragraph allows
                                  use on Rocky, but PowerSDR was impossible.

                                  I have tested many different applications with the Peaberry and would
                                  love a design that didn't require i/Q reversal. Unfortunately, this
                                  doesn't seem possible when two very popular applications appear in
                                  direct conflict with each other and are inflexible with their
                                  configuration.

                                  To everyone who transmits with both PowerSDR and Rocky on a RXTX
                                  Ensemble: What versions are you using? How are your jumpers set up?

                                  73 David AE9RB
                                  http://AE9RB.com/

                                  On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                • Jose Bonanca
                                  Message 17 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012

                                    RX not crossed ... TX crossed.

                                    73

                                    Message 18 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
                                      Jose, what versions of the software? Are you actually transmitting with both or just receiving with one? I need more information to reproduce this because my results have been different the past dozen times I've tested.

                                      On Wed, Oct 31, 2012 at 10:05 AM, Jose Bonanca <jabct1aos@...> wrote:

                                      RX not crossed ... TX crossed.

                                      73

                                      "In both the RX op amp and TX QSE sections, the jumper links on the
                                      I/Q input and outputs should ideally be fitted crossed over. That
                                      provides compatibility with all versions of PowerSDR. For Rocky and
                                      Winrad it is necessary to use the 'swap IQ' functions in their set up.
                                      If you jumper them straight across fine for Rocky and Winrad, but you
                                      will not be able to use any version of PSDR. (Author wired for Rocky)"

                                      "Some builders (author included) have encountered issues in this setup
                                      and siscovered that the only the TX leads should be crossed, leaving
                                      the RX leads uncrossed. Be prepared to change these should you
                                      encounter this issue."

                                      I own a SoftRock RXTX Ensemble and wiring them as per the first
                                      paragraph, with both crossed, left me in a situation where Rocky was
                                      impossible to set up. Making the change in the second paragraph allows
                                      use on Rocky, but PowerSDR was impossible.

                                      I have tested many different applications with the Peaberry and would
                                      love a design that didn't require i/Q reversal. Unfortunately, this
                                      doesn't seem possible when two very popular applications appear in
                                      direct conflict with each other and are inflexible with their
                                      configuration.

                                      To everyone who transmits with both PowerSDR and Rocky on a RXTX
                                      Ensemble: What versions are you using? How are your jumpers set up?

                                      73 David AE9RB
                                      http://AE9RB.com/

                                    • John Williams
                                      Message 19 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
                                        I got my RXTX pre-built from Tony and he said he tested it on Rocky. He wired it RX straight and TX crossed. To get it to work on PSDR, I made a cable that crosses RX.

                                        Confusing, but that is what I have.

                                        John
                                        On 10/31/2012 11:45 AM, David Turnbull wrote:

                                        Alan,

                                        The following two paragraphs from from
                                        http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/07_opamp.htm

                                        "In both the RX op amp and TX QSE sections, the jumper links on the
                                        I/Q input and outputs should ideally be fitted crossed over. That
                                        provides compatibility with all versions of PowerSDR. For Rocky and
                                        Winrad it is necessary to use the 'swap IQ' functions in their set up.
                                        If you jumper them straight across fine for Rocky and Winrad, but you
                                        will not be able to use any version of PSDR. (Author wired for Rocky)"

                                        "Some builders (author included) have encountered issues in this setup
                                        and siscovered that the only the TX leads should be crossed, leaving
                                        the RX leads uncrossed. Be prepared to change these should you
                                        encounter this issue."

                                        I own a SoftRock RXTX Ensemble and wiring them as per the first
                                        paragraph, with both crossed, left me in a situation where Rocky was
                                        impossible to set up. Making the change in the second paragraph allows
                                        use on Rocky, but PowerSDR was impossible.

                                        I have tested many different applications with the Peaberry and would
                                        love a design that didn't require i/Q reversal. Unfortunately, this
                                        doesn't seem possible when two very popular applications appear in
                                        direct conflict with each other and are inflexible with their
                                        configuration.

                                        To everyone who transmits with both PowerSDR and Rocky on a RXTX
                                        Ensemble: What versions are you using? How are your jumpers set up?

                                        73 David AE9RB
                                        http://AE9RB.com/

                                        On Tue, Oct 30, 2012 at 11:15 PM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

                                        John Williams

                                        KE5SSH - ham since 2007
                                        WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

                                      • David Turnbull
                                        Message 20 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
                                          Thanks, John,

                                          Your observations exactly match mine. I wired my RXTX for PowerSDR and use a "reversing cable" for Rocky.

                                          I think it's possible that somewhere along the way Rocky changed so I'm hoping someone who doesn't need to switch IQ will report their version numbers. This confuses everyone getting started with homebrew SDR so it'd be nice to figure out where things went sideways.

                                          73 David AE9RB
                                          http://AE9RB.com/

                                          Message 21 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012

                                            I use PSDR 1.19  just RX only. HDSDR2 and ROCKY7 all of them are working great.

                                            73

                                            Message 22 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012

                                              > The following two paragraphs from from
                                              > http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/07_opamp.htm
                                              >
                                              > "In both the RX op amp and TX QSE sections, the jumper links on the
                                              > I/Q input and outputs should ideally be fitted crossed over....

                                              Dave,

                                              Unfortunately in a list like this confusion reigns!
                                              We get posts from those that understand and from those that think they understand.
                                              At the time Robby wrote that, when the Ensemble was introduced, there was a LOT of confusion, some were convinced their soundcard
                                              L/R was reversed from the normal standard. Perhaps it needs re-writing.

                                              My Ensembles have TX crossed, RX straight.
                                              I confirm that this works with all versions of PSDR and Rocky. I've just looked at Rocky, it is set Left/Right = Q/I which I presume
                                              is the way it works. I have used PSK TX but not recently......
                                              Right, seeing other comments.
                                              Rocky 3.6 Correct.
                                              Rocky 3.7 Correct.
                                              PSDR has always been correct for all versions, from 1.9 to 2.4.
                                              Correct means that it TXs on the same frequency as RX.

                                              > provides compatibility with all versions of PowerSDR. For Rocky and
                                              > Winrad it is necessary to use the 'swap IQ' functions in their set up.
                                              > If you jumper them straight across fine for Rocky and Winrad, but you
                                              > will not be able to use any version of PSDR. (Author wired for Rocky)"

                                              In this configuration RX/TX will not be correct for PSDR or any software except those that have separate RX and TX switches.

                                              > "Some builders (author included) have encountered issues in this setup
                                              > and siscovered that the only the TX leads should be crossed, leaving
                                              > the RX leads uncrossed. Be prepared to change these should you
                                              > encounter this issue."

                                              Robby got it right in the end. But some were not convinced.

                                              > I own a SoftRock RXTX Ensemble and wiring them as per the first
                                              > paragraph, with both crossed, left me in a situation where Rocky was
                                              > impossible to set up.
                                              Yes.

                                              Making the change in the second paragraph allows
                                              > use on Rocky, but PowerSDR was impossible.

                                              TX crossed? Now this I do not understand. This is the correct way.

                                              > I have tested many different applications with the Peaberry and would
                                              > love a design that didn't require i/Q reversal. Unfortunately, this
                                              > doesn't seem possible when two very popular applications appear in
                                              > direct conflict with each other and are inflexible with their
                                              > configuration.

                                              David, if this is really true then surely there would have been something said in the 5 years I have been with this group?
                                              I repeat, once the IQ is setup for PSDR then just the software switches on ALL other software is all that is required.

                                              > To everyone who transmits with both PowerSDR and Rocky on a RXTX
                                              > Ensemble: What versions are you using? How are your jumpers set up?

                                              Let's hope we get some other input.....
                                              Which seems just as confusing! I just do not understand how any extra crossovers are needed.

                                              73 Alan G4ZFQ
                                            • Dave Watson
                                              Message 23 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012

                                                David,

                                                Did you look at your output on another SDR radio while you were transmitting? I couldn't get any PSK responses when I first started using my Peaberry on PowerSDR 2.4.4 so I fired up a SoftRockRXTX on another computer (antenna attenuated) to see what my signal looked like. To my surprise I was on the wrong side of the center line. I switched to LSB on the SoftRock and my PSK decoder started decoding my transmission. No wonder nobody replied to me. I was below them. So I switched the SoftRock back to USB and the Peaberry to LSB and restarted my calling CQ. The SoftRock decoded my transmission on USB and I started getting responses to my calling CQ. I made about 30 contacts that evening and had reports for a solid clean signal. I've been flipping USB/LSB since I found that solution.

                                                Dave (W4DJW)

                                                > "In both the RX op amp and TX QSE sections, the jumper links on the
                                                > I/Q input and outputs should ideally be fitted crossed over....

                                                Dave,

                                                Unfortunately in a list like this confusion reigns!
                                                We get posts from those that understand and from those that think they understand.
                                                At the time Robby wrote that, when the Ensemble was introduced, there was a LOT of confusion, some were convinced their soundcard
                                                L/R was reversed from the normal standard. Perhaps it needs re-writing.

                                                My Ensembles have TX crossed, RX straight.
                                                I confirm that this works with all versions of PSDR and Rocky. I've just looked at Rocky, it is set Left/Right = Q/I which I presume
                                                is the way it works. I have used PSK TX but not recently......
                                                Right, seeing other comments.
                                                Rocky 3.6 Correct.
                                                Rocky 3.7 Correct.
                                                PSDR has always been correct for all versions, from 1.9 to 2.4.
                                                Correct means that it TXs on the same frequency as RX.

                                                > provides compatibility with all versions of PowerSDR. For Rocky and
                                                > Winrad it is necessary to use the 'swap IQ' functions in their set up.
                                                > If you jumper them straight across fine for Rocky and Winrad, but you
                                                > will not be able to use any version of PSDR. (Author wired for Rocky)"

                                                In this configuration RX/TX will not be correct for PSDR or any software except those that have separate RX and TX switches.

                                                > "Some builders (author included) have encountered issues in this setup
                                                > and siscovered that the only the TX leads should be crossed, leaving
                                                > the RX leads uncrossed. Be prepared to change these should you
                                                > encounter this issue."

                                                Robby got it right in the end. But some were not convinced.

                                                > I own a SoftRock RXTX Ensemble and wiring them as per the first
                                                > paragraph, with both crossed, left me in a situation where Rocky was
                                                > impossible to set up.
                                                Yes.

                                                Message 24 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
                                                  Dave, I use the bandscope from an analog radio, not an SDR. It's wide and sensitive enough to show the main signal, LO, and image all at once. This eliminates any possible misconfiguration of the other SDR or misinterpretation of what is where. Switching USB/LSB won't flip you to the other side of the center, you would have to change the LO for that. Something else is going on with your situation.

                                                  Alan, I just tested my RXTX again with PowerSDR. Straight on RX and crossed on TX is indeed the correct setting. I have configured the Peaberry to match this by default. Multiple customers have reported PowerSDR working and needing to reverse receive to get Rocky 3.7 working. I have needed the same. My RXTX also needs a crossover cable for Rocky. John has stated that he needs a crossover cable. You and Jose say you don't.

                                                  Using the default Peaberry settings, and the straight on RX and crossed on TX for RXTX, I can receive properly with Rocky 3.7 when set to Left/Right=Q/I. However the transmission is on the wrong side of center. If I change to Left/Right=I/Q then the receiver is backwards and the transmission is correct. Are you seeing this behavior, or does transmit stay the same when you switch this setting?

                                                  For a default Peaberry, WSPR in I/Q mode needs no reversal and HDSDR needs RX reversal but not TX reversal.

                                                  We really need to hear from more people who transmit using both applications and have proper test equipment.

                                                  73 David AE9RB

                                                • Dave Watson
                                                  Message 25 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012

                                                    David,

                                                    I just retested on a Kenwood TS-2000 and a Flex-5000A. No possibility of misconfiguration there as I'm simply listening to what is being transmitted. On the TS-2000, I hear the signal on LSB and I don't hear the signal on USB. On the Flex, I see the signal below the center frequency on USB and above the center frequency on LSB.

                                                    When you test with PowerSDR are you using the Flex built executable v2.4.4 with TNF capability?

                                                    Dave (W4DJW)

                                                    Message 26 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012
                                                      Dave,

                                                      I'm using the executable built by SV1EIA that was in the zip fie for making 2.4.4 work for homebrew.

                                                      When you toggle the TS-2000 from USB to LSB then you are tuning in a completely different 3kHz of spectrum. I think you're mistaking beat frequency for the local oscillator. The line displayed PowerSDR is not the LO or center frequency, it is the beat frequency. The LO in PowerSDR is always 8kHz below the beat frequency. This is very different from traditional radios.

                                                      It sound like your Si570 may be mis-calibrated. You can use CFGSR to set the calibration and make sure all your applications are reset to defaults or zero.

                                                      73 David AE9RB

                                                      Message 27 of 28 , Oct 31, 2012

                                                        David,

                                                        I did use CFGSR to calibrate for receive but not for transmit. I think you have identified the issue. I may be too low on TX in USB and too high on TX in LSB. If that is the case, that should be a lot easier than reprogramming. Thanks for putting up me figuring this out.

                                                        Dave (W4DJW)

                                                        Message 28 of 28 , Nov 1, 2012
                                                          From: "David Turnbull"

                                                          > Alan, I just tested my RXTX again with PowerSDR. Straight on RX and crossed
                                                          > on TX is indeed the correct setting. I have configured the Peaberry to
                                                          > match this by default.

                                                          And the Peaberry does TX on the same sideband as RX?

                                                          Multiple customers have reported PowerSDR working
                                                          > and needing to reverse receive to get Rocky 3.7 working. I have needed the
                                                          > same. My RXTX also needs a crossover cable for Rocky. John has stated that
                                                          > he needs a crossover cable. You and Jose say you don't.

                                                          From what Dave says this seems as if the Peaberry is TXing on the wrong sideband. Not with crossed IQ?
                                                          I have re-checked both versions of Rocky and confirm it does TX PSK on USB, just above the tuned frequency. But not the other side
                                                          of centre.

                                                          Confusion about IQ or QI has been with us for a long time. Switching Rocky when transmitting has only appeared with the Peaberry.

                                                          The Ensemble with crossed TX jumpers is the same as early Softrocks. With WSPR-IQ Reverse TX IQ needs to be ticked.

                                                          73 Alan G4ZFQ