Peaberry Operation Question

  • n0rek@sbcglobal.net
    Message 1 of 4 , Oct 21, 2012
      Hello all!

      I am new to the world of HF and SDR (and to this group), so go easy on me...

      I have built the Peaberry SDR kit (great kit, by the way, and excellent support from David, AE9RB) and am having a bit of trouble getting it to communicate with the outside world (via antenna). RX seems to be okay, but I am at a loss as to how to make it TX...I primarily intend to operate in PSK31, at least for now (I haven't learned morse code yet).

      My setup is as follows:
      20m dipole, Power supply, Peaberry, USB cable to a Win7 machine...

      I have started with HDSDR, though I am not stuck on using that particular software...

      In the "soundcard" menu, I have chosen the following:
      "RX Input from Radio" - "Line (2-Peaberry Radio)"
      "RX Output - Speaker" - "Speakers (High Definition Audio)" (This is my computer's sound card)

      I then click OK and press start and I can hear the various signals and move around the waterfall and hear things changing...

      Now we get to the questions part...
      1. What is a good program to decode/encode PSK?

      2. How do I get the received audio to the PSK decoding program? I have heard about VAC and have downloaded the free version, but other than setting up two cables, I have no idea what to do with it. I understand that I will need to purchase the license to get rid of the voice every few seconds.

      3. How do I get the encoded PSK back to HDSDR and then into the radio to be transmitted? (I'm assuming this is the second of the two VAC cables).

      4. What is the setup for HDSDR to work in this manner...

      In my mind, it is something like this...

      Antenna - Peaberry - USB - HDSDR (Rx) - VAC#1 - PSK decode - PSK encode - VAC#2 - HDSDR (Tx) - USB - Peaberry - Antenna

      Thanks in advance for any help you can offer...
    • John Greusel
      Message 2 of 4 , Oct 21, 2012
        Robert,
        There's one more element to this equation- CAT control. You need to study virtual serial cables and how to interface HDSDR with a PSK program like FLdigi. You can get by with one serial connection. This whole setup with virtual audio cables and virtual serial cables with CAT control is no small job but you're getting there.

        John
        KC9OJV

        Message 3 of 4 , Oct 21, 2012
          > . RX seems to be okay, but I am at a loss as to how to make it TX...I primarily intend to operate in PSK31, at least for now (I
          > haven't learned morse code yet).
          >

          > I have started with HDSDR, though I am not stuck on using that particular software...

          My HDSDR notes here <https://sites.google.com/site/g4zfqradio/calibrating-the-softrock-si570-usb-controller>

          Rocky is a PSK program, but does not always work properly without a struggle.

          Constructing the SDR is sometimes the easy bit!

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Chris Wilson
          Message 4 of 4 , Oct 22, 2012
            <SNIP>

            > Constructing the SDR is sometimes the easy bit!

            > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

            22/10/2012 11:35

            How very VERY true! :)

            --