V6 RXTX kit arrived

  • qrper723
    Message 1 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
      Tony,

      The V6 RXTX kit arrived here in Japan today.
      I will check all of the parts according to the newest BOM list.
      And will build it as soon as possible.

      Also I'm looking forward you to discover the PA's power up procedure
      I'm very interested in.

      Thanks again,ja9mat hidehiko.
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
        Very good Hidehiko.  Please let me know about any problems you find with the kit.  I am still working on the low power problem but think I have made some progress.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
          Tony,

          I have been following the threads about the low power. Is it possible to
          breadboard and take a trsistor of the proper value and feed thru capacitor
          from collector without the output network and analyze the output? I know it
          wouldn't be filtered but it might show if the output filtering is the
          problem with power loss.

          Loren

          If I do not dream then it can't come true!
          Loren Moline WA7SKT CN86cx
          Member: ARRL, Pacific Northwest VHF Society #151

          >From: "Tony Parks" <raparks@...>
          >To: <softrock40@yahoogroups.com>
          >Subject: Re: [softrock40] V6 RXTX kit arrived
          >Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 07:59:15 -0500
          >
          >Very good Hidehiko. Please let me know about any problems you find with
          >the kit. I am still working on the low power problem but think I have made
          >some progress.
          >
          >73,
          >Tony KB9YIG

          trip!
          http://www.imagine-windowslive.com/minisites/yahoo/default.aspx?locale=en-us&hmtagline
        • Tony Parks
          Message 4 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
            Hi Loren,

            I am now getting just over 400mW from my RXTX board with the output sinewave looking very clean and the Q2 collector waveform looking like a reasonable sinewave.  As soon as I do some more checking, I will post what changes have been made to get to where I am now.

            73,
            Tony KB9YIG

            I have been following the threads about the low power. Is it possible to
            breadboard and take a trsistor of the proper value and feed thru capacitor
            from collector without the output network and analyze the output? I know it
            wouldn't be filtered but it might show if the output filtering is the
            problem with power loss.

            Loren

            If I do not dream then it can't come true!
            Loren Moline WA7SKT CN86cx
            Member: ARRL, Pacific Northwest VHF Society #151

            >From: "Tony Parks" <raparks@ctcisp. com>
            >To: <softrock40@yahoogro ups.com>
            >Subject: Re: [softrock40] V6 RXTX kit arrived
            >Date: Wed, 1 Nov 2006 07:59:15 -0500
            >
            >Very good Hidehiko. Please let me know about any problems you find with
            >the kit. I am still working on the low power problem but think I have made
            >some progress.
            >
            >73,
            >Tony KB9YIG

          • Loren Moline WA7SKT
            Message 5 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
              Tony,

              I should have proof read my post. Should read...take a resistor of proper
              value.

            • Art
              Message 6 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
                My guess would be NO.

                Without the filtering, you can't quantify the amount of harmonic
                power in the output. Without the filtering, you might show 2X more
                power on your meter, but it's not usable power because it is not
                power at the operating frequency you desire. If you have a spectrum
                analyzer, this would work, but not with a simple power meter.

                Wwith a square wave output you can obtain usable information with a
                simple power meter. But only because the harmonic content is
                quantifiable because you can very reliably predict the power in the
                harmonics (you can measure the rise and fall times of the signal).

                I followed the thread too. I'd be interested to see a plot of power
                output vs the load resistance. Which could be done with an rf
                voltmeter and a small collection of 1 watt non inductive resistors in
                the 10 to 150 ohm range.

                Regards,

                Art

                >I have been following the threads about the low power. Is it possible to
                >breadboard and take a trsistor of the proper value and feed thru capacitor
                >from collector without the output network and analyze the output? I know it
                >wouldn't be filtered but it might show if the output filtering is the
                >problem with power loss.
                >
                >Loren

              • Loren Moline WA7SKT
                Message 7 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
                  Tony,

                  Thats great. I have been so busy with my space probe receiving system I
                  haven't had time to build any of my Softrock receivers yet.

                  Message 8 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
                    Art,

                    Thanks for comment. I realize it wouldnt be useable power..Its just that
                    there was so much power loss I was wondering if it could be isolated to the
                    PA components or the output filter.

                    Loren

                    If I do not dream then it can't come true!
                    Loren Moline WA7SKT CN86cx
                    Member: ARRL, Pacific Northwest VHF Society #151

                    >From: Art <KY1K@...>
                    >To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                    >Subject: Re: [softrock40] V6 RXTX kit arrived
                    >Date: Wed, 01 Nov 2006 09:13:24 -0500
                    >
                    >My guess would be NO.
                    >
                    >Without the filtering, you can't quantify the amount of harmonic
                    >power in the output. Without the filtering, you might show 2X more
                    >power on your meter, but it's not usable power because it is not
                    >power at the operating frequency you desire. If you have a spectrum
                    >analyzer, this would work, but not with a simple power meter.
                    >
                    >Wwith a square wave output you can obtain usable information with a
                    >simple power meter. But only because the harmonic content is
                    >quantifiable because you can very reliably predict the power in the
                    >harmonics (you can measure the rise and fall times of the signal).
                    >
                    >I followed the thread too. I'd be interested to see a plot of power
                    >output vs the load resistance. Which could be done with an rf
                    >voltmeter and a small collection of 1 watt non inductive resistors in
                    >the 10 to 150 ohm range.
                    >
                    >Regards,
                    >
                    >Art
                    >

                    > >I have been following the threads about the low power. Is it possible to
                    > >breadboard and take a trsistor of the proper value and feed thru
                    >capacitor
                    > >from collector without the output network and analyze the output? I know
                    >it
                    > >wouldn't be filtered but it might show if the output filtering is the
                    > >problem with power loss.
                    > >
                    > >Loren
                    > >

                    >--

                  • Cecilio Bayona
                    Message 9 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006
                      qrper723 wrote:
                      > Tony,
                      >
                      > The V6 RXTX kit arrived here in Japan today.
                      > I will check all of the parts according to the newest BOM list.
                      > And will build it as soon as possible.
                      >
                      > Also I'm looking forward you to discover the PA's power up procedure
                      > I'm very interested in.
                      >
                      > Thanks again,ja9mat hidehiko.

                      Mine arrived in NW Arkansas, USA on Monday afternoons mail.

                      --

                      Cecil
                      KD5NWA

                      "Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!" Don Seglio Batuna
                    • Kees & Sandy
                      Message 10 of 10 , Nov 1, 2006

                        Tony, you really have a winner with this RXTX board. It's going together very easily and the construction is very straightforward. It IS easier to do all the pin-in-hole components first.

                        Minor points.........

                        Silkscreen for C2 and C9 shows polarized electrolytic but they are ceramics (for those who didn't read the placement chart).

                        The 0.033uF (333) ceramic physically "looks like" the four 0.1uF (104) ceramics in the capacitors package   ....just read the numbers.

                        73 Kees K5BCQ