Working but...

  • fromabq
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 31, 2006
      Hello Everyone,

      I've never posted here before. My name is Mike and my call is ke5akl.

      I just built up a V6.1 40/80 softrock and it seems to be working OK.
      The current draw and voltages seem correct and I'm receiving OK on
      both bands with Rocky and PowerSDR using a Delta 44.

      However I notice that when looking at the Delta's control panel
      the "peak meters" for the inputs I'm using barely register a signal.
      Every once in awhile a static crash will show up but otherwise not
      much of anything even with the corresponding signal levels set to -10
      dBV.

      Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with the I/Q signal
      amplification on the receiver board?

      As I said, both Rocky and PowerSDR seem to be receiving OK, their
      displays look fine, audio sounds OK, and both are registering S9+
      signals regularly with their S meters.

      Thanks,

      Mike - ke5akl

      PS. I've had a hard time finding an adapter that will let me plug
      into the Delta 44's breakout box. What do people usually use for
      that?
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
        Hi Mike,

        It sounds like your SoftRock is working properly.

        I have a Delta 44 interface module kit that replaces the heavy cable and breakout box with a board that plugs on the 15-pin connector on the Delta 44 baord.  The interface module has four stereo 1/8 inch (3.5 mm) jacks for the the two stereo inputs and two stereo outputs.  The cables connections to the Delta 44 are then just the 1/8 inch stereo cables.  Additionally the interface module has additional RF filtering and provides jumper selectable ground options for the shields on each of the input and output cables.

        Module kit price is $11 which includes postage and may be ordered via PayPal to raparks@...

        Hope you have some fun with the little SDR receiver.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 1, 2006
          fromabq wrote:
          > Hello Everyone,
          >
          > I've never posted here before. My name is Mike and my call is ke5akl.
          >
          > I just built up a V6.1 40/80 softrock and it seems to be working OK.
          > The current draw and voltages seem correct and I'm receiving OK on
          > both bands with Rocky and PowerSDR using a Delta 44.
          >
          > However I notice that when looking at the Delta's control panel
          > the "peak meters" for the inputs I'm using barely register a signal.
          > Every once in awhile a static crash will show up but otherwise not
          > much of anything even with the corresponding signal levels set to -10
          > dBV.
          >
          > Is this normal? Or is there something wrong with the I/Q signal
          > amplification on the receiver board?
          >
          > As I said, both Rocky and PowerSDR seem to be receiving OK, their
          > displays look fine, audio sounds OK, and both are registering S9+
          > signals regularly with their S meters.
          >
          > Thanks,
          >
          > Mike - ke5akl
          >
          > PS. I've had a hard time finding an adapter that will let me plug
          > into the Delta 44's breakout box. What do people usually use for
          > that?

          I listen on 40M with my SoftRock, many signals are at -100dB to -80dB
          those are mighty tiny signals that would barely move the S-Meter on the
          sound card, but you pick them up fine and everything is as it should be.

          Don't worry be happy.

          --

          Cecil
          KD5NWA

          "Sacred Cows make the best Hamburger!" Don Seglio Batuna