Softrock 6.3 RX/TX Problem ?

  • Bill
    Message 1 of 8 , Oct 20, 2012
      Hi,

      One of my SoftRock Transceivers has a strange problem that I have not yet been able to work out.

      There are spikes spaced at 1Khz intervals from the center frequency for about 20 Khz before they drop off. + and - of the center frequency.

      As far as I can tell not an image problem, works brilliantly when using SDR Radio 1.5, the image rejection and spur clear up any slight discrepancies. Only shows up when using Rocky software.

      Have checked against a couple of my other SoftRocks and all looks good take a milli volt or two, and using Filters/PA Board from a good Softrock.

      Any suggestions would be most welcome. tried to post a screen shot but would not let me. This one is hopefully for my 4 Metre transverter.

      Thanks for reading
      Message 2 of 8 , Oct 20, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Softrock 6.3 RX/TX Problem ?

        > One of my SoftRock Transceivers has a strange problem that I have not yet been able to work out.
        Only shows up when using Rocky software.

        If it only shows up with Rocky then it probably is Rocky.

        Any fault in the Softrock or interference picked up by it should show the same whatever software you use with it.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • David Turnbull
        Message 3 of 8 , Oct 20, 2012
          Hi Bill,

          Full Speed USB is based on 1kHz framing. You may have USB noise mixing
          in with the LO. It could also be from a USB sound card. For example,
          my iMic shows the noise you describe when it's not plugged into a
          radio.

          73 David AE9RB
          http://AE9RB.com/

          Message 4 of 8 , Oct 20, 2012
            Have a couple of other RX/TX's that do not show this when using my install of rocky, and this one has been compared against them.

            Maybe a soundcard issue with this one rig?. Will swap soundcards but sure i have done this in the past. Maybe it's time to keep a log of what steps I have taken.

            Have uploaded a .bmp image to folder BT517295.

            Rocky has no aerial connected - center frequency 14.050Mhz - mode CW

            Thanks

            Message 5 of 8 , Oct 21, 2012
              Subject: [softrock40] Re: Softrock 6.3 RX/TX Problem ?

              > Have a couple of other RX/TX's that do not show this when using my install of rocky, and this one has been compared against them.
              >
              > Maybe a soundcard issue with this one rig?.

              Is this a separate computer that you have only used with this particular RXTX?
              Have you swapped a RXTX?
              Rocky is known to be somewhat problematical with soundcards. If it only happens with Rocky I can't see what else it can be.

              73 Alan G4ZFQ

              Message 6 of 8 , Oct 21, 2012
                Have swapped RX/TX and these do not exhibit the same problem.

                Message 7 of 8 , Oct 21, 2012

                  > Have swapped RX/TX and these do not exhibit the same problem.

                  Let me be sure what you are saying.

                  The problem happens on just one RXTX.
                  And only occurs when you run Rocky. It does not show on any other software.

                  Sorry, if this is the case I cannot think of anything. I must be missing something.
                  Both RXTXs work properly on another computer?
                  Does it show on all frequencies?

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • Bill
                  Message 8 of 8 , Oct 21, 2012
                    Alan,

                    This is the case. Other band modules have been tried, similar results.

                    David (AE9RB)mentioned 1khz spacing and USB. As each softrock has a hardwired USBIC2 module will start scoping this module to see if any spikes are being produced, if necessary will make a new module as have a couple of earlier revision firmware chips available.

                    Thanks for assistance so far to everybody, will post again when I have exhausted this line of enquiry