Re: [softrock40] Mini-Circuits

  • Alan Hill
    Message 1 of 19 , Oct 11, 2012

      It depends on what you need.  I buy parts direct from minicircuits and haven't had any problems but I do not buy one of.
      73,
      ALAN -W6ARH

      On Oct 11, 2012 8:14 PM, "electricham@..." <chr1s.wynk00p@...> wrote:

      All,

      I hope this is not too off topic, but I was hoping to get an idea on where you guys get your Minicircuits parts? Sometimes they offer the part I need but only in larger quantities. Clearly, this is a problem! :-) I have seen many kits out there with these parts, so I know I'm not the only one off Guy out there.

      Thanks!

      73

    • Leon Heller
      Message 2 of 19 , Oct 12, 2012
        On 12/10/2012 04:14, electricham@... wrote:
        > All,
        >
        > I hope this is not too off topic, but I was hoping to get an idea on
        > where you guys get your Minicircuits parts? Sometimes they offer the
        > part I need but only in larger quantities. Clearly, this is a problem!
        > :-) I have seen many kits out there with these parts, so I know I'm not
        > the only one off Guy out there.

        I buy what I need direct from MCL UK. On one or two occasions I've
        bought 50 pieces, and sold the excess to fellow hams, to get the cost
        down. I didn't have any problems getting rid of them.

        73, Leon
        --
        Leon Heller
        G1HSM
        Message 3 of 19 , Oct 12, 2012
          Leon,

          Thanks loads for the feedback! I was wondering about a bulk order and then selling what I didn't need. Do you have a recommendation on where to try to get interest in a batch order from other HAM's or do you just talk to the HAM's you know personally?

          Thanks!
          73

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Leon Heller <leon355@...> wrote:

          > On 12/10/2012 04:14, electricham@... wrote:
          > > All,
          > >
          > > I hope this is not too off topic, but I was hoping to get an idea on
          > > where you guys get your Minicircuits parts? Sometimes they offer the
          > > part I need but only in larger quantities. Clearly, this is a problem!
          > > :-) I have seen many kits out there with these parts, so I know I'm not
          > > the only one off Guy out there.
          >
          > I buy what I need direct from MCL UK. On one or two occasions I've
          > bought 50 pieces, and sold the excess to fellow hams, to get the cost
          > down. I didn't have any problems getting rid of them.
          >
          > 73, Leon
          > --
          > Leon Heller
          > G1HSM

        • Zack Widup
          Message 4 of 19 , Oct 12, 2012
            Mini-Circuits will sell small quantities of parts. I have bought 3 or
            4 mixers at a time from them. I do believe they give you a price break
            on larger quantities. In fact, I think 10 of one of the ADE series
            mixer that I bought turned out to be cheaper than buying only four!

            73, Zack W9SZ

            On 10/11/12, electricham@... <chr1s.wynk00p@...> wrote:
            > All,
            >
            > I hope this is not too off topic, but I was hoping to get an idea on where
            > you guys get your Minicircuits parts? Sometimes they offer the part I need
            > but only in larger quantities. Clearly, this is a problem! :-) I have
            > seen many kits out there with these parts, so I know I'm not the only one
            > off Guy out there.
            >
            > Thanks!
            >
            > 73

          • Leon Heller
            Message 5 of 19 , Oct 12, 2012
              On 12/10/2012 13:55, electricham@... wrote:
              > Leon,
              >
              > Thanks loads for the feedback! I was wondering about a bulk order and
              > then selling what I didn't need. Do you have a recommendation on where
              > to try to get interest in a batch order from other HAM's or do you just
              > talk to the HAM's you know personally?

              I think I mentioned the offer on the QRP-L and GQRP lists, and got rid
              of most of them that way. I sold the remainder on Ebay.

              73, Leon
              --
              Leon Heller
              G1HSM
              Message 6 of 19 , Oct 12, 2012
                Leon:
                  You could try this group or other Yahoo groups such as UHFSDR, ARRLHBC.

                Dave -WB6DHW
                <http://wb6dhw.com>

                On 10/12/2012 5:55 AM, electricham@... wrote:

                Leon,

                Thanks loads for the feedback! I was wondering about a bulk order and then selling what I didn't need. Do you have a recommendation on where to try to get interest in a batch order from other HAM's or do you just talk to the HAM's you know personally?

                Thanks!
                73

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Leon Heller <leon355@...> wrote:

                > On 12/10/2012 04:14, electricham@... wrote:
                > > All,
                > >
                > > I hope this is not too off topic, but I was hoping to get an idea on
                > > where you guys get your Minicircuits parts? Sometimes they offer the
                > > part I need but only in larger quantities. Clearly, this is a problem!
                > > :-) I have seen many kits out there with these parts, so I know I'm not
                > > the only one off Guy out there.
                >
                > I buy what I need direct from MCL UK. On one or two occasions I've
                > bought 50 pieces, and sold the excess to fellow hams, to get the cost
                > down. I didn't have any problems getting rid of them.
                >
                > 73, Leon
                > --
                > Leon Heller
                > G1HSM

              • John
                Message 7 of 19 , Oct 14, 2012
                  I was reading one of DG8SAQ's pages http://www.mydarc.de/dg8saq/switchimpedance/index.shtml where he measures the input impedance to the RX mixer.
                  On the same page he mentions replacing the two 10 Ohm resistors on the mixer inputs with shorting links.

                  I have just tried this with the folowing result:

                  With the two 10 Ohm resistors:

                  Frequency 1.977 MHz
                  With a 50 Ohm resistor connected to the SoftRock antenna input HDSDR noise peaks are about -125dB
                  With a signal generator set to -93 dBm connected to the SoftRock antenna input the signal peak is about -110 dB

                  Without the two 10 Ohm resisors:

                  Frequency 1.977 MHz
                  With a 50 Ohm resistor connected to the SoftRock antenna input HDSDR noise peaks are about -125dB
                  With a signal generator set to -93 dBm connected to the SoftRock antenna input the signal peak is about -104 dB

                  This appears to have improved signal + noise / noise ratio by 6 dB

                  Has anyone else tried this?

                  John G3UGY
                • David Turnbull
                  Message 8 of 19 , Oct 14, 2012
                    Hi John,

                    Don't forget that changing these resistor values will alter the filter response.

                    73 David AE9RB
                    http://AE9RB.com/

                    Message 9 of 19 , Oct 14, 2012
                      Subject: [softrock40] RXTX v6.3 improved signal to noise

                      John,

                      I'm no expert but what is the noise you see on HDSDR?
                      I suspect it is op-amp noise.
                      Certainly on lower frequencies antenna noise overcomes this.
                      Removing the 10Rs will increase the front end gain without altering the op-amp noise.
                      Seems to me that you are measuring the wrong SNR?

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      Message 10 of 19 , Oct 15, 2012
                        Alan,

                        Those 10 ohm resistors before the mixer are dropping precious nanovolts of wanted signal. Worsening signal to noise ratio.

                        John G3UGY

                        Message 11 of 19 , Oct 15, 2012
                          Hi David,

                          The stock band pass filters are <extremely> broad.
                          The response on the spectrum analyzer and tracking generator looks the same shape as with the resistors.

                          John G3UGY

                          Message 12 of 19 , Oct 15, 2012

                            >Those 10 ohm resistors before the mixer are dropping precious nanovolts of wanted signal. Worsening signal to noise ratio.

                            John,

                            It does not seem that simple to me.
                            My initial thought was "After many years of Softrocks how could this be?"
                            6dB is a big difference.
                            From a practical point of view with a Softrock connected to a good antenna what difference will it make?
                            On a sufficiently sensitive low noise receiver SNR is established at the antenna input. Signal/atmospheric etc. noise. Provided the
                            receiver adds no noise the SNR is fixed. Indeed with the lower frequencies an attenuator can be used with no effect on SNR. Tony
                            uses attenuators in the Ensemble RX.

                            Now, maybe on the higher frequencies a Softrock might need to be a little more sensitive. I understand this is sometimes done by
                            using a low noise card and reducing op-amp gain. So why, apart from Tom, has nobody suggested removing the resistors?
                            What are they doing? Is there something else that is degraded if they are removed? Are they an integral part of the mixer?

                            73 Alan G4ZFQ
                          • John
                            Message 13 of 19 , Oct 15, 2012
                              Alan,

                              If I get a chance I will put the resistors back in and measure the minimum detectable signal and compare.

                              DG8SAQ also mentions that the impedance looking into the mixer is closer to 50 Ohms without the resistors than with them as measured on his vector network analyzer.

                              John
                            • Milt Cram
                              Message 14 of 19 , Oct 15, 2012
                                On 10/14/2012 12:01 PM, John wrote:
[...]

                                Hi All,

                                Shouldn't impedance matching be done with reactive components (transformers, capacitors and inductors)?  If the 10 ohm resistors are being used for impedance matching, they will both attenuate the signal, and contribute noise power.  This will reduce the S/N.  Removing them should improve S/N....?  If necessary, adjust the turns ratio of the input transformer to provide the impedance match.

                                73, Milt
                                W8NUE
                              • John

                                  Message 16 of 19 , Oct 15, 2012
[...]

                                    Additional comments regarding the 10 ohm resistors--

                                    I'm guessing that the 10 ohm resistors are also used to swamp the variations in the "on-resistance" of the switches.  At low HF frequencies, external noise probably dominates the S/N and the resistors "stabilize" the input impedance.  At higher frequencies, it would seem desirable to eliminate, as much as possible, resistors in the input circuitry.

                                    73, Milt
                                    W8NUE
                                  • Kees & Sandy
                                    Message 17 of 19 , Oct 15, 2012
                                      I agree. Any input impedance matching to the antenna will help and the VNA is a good tool to find out, but I assumed those resistors were in there also to maintain balance between the two inputs. Since you can have some resistance variation between the two FET switches, windings, etc adding 10 ohms will swamp those values. Another approach might be to take a good commercial input RF transformer from someone like Mini-Circuits and use it. You can also parallel FETs to "average" the resistance variation. As Milt suggests, you can adjust the turns ratio and then reduce the 10 ohm resistance so you see 50 ohms with the VNA. Another item that I've found makes a difference is to use bifilar wire for the secondary. Regardless of how much/little you twist the wires, it's not as good as bifilar wire.

                                      73 Kees K5BCQ

                                      Message 18 of 19 , Oct 15, 2012
                                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Milt Cram <w8nue@...> wrote:

                                        > Additional comments regarding the 10 ohm resistors--
                                        >
                                        > I'm guessing that the 10 ohm resistors are also used to swamp the
                                        > variations in the "on-resistance" of the switches. At low HF
                                        > frequencies, external noise probably dominates the S/N and the resistors
                                        > "stabilize" the input impedance. At higher frequencies, it would seem
                                        > desirable to eliminate, as much as possible, resistors in the input
                                        > circuitry.
                                        >
                                        > 73, Milt
                                        > W8NUE

                                        I agree with Milt. Shorting these resistors will improve SNR, but may degrade image rejection. There is a tradeoff, which is also frequency dependent.

                                        73, Mike