Re: Ensemble II Images all Bands -help

  • steel120@bellsouth.net
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 10, 2012
      Posted the ImagesII in the photos area, they are screen shots via the rf space function. Tnx everyone Bob

      > Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble II Images all Bands -help
      >

      > > I am having problems with Images, all bands.
      > >

      > Bob,
      >
      > Essentially the only way you get images is due to one channel missing.
      > You mean NO rejection, same each side?
      > Assuming the Softrock is good then look at the stereo audio lead for breaks or shorts.
      > Possibly mixer settings with balance control not centred.
      > Very rarely now, some cards require sample delay.
      >
      > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
      >

      > > Current setup
      > >
      > > Using RFspace Version 1.5 release 1048
      > >
      > > Computer is Custom Built,
      > > Gigabyte MB is GA-970A-UD3 AMD quad processor, 16gb mem,
      > > On board Audio is controled by Realtek ALC 889 Codec,
      > > Using line with two channels, set at 16 bit 192kcs
      > >
      > > I am sure somewhere there is a thread on this subject, however, I have not found much in the way
      > > of how to approach on image reduction. (RFspace has Image reduction which I have tried, but see no real
      > > changes in images)
      > >
      > > I will post a couple of screen shots, show image problem clearly on all bands. I will put these in the photos area with prefix
      > > ImagesII.
      > >
      > > I first thought that I may need a pre-selector prior to the Softrock Antenna input to clear these up,
      > > but they are in band vs out of band images.
      > >
      > > Second thought was this may be caused by a I/Q balance problem, but not sure of how to go about trouble
      > > shooting the input. Did try different sample rates and did not see any changes other than smaller band
      > > width of view, still had images.
      > > Also tried various levels for the line input adjustments, no changes noted.
      > >
      > > Gave some thought as to Ground loops to audio card, not sure about this either, have not tried any
      > > isolation transformers.
      > >
      > > Any suggestions feedback welcome.
      > >
      > > I have not tried other SDR Software, the RFspace 1.5 r1048 works very good, other than my image problem.
      > >
      > > This is a great little unit, and opened my eyes to the new technology.

    • vbifyz
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 10, 2012
        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "steel120@..." <steel120@...> wrote:

        > Posted the ImagesII in the photos area, they are screen shots via the rf space function. Tnx everyone Bob

        Consistent low image rejection (only 20dB in this case) is most likely caused by the off-center balance control in the Windows sound mixer. Even if it is something else, the I/Q imbalance of such magnitude is best fixed by this balance control.

        73, Mike
      • Mike Primeaux
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 10, 2012

          Bob,

          Did you try swapping stereo channels for the I/Q signals from the Softrock?  For example, if “I” is on “right” stereo channel, and “Q” is on “left” stereo channel, try to swap in RFSpace software configuration.

          Also, there is a “I/Q” crossover option on the Softrock pcb to swap I/Q outputs to the jack.

          Where to swap in software depends on the software used. I don’t know about the RFSPACE software.

          The other good idea I read on this forum was to check LineIn mixer balance.

          Best of luck. . .

          Mike

          AE5MP

          SoftRock Ensemble II - Built by Tony and ordered from Five Dash.

          Had the unit for about 4-5 weeks from Five Dash.

          Ensemble is Battery Powered-12 volt source charged up
          Coax 50 runs 50 feet to 4:1 balun feeding 450 ohm latter line to a 20 meter extended Zepp at 35-40'

[...]

          Thanks in Advance Bob

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 10, 2012

            > I have not tried other SDR Software, the RFspace 1.5 r1048 works very good, other than my image problem.

            Bob

            Try something else. It's best not to rely on just one software for problems like this.
            <http://sdrsharp.com/index.php/downloads> is simple and has good rejection. You can turn it off to be really sure how bad your
            system is.
            If it really is that bad try a different soundcard, maybe USB. Such low rejection is seen when a sample delay is required but much
            software does not have that feature.

            I'm not sure about SDR-Radio, the current version has been abandoned while Simon works on a new version.
            Or ask on the SDR-Radio group, maybe you are missing something.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Leonard McGarity
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 11, 2012
              Using SDR-IQ with V 1.5 SDR_RADIO, sometimes get images also. So not just with SoftRock does this happen. Come and go, not there at all this morning on 75M or 17M, see in LSB and USB.  17M about 19kc apart when there. I suspect something in house/nearby causing RFI. Next time it happens time to turn devices on/off, try different ants, etc., try find culprit. Link, WV4I
            • steel120@bellsouth.net
              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 11, 2012
                Thanks to all for the suggestions, after going back to the Option panel in SDR-Radio V 1.5 r 1048, and selecting the Image rejection option, ran this in Auto, after a sample time, It cured the problem.

                Images appear to be almost completely gone, I have posted a couple of after photo's. ImagesII-Gone

                Now I need to find a method to correct a few birdies, need some core's to try an reduce the birdies I think are coming from the monitor. Not sure, I have the KM5H kase for the ensemble, plus have stuff grounded. Off for another challenge.

                Thanks Again to all... Bob