Re: [softrock40] Re: VAC Driver Needs Signing on Win 7 Pro 64 Bit?

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 9, 2012
      Subject: Re: [softrock40] Re: VAC Driver Needs Signing on Win 7 Pro 64 Bit?

      >Is it possible to
      > install Windows 7 with some sort of tweak to turn off driver signing
      > ALTOGETHER?

      Chris,

      This was discussed before the USB drivers were signed.

      I think a utility was found that did turn it off.
      Search back, or Google.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Scott Zimmerman
      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 10, 2012
        follow the procedure in this link for a temp fix:
        http://www.winvistatips.com/driver-test-self-signing-windows-7-a-t821663.html

        It seems there is a utility out there that allows you to "fake out" win 7 to think that your driver
        is signed. (Watch for wrap):
        http://www.mydigitallife.info/force-load-unsigned-drivers-in-test-mode-easily-in-windows-7-or-vista-with-driver-signature-enforcement-overrider/

        Scott

        Scott Zimmerman
        Amateur Radio Call N3XCC
        474 Barnett Road
        Boswell, PA 15531

        On 10/9/2012 6:55 PM, Chris Wilson wrote:

        >> If you do f8 on w7/64 on start up it will give you an option to
        >> switch off need for signed drivers..
        >> hope this helps..jim gm3jsx
        >

        > 09/10/2012 23:52
        >
        > I have so far managed to avoid updating my OS beyond XP Pro. Amateur
        > radio aside I have a lot of automotive apps that will not run under
        > even 64 bit XP let alone the later distributions. Is it possible to
        > install Windows 7 with some sort of tweak to turn off driver signing
        > ALTOGETHER? Just curious, as the time will come where I guess I will
        > have to "upgrade". Thanks for the tip, very interesting.

      • pe0fko
        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 10, 2012
          >> It seems there is a utility out there that allows you to "fake out" win 7 to think that your driver is signed. (Watch for wrap):
          The tool not only affect this driver it also affect all drivers on your system, they don't need to be signed anymore. It will open your systems for hackers and old and buggy drivers.
          The tool (bcdedit.exe /set TESTSIGNING ON) is only for temporary testing of a driver, not for end-users!

          It is better to sign the driver with a code signing certificate. Buy, create or use a free certificate, first install the ROOT certificate from the singing certificate on your system (if not already there) then install the driver.

          73, Fred
          PE0FKO