Ensemble RXTX Help in LO stage

  • richard.lawn@ymail.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Oct 7, 2012
      Ok, I thought I found my problem. I had loaded all the required software, initialized the Ensemble from CFGSR, ran the test to see if P2/CW and CW showed function and then tested the oscillator using my receiver and by changing frequencies in CFGSR. All checked out. Then I measured the voltage at the opto-isolator and found I had 1.5 volts. Hmmm. I then checked the continuity of the T1 and found that somehow I had reversed things when I installed it and the primary and secondary leads were not where they should be. With some difficulty I removed T1 and rewound it with 2 turns. I then had to clear the holes of solder which i did and reinstalled the bifilar. Using CFGSR reinitialized and went through the various tests again. Now the oscillator is no longer functioning,voltage at the 0pto-isolator is much lower ta it should be and the only thing that checks out is the P2/CW and CW2 lines.

      Any suggestions. I've felt for a while now that I'm over my head with this kit and am ready to ask the group if there is anyone that would be willing to assemble it for me. I'm just not getting anywhere and certainly moving very slowly!

      Rick
      W2JAZ
      Message 2 of 2 , Oct 7, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble RXTX Help in LO stage

        > Ok, I thought I found my problem. I had loaded all the required software, initialized the Ensemble from CFGSR, ran the test to see
        > if P2/CW and CW showed function and then tested the oscillator using my receiver and by changing frequencies in CFGSR. All checked
        > out. Then I measured the voltage at the opto-isolator and found I had 1.5 volts. Hmmm. I then checked the continuity of the T1 and
        > found that somehow I had reversed things when I installed it and the primary and secondary leads were not where they should be.
        > With some difficulty I removed T1 and rewound it with 2 turns. I then had to clear the holes of solder which i did and reinstalled
        > the bifilar. Using CFGSR reinitialized and went through the various tests again. Now the oscillator is no longer
        > functioning,voltage at the 0pto-isolator is much lower ta it should be and the only thing that checks out is the P2/CW and CW2
        > lines.

        Rick,

        Are we still referring to this page <http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble/03_lo.htm> ?

        If so, then voltage at the 0pto-isolator should be less than 0V5 and can not be too low.
        Why was it 1V5? Was that before you configured the BPF?
        Also T1 cannot affect this voltage, or the actual operation of the oscillator.
        So look for something you have done, a solder splash perhaps.
        Or just carefully check again.
        Don't give up, don't worry about how fast you progress. Ask before you do anything.