Re: Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine?

  • yl2gqn
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
      Hello Tony,

      I use W7 32bit, old dell notebook, external USB Sound Card for I/Q, internal onboard sound card for audio in/out.

      All working fine with Rocky3.7, HDSDR, PowerSDR I/Q, Quisk.

      Need some tricks for Rocky and PowerSDR.

      1. Rocky can't see internal card under W7. In this case I use VAC redirect to internal sound card.

      2. With PowerSDR need to use internal VAC for audio in/out.

      No more problems or issues found.

      Regards,
      Andy. YL2QN.

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

      > Good Afternoon All,
      >
      > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
      >
      > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
      >
      > Thanks and 73,
      > Tony KB9YIG

    • Kenneth Hardy
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
        Tony

        Had to reply to you as I always use Rocky as I am only a CW op.and thinks Rocky gives the best display
        by far.
        I have Win 7 64 bit on a i3 laptop and using a Soundblaster 24 bit external USB card for I/Q input and
        I/Q output.
        When I open Rocky there is almost always a hot of crackle on rx and tx - BUT - I have found a trick where
        if you go to 'view settings' and wait a second ot two and then return to Rocky the noise disappears for
        always. It may take up to four or five changes to 'view settings' (no need to change any parameters)
        before all is quiet.
        This only takes a fewseconds and is fine by me as I  love this programme since I first used it with XP on
        a pentium

        Regards

        Ken M0XBK

        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012

          Tony,

          I’ve had lots of problems on W7/64 with Rocky and this is on a hot computer.  I’ve got smokin-hot computers at work that show the same sort of Rocky/W7 issues – stutters in the audio.

          I would suggest SDR# as a very simple program from people new to SDR.  Not as capable in some ways as Rocky, but very solid for what it does.  The single biggest problem with SDR# is it’s currently receive only.

          I really want to use Rocky because it’s very easy to understand, will transmit, and decode/encode PSK.  I keep hoping…

          Ron - ki6fhb

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
            Great tip Ken!

            This Win 7/ Rocky problem has been driving my crazy for months and I had almost given up. Your idea works perfectly on my machine.

            Anyone have any idea why this works?

            Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Hardy <kenahardy@...> wrote:

            > When I open Rocky there is almost always a hot of crackle on rx and tx - BUT - I have found a trick where
            > if you go to 'view settings' and wait a second ot two and then return to Rocky the noise disappears for
            > always. It may take up to four or five changes to 'view settings' (no need to change any parameters)
            > before all is quiet.
          • warrenallgyer
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
              Great tip Ken!

              This Win 7/ Rocky problem has been driving my crazy for months and I had almost given up. Your idea works perfectly on my machine.

              Anyone have any idea why this works?

              Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Hardy <kenahardy@...> wrote:

              > When I open Rocky there is almost always a hot of crackle on rx and tx - BUT - I have found a trick where
              > if you go to 'view settings' and wait a second ot two and then return to Rocky the noise disappears for
              > always. It may take up to four or five changes to 'view settings' (no need to change any parameters)
              > before all is quiet.
            • KQ8M
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 6, 2012

                Now that is really interesting. I am going to have to remember this when I use rocky next.

                73,

                Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                kq8m@...

                AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                This Win 7/ Rocky problem has been driving my crazy for months and I had almost given up. Your idea works perfectly on my machine.

                Anyone have any idea why this works?

                Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Hardy <kenahardy@...> wrote:

                > When I open Rocky there is almost always a hot of crackle on rx and tx - BUT - I have found a trick where
                > if you go to 'view settings' and wait a second ot two and then return to Rocky the noise disappears for
                > always. It may take up to four or five changes to 'view settings' (no need to change any parameters)
                > before all is quiet.

              • Kenneth Hardy
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 6, 2012
                  Warren
                  - thanks your comment but as to the why's and therefore's - I can only leave to the boffins!
                  best  regards