Re: Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine?

  • warrenallgyer
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
      Hi Tony

      I use Win XP on a netbook with a Griffin USB card for speakers out and the internal Realtek cards for Line In and Line out. This is my "air" machine, and it works well with Rocky on BPSK31 and CW. On this machine I also run WSPR and HDSDR with no problems.

      My second machine is Win 7 and on it I successfully run WSPR and HDSDR, however I get a lot of crackling and popping on Rocky and its operation is not satisfactory at all on Win 7. This machine is used primary as a test bed and is not normally operational.

      I have had several conversations with Alex about the Win7 performance and he simply says "Get a faster computer".

      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

      > Good Afternoon All,
      >
      > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
      >
      > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
      >
      > Thanks and 73,
      > Tony KB9YIG

    • MIKE DURKIN
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
        Load ubuntu with a dual boot .... loose some of that Win7 overhead.

        Mike KC7NOA

        To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        From: allgyer@...
        Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:19:49 +0000
        Subject: [softrock40] Re: Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine?

        Hi Tony

        I use Win XP on a netbook with a Griffin USB card for speakers out and the internal Realtek cards for Line In and Line out. This is my "air" machine, and it works well with Rocky on BPSK31 and CW. On this machine I also run WSPR and HDSDR with no problems.

        My second machine is Win 7 and on it I successfully run WSPR and HDSDR, however I get a lot of crackling and popping on Rocky and its operation is not satisfactory at all on Win 7. This machine is used primary as a test bed and is not normally operational.

        I have had several conversations with Alex about the Win7 performance and he simply says "Get a faster computer".

        Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

        > Good Afternoon All,
        >
        > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
        >
        > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
        >
        > Thanks and 73,
        > Tony KB9YIG

      • Ricardo Caratti
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
          I agree with you Mike.
          I can see that when I work with Database Management Systems (MySQL and PostgreSQL) and Web Application server (Apache or JBoss).
          But I would like to know what SDR program you recommend.

          73,
          PU2CLR.
          Ricardo.

          De: MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...>
          Para: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
          Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 4 de Outubro de 2012 20:31
          Assunto: RE: [softrock40] Re: Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine?

          To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
          From: allgyer@...
          Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:19:49 +0000

          Hi Tony

          I use Win XP on a netbook with a Griffin USB card for speakers out and the internal Realtek cards for Line In and Line out. This is my "air" machine, and it works well with Rocky on BPSK31 and CW. On this machine I also run WSPR and HDSDR with no problems.

          My second machine is Win 7 and on it I successfully run WSPR and HDSDR, however I get a lot of crackling and popping on Rocky and its operation is not satisfactory at all on Win 7. This machine is used primary as a test bed and is not normally operational.

          I have had several conversations with Alex about the Win7 performance and he simply says "Get a faster computer".

          Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

          > Good Afternoon All,
          >
          > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
          >
          > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
          >
          > Thanks and 73,
          > Tony KB9YIG

        • MIKE DURKIN
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
            Under Ubuntu ...
            Ill list in order if ease for me to get going (im still a noob -BTY)

            Quisk
            Linrad
            Ghpsdr3-alex

            To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

            De: MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...>
            Para: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

            To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
            From: allgyer@...
            Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:19:49 +0000

            Hi Tony

            I use Win XP on a netbook with a Griffin USB card for speakers out and the internal Realtek cards for Line In and Line out. This is my "air" machine, and it works well with Rocky on BPSK31 and CW. On this machine I also run WSPR and HDSDR with no problems.

            My second machine is Win 7 and on it I successfully run WSPR and HDSDR, however I get a lot of crackling and popping on Rocky and its operation is not satisfactory at all on Win 7. This machine is used primary as a test bed and is not normally operational.

            I have had several conversations with Alex about the Win7 performance and he simply says "Get a faster computer".

            Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

            > Good Afternoon All,
            >
            > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
            >
            > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
            >
            > Thanks and 73,
            > Tony KB9YIG

          • Ricardo Caratti
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
              Ok.
              Thanks.

              I will try Quisk first.

              73,
              PU2CLR.
              Ricardo.

              De: MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...>
              Para: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

              To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              From: allgyer@...
              Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:19:49 +0000

              Hi Tony

              I use Win XP on a netbook with a Griffin USB card for speakers out and the internal Realtek cards for Line In and Line out. This is my "air" machine, and it works well with Rocky on BPSK31 and CW. On this machine I also run WSPR and HDSDR with no problems.

              My second machine is Win 7 and on it I successfully run WSPR and HDSDR, however I get a lot of crackling and popping on Rocky and its operation is not satisfactory at all on Win 7. This machine is used primary as a test bed and is not normally operational.

              I have had several conversations with Alex about the Win7 performance and he simply says "Get a faster computer".

              Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

              > Good Afternoon All,
              >
              > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
              >
              > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
              >
              > Thanks and 73,
              > Tony KB9YIG

            • sv1eia
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
                Hi Tony,

                Same question for PowerSDR-IQ answered here
                -> groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/message/2579

                73,
                Christos SV1EIA

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                > Good Afternoon All,
                >
                > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
                >
                > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
                >
                > Thanks and 73,
                > Tony KB9YIG

              • yl2gqn
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
                  Hello Tony,

                  I use W7 32bit, old dell notebook, external USB Sound Card for I/Q, internal onboard sound card for audio in/out.

                  All working fine with Rocky3.7, HDSDR, PowerSDR I/Q, Quisk.

                  Need some tricks for Rocky and PowerSDR.

                  1. Rocky can't see internal card under W7. In this case I use VAC redirect to internal sound card.

                  2. With PowerSDR need to use internal VAC for audio in/out.

                  No more problems or issues found.

                  Regards,
                  Andy. YL2QN.

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                  > Good Afternoon All,
                  >
                  > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
                  >
                  > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
                  >
                  > Thanks and 73,
                  > Tony KB9YIG

                • Kenneth Hardy
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
                    Tony

                    Had to reply to you as I always use Rocky as I am only a CW op.and thinks Rocky gives the best display
                    by far.
                    I have Win 7 64 bit on a i3 laptop and using a Soundblaster 24 bit external USB card for I/Q input and
                    I/Q output.
                    When I open Rocky there is almost always a hot of crackle on rx and tx - BUT - I have found a trick where
                    if you go to 'view settings' and wait a second ot two and then return to Rocky the noise disappears for
                    always. It may take up to four or five changes to 'view settings' (no need to change any parameters)
                    before all is quiet.
                    This only takes a fewseconds and is fine by me as I  love this programme since I first used it with XP on
                    a pentium

                    Regards

                    Ken M0XBK

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012

                      Tony,

                      I’ve had lots of problems on W7/64 with Rocky and this is on a hot computer.  I’ve got smokin-hot computers at work that show the same sort of Rocky/W7 issues – stutters in the audio.

                      I would suggest SDR# as a very simple program from people new to SDR.  Not as capable in some ways as Rocky, but very solid for what it does.  The single biggest problem with SDR# is it’s currently receive only.

                      I really want to use Rocky because it’s very easy to understand, will transmit, and decode/encode PSK.  I keep hoping…

                      Ron - ki6fhb

                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
                        Great tip Ken!

                        This Win 7/ Rocky problem has been driving my crazy for months and I had almost given up. Your idea works perfectly on my machine.

                        Anyone have any idea why this works?

                        Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Hardy <kenahardy@...> wrote:

                        > When I open Rocky there is almost always a hot of crackle on rx and tx - BUT - I have found a trick where
                        > if you go to 'view settings' and wait a second ot two and then return to Rocky the noise disappears for
                        > always. It may take up to four or five changes to 'view settings' (no need to change any parameters)
                        > before all is quiet.
                      • warrenallgyer
                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
                          Great tip Ken!

                          This Win 7/ Rocky problem has been driving my crazy for months and I had almost given up. Your idea works perfectly on my machine.

                          Anyone have any idea why this works?

                          Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Hardy <kenahardy@...> wrote:

                          > When I open Rocky there is almost always a hot of crackle on rx and tx - BUT - I have found a trick where
                          > if you go to 'view settings' and wait a second ot two and then return to Rocky the noise disappears for
                          > always. It may take up to four or five changes to 'view settings' (no need to change any parameters)
                          > before all is quiet.
                        • KQ8M
                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 6, 2012

                            Now that is really interesting. I am going to have to remember this when I use rocky next.

                            73,

                            Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                            Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                            kq8m@...

                            AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                            This Win 7/ Rocky problem has been driving my crazy for months and I had almost given up. Your idea works perfectly on my machine.

                            Anyone have any idea why this works?

                            Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Hardy <kenahardy@...> wrote:

                            > When I open Rocky there is almost always a hot of crackle on rx and tx - BUT - I have found a trick where
                            > if you go to 'view settings' and wait a second ot two and then return to Rocky the noise disappears for
                            > always. It may take up to four or five changes to 'view settings' (no need to change any parameters)
                            > before all is quiet.

                          • Kenneth Hardy
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 6, 2012
                              Warren
                              - thanks your comment but as to the why's and therefore's - I can only leave to the boffins!
                              best  regards