Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine?

  • kb9yig
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
      Good Afternoon All,

      I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.

      The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?

      Thanks and 73,
      Tony KB9YIG
    • Russ Ramirez
      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
        Tony, HDSDR v2.15 and PowerSDR 2.3.5 work fine with the latest libUSB0.dll on W7 64-bit, desktop with Xonar DS sound card and HP laptop with IDT (beatsaudio) chipset. I actually have not been able to get Rocky 3.7 to work yet - don't really care either. I can supply any other details if you want/need them.

        Russ
        K0WFS

        On Thu, Oct 4, 2012 at 2:33 PM, kb9yig <kb9yig@...> wrote:

        Good Afternoon All,

        I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.

        The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?

        Thanks and 73,
        Tony KB9YIG

      • warrenallgyer
        Message 3 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
          Hi Tony

          I use Win XP on a netbook with a Griffin USB card for speakers out and the internal Realtek cards for Line In and Line out. This is my "air" machine, and it works well with Rocky on BPSK31 and CW. On this machine I also run WSPR and HDSDR with no problems.

          My second machine is Win 7 and on it I successfully run WSPR and HDSDR, however I get a lot of crackling and popping on Rocky and its operation is not satisfactory at all on Win 7. This machine is used primary as a test bed and is not normally operational.

          I have had several conversations with Alex about the Win7 performance and he simply says "Get a faster computer".

          Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

          > Good Afternoon All,
          >
          > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
          >
          > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
          >
          > Thanks and 73,
          > Tony KB9YIG

        • MIKE DURKIN
          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
            Load ubuntu with a dual boot .... loose some of that Win7 overhead.

            Mike KC7NOA

            To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
            From: allgyer@...
            Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:19:49 +0000
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine?

            Hi Tony

            I use Win XP on a netbook with a Griffin USB card for speakers out and the internal Realtek cards for Line In and Line out. This is my "air" machine, and it works well with Rocky on BPSK31 and CW. On this machine I also run WSPR and HDSDR with no problems.

            My second machine is Win 7 and on it I successfully run WSPR and HDSDR, however I get a lot of crackling and popping on Rocky and its operation is not satisfactory at all on Win 7. This machine is used primary as a test bed and is not normally operational.

            I have had several conversations with Alex about the Win7 performance and he simply says "Get a faster computer".

            Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

            > Good Afternoon All,
            >
            > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
            >
            > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
            >
            > Thanks and 73,
            > Tony KB9YIG

          • Ricardo Caratti
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
              I agree with you Mike.
              I can see that when I work with Database Management Systems (MySQL and PostgreSQL) and Web Application server (Apache or JBoss).
              But I would like to know what SDR program you recommend.

              73,
              PU2CLR.
              Ricardo.

              De: MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...>
              Para: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              Enviadas: Quinta-feira, 4 de Outubro de 2012 20:31
              Assunto: RE: [softrock40] Re: Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine?

              To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              From: allgyer@...
              Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:19:49 +0000

              Hi Tony

              I use Win XP on a netbook with a Griffin USB card for speakers out and the internal Realtek cards for Line In and Line out. This is my "air" machine, and it works well with Rocky on BPSK31 and CW. On this machine I also run WSPR and HDSDR with no problems.

              My second machine is Win 7 and on it I successfully run WSPR and HDSDR, however I get a lot of crackling and popping on Rocky and its operation is not satisfactory at all on Win 7. This machine is used primary as a test bed and is not normally operational.

              I have had several conversations with Alex about the Win7 performance and he simply says "Get a faster computer".

              Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

              > Good Afternoon All,
              >
              > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
              >
              > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
              >
              > Thanks and 73,
              > Tony KB9YIG

            • MIKE DURKIN
              Message 6 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
                Under Ubuntu ...
                Ill list in order if ease for me to get going (im still a noob -BTY)

                Quisk
                Linrad
                Ghpsdr3-alex

                To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                De: MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...>
                Para: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                From: allgyer@...
                Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:19:49 +0000

                Hi Tony

                I use Win XP on a netbook with a Griffin USB card for speakers out and the internal Realtek cards for Line In and Line out. This is my "air" machine, and it works well with Rocky on BPSK31 and CW. On this machine I also run WSPR and HDSDR with no problems.

                My second machine is Win 7 and on it I successfully run WSPR and HDSDR, however I get a lot of crackling and popping on Rocky and its operation is not satisfactory at all on Win 7. This machine is used primary as a test bed and is not normally operational.

                I have had several conversations with Alex about the Win7 performance and he simply says "Get a faster computer".

                Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                > Good Afternoon All,
                >
                > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
                >
                > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
                >
                > Thanks and 73,
                > Tony KB9YIG

              • Ricardo Caratti
                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
                  Ok.
                  Thanks.

                  I will try Quisk first.

                  73,
                  PU2CLR.
                  Ricardo.

                  De: MIKE DURKIN <Patriot121@...>
                  Para: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

                  To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                  From: allgyer@...
                  Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 23:19:49 +0000

                  Hi Tony

                  I use Win XP on a netbook with a Griffin USB card for speakers out and the internal Realtek cards for Line In and Line out. This is my "air" machine, and it works well with Rocky on BPSK31 and CW. On this machine I also run WSPR and HDSDR with no problems.

                  My second machine is Win 7 and on it I successfully run WSPR and HDSDR, however I get a lot of crackling and popping on Rocky and its operation is not satisfactory at all on Win 7. This machine is used primary as a test bed and is not normally operational.

                  I have had several conversations with Alex about the Win7 performance and he simply says "Get a faster computer".

                  Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                  > Good Afternoon All,
                  >
                  > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
                  >
                  > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
                  >
                  > Thanks and 73,
                  > Tony KB9YIG

                • sv1eia
                  Message 8 of 15 , Oct 4, 2012
                    Hi Tony,

                    Same question for PowerSDR-IQ answered here
                    -> groups.yahoo.com/group/powersdr-iq/message/2579

                    73,
                    Christos SV1EIA

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                    > Good Afternoon All,
                    >
                    > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
                    >
                    > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
                    >
                    > Thanks and 73,
                    > Tony KB9YIG

                  • yl2gqn
                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
                      Hello Tony,

                      I use W7 32bit, old dell notebook, external USB Sound Card for I/Q, internal onboard sound card for audio in/out.

                      All working fine with Rocky3.7, HDSDR, PowerSDR I/Q, Quisk.

                      Need some tricks for Rocky and PowerSDR.

                      1. Rocky can't see internal card under W7. In this case I use VAC redirect to internal sound card.

                      2. With PowerSDR need to use internal VAC for audio in/out.

                      No more problems or issues found.

                      Regards,
                      Andy. YL2QN.

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "kb9yig" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                      > Good Afternoon All,
                      >
                      > I do all my testing of Ensemble receivers and transceivers on a XP machine with a Delta 44 soundcard. Works reliably and get me though the testing of built Ensemble units. However, people using W7 machines seem to have trouble getting built Ensemble boards to function properly.
                      >
                      > The question is then: are people having any success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine? If no success with Rocky 3.7 on a W7 machine, what SDR software is playing properly?
                      >
                      > Thanks and 73,
                      > Tony KB9YIG

                    • Kenneth Hardy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
                        Tony

                        Had to reply to you as I always use Rocky as I am only a CW op.and thinks Rocky gives the best display
                        by far.
                        I have Win 7 64 bit on a i3 laptop and using a Soundblaster 24 bit external USB card for I/Q input and
                        I/Q output.
                        When I open Rocky there is almost always a hot of crackle on rx and tx - BUT - I have found a trick where
                        if you go to 'view settings' and wait a second ot two and then return to Rocky the noise disappears for
                        always. It may take up to four or five changes to 'view settings' (no need to change any parameters)
                        before all is quiet.
                        This only takes a fewseconds and is fine by me as I  love this programme since I first used it with XP on
                        a pentium

                        Regards

                        Ken M0XBK

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012

                          Tony,

                          I’ve had lots of problems on W7/64 with Rocky and this is on a hot computer.  I’ve got smokin-hot computers at work that show the same sort of Rocky/W7 issues – stutters in the audio.

                          I would suggest SDR# as a very simple program from people new to SDR.  Not as capable in some ways as Rocky, but very solid for what it does.  The single biggest problem with SDR# is it’s currently receive only.

                          I really want to use Rocky because it’s very easy to understand, will transmit, and decode/encode PSK.  I keep hoping…

                          Ron - ki6fhb

                          Message 12 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
                            Great tip Ken!

                            This Win 7/ Rocky problem has been driving my crazy for months and I had almost given up. Your idea works perfectly on my machine.

                            Anyone have any idea why this works?

                            Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Hardy <kenahardy@...> wrote:

                            > When I open Rocky there is almost always a hot of crackle on rx and tx - BUT - I have found a trick where
                            > if you go to 'view settings' and wait a second ot two and then return to Rocky the noise disappears for
                            > always. It may take up to four or five changes to 'view settings' (no need to change any parameters)
                            > before all is quiet.
                          • warrenallgyer
                            Message 13 of 15 , Oct 5, 2012
                              Great tip Ken!

                              This Win 7/ Rocky problem has been driving my crazy for months and I had almost given up. Your idea works perfectly on my machine.

                              Anyone have any idea why this works?

                              Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Hardy <kenahardy@...> wrote:

                              > When I open Rocky there is almost always a hot of crackle on rx and tx - BUT - I have found a trick where
                              > if you go to 'view settings' and wait a second ot two and then return to Rocky the noise disappears for
                              > always. It may take up to four or five changes to 'view settings' (no need to change any parameters)
                              > before all is quiet.
                            • KQ8M
                              Message 14 of 15 , Oct 6, 2012

                                Now that is really interesting. I am going to have to remember this when I use rocky next.

                                73,

                                Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                                Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                                kq8m@...

                                AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                                This Win 7/ Rocky problem has been driving my crazy for months and I had almost given up. Your idea works perfectly on my machine.

                                Anyone have any idea why this works?

                                Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Kenneth Hardy <kenahardy@...> wrote:

                                > When I open Rocky there is almost always a hot of crackle on rx and tx - BUT - I have found a trick where
                                > if you go to 'view settings' and wait a second ot two and then return to Rocky the noise disappears for
                                > always. It may take up to four or five changes to 'view settings' (no need to change any parameters)
                                > before all is quiet.

                              • Kenneth Hardy
                                Message 15 of 15 , Oct 6, 2012
                                  Warren
                                  - thanks your comment but as to the why's and therefore's - I can only leave to the boffins!
                                  best  regards