RXTX odd power output

  • KQ8M
    Message 1 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012

      I hope someone can help me.

      I have an RXTX here built for 40, 30 and 20. I get 1w out on 40, 1/2w on 30 and about a 1/4w on 20. I have replaced the 3 BS170's. Rewound all of the transformers and coils. Replaced the 2n2222. Replaced the FST3253. I have not replaced Q9-11 yet. Receive works great on all bands.

      Does anyone have any idea what I am missing?

      73,

      Tim Herrick, KQ8M

      Charter Member North Coast Contesters

      kq8m@...

      AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

    • Jim
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012
        Hi Tim! Are you sure you are really getting 1 watt on 40?   With out the LPF inserted I to appear to have considerable more output on 40 due to the harmonic on 20..

        DE N8XYN Jim

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012

          Good suggestion, Jim.

          Maybe I will have to look at my Spectrum Analyzer.

          Anyhow, with all of the replacement parts not much more left to look at. Lol The HUGE problem I have is not having a good QRP Watt meter. I ordered a kit form a guy but he is busy with other things so it is low on his list of things to get done. I will try some of Bob's suggestions he had given me. Time to pull out the scope also. Lol I am thinking of building another one for this Gentleman I am building this for.

          Just compared this to my good one and on 20 I get 155mA current draw where with the good one I get 270mA, on 30 130/300 40 124/300. This is with Rocky and single tone. Using Rocky with no tone each bad draw the same current on both.

          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 1, 2012

            I believe I have found the problem. How about T4 would 3t/5t Bi. OOPPSSSS backwards. Should be 3T bi and 5T.

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 2, 2012
              Since I have done the same steps (changing the Q's) while trying to find out why my ensemble just uses between 74 and 83 mA when SSB-ing and NOT having any HF-output at all (not even enough for driving a frequency-counter) I wil dismantle the T's too....

              Hopefully my kit becomes airborne afterwards....

              Martin Groenendaal PD0ZZ Netherlands