Re: [softrock40] Need more audio

  • Albert Gerheim
    Message 1 of 15 , Oct 1, 2012
      That looks like a winner!  I didn't fool with those settings in PSDR because of the warning!

      You have saved me hours of "trouble"!

      On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 9:16 AM, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:

      Page 77 of the SDR-1000 manual has the output voltage calibration procedure. The output voltage calibration is only shown when you have unsupported card listed. The default is 2.23 volts. On my widget I had to set it to 0.75V to get 1W output.

      John

      On 10/1/2012 7:57 AM, Albert Gerheim wrote:

      I'm running PSDR, but not the Delta 44.  I eventually worked out a calibration technique for the D44, but it's in a dead PC right now.

      On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:51 AM, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:

      Al,

      Are you using PSDR? If so, have you calibrated the output audio voltage using the included test tone? PSDR with the Delta 44 comes pre-configured so you may not have seen the procedure. It is documented in the Flex manual. I had to change mine considerably to drive my widget to 1W output.

      John

      On 10/1/2012 7:29 AM, alpg49 wrote:

      This may have come up earlier.

      I am forced to use a SoundBlaster X-FI card. Even after I run the volume control(s) all the way up, I still can't drive the softrocks to 1W output. 3dB gain would be just great, 6dB would give me some slack!

      I happen to know the softrocks are capable of going higher because I've used them with a Delta44.

      Is there a software or cheap hardware fix for this? Cheap stereo amp? Audio isolation transformer with turns ratio other than 1:1? Jimmy the softrock part values to give more sensitivity?

      -Al Gerheim, K1QN

      ... I'm forced to use the outboard audio card because the replacement PC is "low form factor", and the Delta44 won't fit. Besides, I'm planning to use it with laptops.

      --

      John Williams

      KE5SSH - ham since 2007
      WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

      --
      Al Gerheim
      Adopt a Homeless Pet

      Message 2 of 15 , Oct 1, 2012
        I did the calibration procedure.  It's intended for the Flex hardware, but, in theory, would allow the output voltage to be adjusted appropriately no matter which card is in use.

        In practice, no matter what output voltage I entered in the setup menu, I got about 650mv maximum out during use, and 1.260 v out during the calibration.  650mv drives the softrock transmitter to about 800mw out.

        It's confusing that the software could drive the card to 1.26 v during the test, but couldn't be driven past 600mv in operation.

        I'm using digital modes only, and used Digipan to create the "in use" signals.  I get the same results with other digital programs (JT65-HF, WSPR, MMTTY).

          Message 4 of 15 , Oct 1, 2012
            That's about what I saw before.  I think the calibration signal is a sine wave.  The double-tone for psk may have a different form factor (peak to rms ratio).

            I'd really like to be able to overdrive it.  Then I get plenty of slack.  I had to work out a calibration table for each mode and band, but I could hit 1W no matter what.

            ... the other way to look at it is, it's only 1dB!  3dB would make it worth the effort!

            I'm going to go into standby till I get my replacement PC on wednesday.  :-)

          • yl2gqn
            Message 5 of 15 , Oct 1, 2012
              Hello,

              I'm use SoundBlaster X-FI card with my Softrock RXTX and PSDR.

              The default calibration settings is not drive softrock tx as necessary. I change settings to 0.8 . The lower value give you more drive, but you must be carefully, because signal wave can be bad on lower values and you will have parasitic signals inside band. These parasitic can be very strong. For example, skimmers give me a good reports for main frequency as well for few parasitic. Use oscilloscope to control wave form and do not overdrive.

              Regards,
              Andy YL2QN
            • Albert Gerheim

                Message 7 of 15 , Oct 2, 2012
                  Al,
                  I use that card with PSDR and a netbook. I have sufficient audio output with my 40,30,20 RXTX.
                  I do believe the voltage setting affects the output level. I don't use any SB software at all- only drivers Windows offers.

                  John
                  KC9OJV

                    Message 9 of 15 , Oct 2, 2012

                      > I get about 1.2 - 1.3 volts out
                      (rms) maximum on one channel.

                      Which is more than enough to drive a Softrock.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • John Greusel
                      Message 10 of 15 , Oct 2, 2012
                        Al,
                        I'll check when I get home.
                        I seem to remember getting close to 1.8 v but my memory could be foggy. :-)

                        John

                        Message 11 of 15 , Oct 2, 2012
                          ... not "my" softrocks.  :-)   I have a 40,30,20 which works OK with the card at full volume, and I also have a (17),15,12, 10M which only gets to about 700mW out at full volume.  Keep in mind, with more complex waveforms like PSK, the shape factor will reduce the RMS value when peak-to-peak is at maximum.  I get 1.2V with a pure sinusoid (JT65 or RTTY).

                          On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:18 AM, Alan <alan4alan@...> wrote:

                          Which is more than enough to drive a Softrock.

                          <*> Your email settings:
                              Individual Email | Traditional

                          <*> To change settings online go to:
                              (Yahoo! ID required)