Changing softrocks USB problem

  • alpg49
    Message 1 of 6 , Oct 1, 2012
      I have 2 softrocks. To change them with "some PC's", I just kill PSDR, switch the USB cables, and restart PSDR. No problems. With "other PC's", I have to switch the USB cables, then restart the whole PC. I followed the same instructions to install the driver on "all PC's".

      In a perfect world, the 2 cards should be software-selectable. I'd really like to avoid the PC restart just to change bands.

      Any ideas?

      -Al Gerheim, K1QN
    • John Williams
      Message 2 of 6 , Oct 1, 2012
        Al,

        I seem to recall a procedure to assign a serial number to the receiver so that it could be uniquely identified. Search back in the archives for multiple receiver serial and see what you get.

        John

        --

        John Williams

        KE5SSH - ham since 2007
        WQKA523 - GMRS for family use on the farm

      • Albert Gerheim
        Message 3 of 6 , Oct 1, 2012
          I know I fooled around with the serial numbers while I was writing my own s/w.  The problem is, PSDR doesn't ask for serial numbers.  If I select the serial number with CFGSR, will PSDR pick up the same card?  I"ll have to check it out when I get it all wired up again.  (At the moment, I'm using it with my "traveling" laptop.)

          On Mon, Oct 1, 2012 at 8:54 AM, John Williams <KE5SSH@...> wrote:

[...]

          Adopt a Homeless Pet
          http://www.petfinder.com
        • Scott Zimmerman
          Message 4 of 6 , Oct 2, 2012
            I know this is an odd question for a (primarily) low-band related subject, but this is somewhat of
            an odd application, so it *should* end up as a wash. HIHI

            I'm thinking of using a VHF/UHF version of the Ensemble II to receive multiple 2M/UHF repeater input
            frequencies, then send them back to their respective repeater sites via VoIP to be voted with their
            "main" receivers. I am wondering if anyone has ever done anything like this before, and if so, how
            it worked out for them.

            It seems to me as though I could have an Ensemble II running into a soundcard on the "decoder" PC.
            (or Raspberry PI module) The output of the sound card would need to be virtually split into
            multiple feeds. (using Virtual Audio Cable) Each of these feeds would run to an instance of some
            sort of *simple* (Read: non-CPU hog) SDR FM receiver software to decode each "channel." Each
            decoded channel would then be fed again though Virtual Audio Cable (or an actual audio cable) to an
            AllStar Node running the XIPAR package. (The remote VoIP voting software)

            I guess in my analysis of the above, the first thing to find is a simple FM SDR receiver software
            package. (Preferably running under linux) Anyone have any suggestions?

            I know this is "outside the box," but I like to push the envelope on occasion. HIHI

            Scott

            Scott Zimmerman
            Amateur Radio Call N3XCC
            474 Barnett Road
            Boswell, PA 15531
          • Mathison Ott

              Message 6 of 6 , Oct 3, 2012
                > your going to need an amp! for 50w.
                <-- My intentions were to utilize this site as a remote receive site for many repeaters, NOT as a
                full-blown repeater site.

                I've ordered a couple of the RTL2832/E4000 based devices from FleaBay. I'll play around with them,
                but I think they'll work just fine. Thanks for the idea.

                It seems as though Osmocom might just do the trick for decoding multiple streams from this one
                device. Thanks for the ideas.

                Scott

                Scott Zimmerman
                Amateur Radio Call N3XCC