Re: [softrock40] CB radio reception with Softrock RX Ensemble II and HDSDR?

  • Chris Wilson
    Message 1 of 12 , Sep 29, 2012
      > I've just tried some CB Frequencies on my ensemble II RX and can resolve FM
      > transmissions I set the audio to 3Khz bandwidth and they seem to sound ok to
      > me.

      > I'm using a 102ft doublet (ex G5RV) antenna.

      > I'm usuing SDR-Radio not HDSDR (as I'm remoting in from work) but could try
      > later in HDSDR when I get home.

      > Norman
      > M0JEC

      29/09/2012 16:31

      Thanks Norman, I wonder if as nwmonitor says, it was just a lack of
      activity? Is all UK CB stuff on FM or do they use SSB as well? It's
      years since I had anything to do with CB, I suspect much has changed.
      If you have time and inclination to see if you pick up CB with HDSDR
      I'd be interested to know what you hear. Thanks for the reply.

      --
      Best Regards,
      Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
      Message 2 of 12 , Sep 30, 2012
        Hi all

        CB FM is petty much the same as Ham radio FM in terms of deviation so most SDR software will demodulate it OK with good audio recovery.

        The prerequisits for receiving CB is first that you Soft Rock actually covers an active CB band.(Around 26 to 28mHz).
        Next is an antenna, say a Dipole or Ground Plane cut to resonance. The GP is probably best since most CB is vertically polarised.
        And that there is activity in your area or you will have to wait for propagation conditions to improve although we are seeing a lot of single skip and "E" activity nearly every day now. When its good its really really good but most of the time its non existant.
        Good luck Pete M0FMT

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

        > 29/09/2012 14:20
        >
        > I lent my receiver to a friend who is now thinking of building one for
        > himself. I don't know much about CB in Europe and the UK, where I am
        > based, but my pal commented he couldn't receive ant CB transmissions.
        > Is this because they are mainly on narrow FM and it can't receive that
        > mode, or what? Thanks.
        >
        > --
        > Best Regards,
        > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
        > mailto: chris@...

      • Ricardo Navarrete
        Message 3 of 12 , Sep 30, 2012

          you can see the activity in ssb in cb here http://cbweb.cbcluster.es/
          good luck!

          El 30/09/2012 11:51, "m0fmt" <m0fmt@...> escribió:

          Hi all

          CB FM is petty much the same as Ham radio FM in terms of deviation so most SDR software will demodulate it OK with good audio recovery.

          The prerequisits for receiving CB is first that you Soft Rock actually covers an active CB band.(Around 26 to 28mHz).
          Next is an antenna, say a Dipole or Ground Plane cut to resonance. The GP is probably best since most CB is vertically polarised.
          And that there is activity in your area or you will have to wait for propagation conditions to improve although we are seeing a lot of single skip and "E" activity nearly every day now. When its good its really really good but most of the time its non existant.
          Good luck Pete M0FMT

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

          > 29/09/2012 14:20
          >
          > I lent my receiver to a friend who is now thinking of building one for
          > himself. I don't know much about CB in Europe and the UK, where I am
          > based, but my pal commented he couldn't receive ant CB transmissions.
          > Is this because they are mainly on narrow FM and it can't receive that
          > mode, or what? Thanks.
          >
          > --
          > Best Regards,
          > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
          > mailto: chris@...

        • Ricardo Caratti
          Message 4 of 12 , Sep 30, 2012
            I have had good reception in CB band using HDSDR, Ensemble RX II and a homebrew Magnetic Loop antenna.
            There are a lot of CB band users in Brazil.
            I posted a youtube video showing a reception test.
            You can see that via: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=xGO49-QOxVo

            73, PU2CLR.
            Ricardo.

            De: Ricardo Navarrete <ricardoea4zk@...>
            Para: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
            Enviadas: Domingo, 30 de Setembro de 2012 8:04
            Assunto: Re: [softrock40] Re: CB radio reception with Softrock RX Ensemble II and HDSDR?

            you can see the activity in ssb in cb here http://cbweb.cbcluster.es/
            good luck!
            El 30/09/2012 11:51, "m0fmt" <m0fmt@...> escribió:

            Hi all

            CB FM is petty much the same as Ham radio FM in terms of deviation so most SDR software will demodulate it OK with good audio recovery.

            The prerequisits for receiving CB is first that you Soft Rock actually covers an active CB band.(Around 26 to 28mHz).
            Next is an antenna, say a Dipole or Ground Plane cut to resonance. The GP is probably best since most CB is vertically polarised.
            And that there is activity in your area or you will have to wait for propagation conditions to improve although we are seeing a lot of single skip and "E" activity nearly every day now. When its good its really really good but most of the time its non existant.
            Good luck Pete M0FMT

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@...> wrote:

            > 29/09/2012 14:20
            >
            > I lent my receiver to a friend who is now thinking of building one for
            > himself. I don't know much about CB in Europe and the UK, where I am
            > based, but my pal commented he couldn't receive ant CB transmissions.
            > Is this because they are mainly on narrow FM and it can't receive that
            > mode, or what? Thanks.
            >
            > --
            > Best Regards,
            > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
            > mailto: chris@...

          • cc_photo
            Message 5 of 12 , Sep 30, 2012
              In the U.S., the 26/27 MHz CB band is either AM, or SSB modulation.

              And the band has been mostly very quiet yet on this Solar Cycle.

              Roland, KB8XI

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "m0fmt" <m0fmt@...> wrote:

              > Hi all
              >
              > CB FM is petty much the same as Ham radio FM in terms of deviation so most SDR software will demodulate it OK with good audio recovery.
              >
              > The prerequisits for receiving CB is first that you Soft Rock actually covers an active CB band.(Around 26 to 28mHz).
              > Next is an antenna, say a Dipole or Ground Plane cut to resonance. The GP is probably best since most CB is vertically polarised.
              > And that there is activity in your area or you will have to wait for propagation conditions to improve although we are seeing a lot of single skip and "E" activity nearly every day now. When its good its really really good but most of the time its non existant.
              > Good luck Pete M0FMT
              >
              > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@> wrote:
              > >

              > > 29/09/2012 14:20
              > >
              > > I lent my receiver to a friend who is now thinking of building one for
              > > himself. I don't know much about CB in Europe and the UK, where I am
              > > based, but my pal commented he couldn't receive ant CB transmissions.
              > > Is this because they are mainly on narrow FM and it can't receive that
              > > mode, or what? Thanks.
              > >
              > > --
              > > Best Regards,
              > > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
              > > mailto: chris@

            • MIKE DURKIN
              Message 6 of 12 , Sep 30, 2012
                Wha???

                3pm pacific time try CH5 ... aka superbuwl....
                This last week has been active from 17m to 10m (cept almost never hear anyone on 12m)

                To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
                From: kb8xi@...
                Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2012 15:38:31 +0000

                In the U.S., the 26/27 MHz CB band is either AM, or SSB modulation.

                And the band has been mostly very quiet yet on this Solar Cycle.

                Roland, KB8XI

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "m0fmt" <m0fmt@...> wrote:

                > Hi all
                >
                > CB FM is petty much the same as Ham radio FM in terms of deviation so most SDR software will demodulate it OK with good audio recovery.
                >
                > The prerequisits for receiving CB is first that you Soft Rock actually covers an active CB band.(Around 26 to 28mHz).
                > Next is an antenna, say a Dipole or Ground Plane cut to resonance. The GP is probably best since most CB is vertically polarised.
                > And that there is activity in your area or you will have to wait for propagation conditions to improve although we are seeing a lot of single skip and "E" activity nearly every day now. When its good its really really good but most of the time its non existant.
                > Good luck Pete M0FMT
                >
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Chris Wilson <chris@> wrote:
                > >

                > > 29/09/2012 14:20
                > >
                > > I lent my receiver to a friend who is now thinking of building one for
                > > himself. I don't know much about CB in Europe and the UK, where I am
                > > based, but my pal commented he couldn't receive ant CB transmissions.
                > > Is this because they are mainly on narrow FM and it can't receive that
                > > mode, or what? Thanks.
                > >
                > > --
                > > Best Regards,
                > > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                > > mailto: chris@

              • Norman - M0JEC
                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
                  I did find some SSB as well as FM signals in the CB portions of the band, (I
                  might be wrong but isn't FM the only "legal" mode in that part of the
                  spectrum?) , I didn;t get chance to try HDSDR as that is currently
                  configured for my RTL VHF/UHF stick and I'm not 100% sure what i need to do
                  to get it to talk to the Softrock, I've not had it instaled very long so
                  still learning how to drive it.

                  I did make a few short recordings of some of the CB activity if you/your
                  friend would like to hear them, they are "nothing special" to be honest.

                  Norman
                  M0JEC
                  >> I've just tried some CB Frequencies on my ensemble II RX and can resolve
                  >> FM
                  >> transmissions I set the audio to 3Khz bandwidth and they seem to sound ok
                  >> me.
                  >
                  >> I'm using a 102ft doublet (ex G5RV) antenna.
                  >
                  >> I'm usuing SDR-Radio not HDSDR (as I'm remoting in from work) but could
                  >> try
                  >> later in HDSDR when I get home.
                  >
                  >> Norman
                  >> M0JEC
                  >

                  > 29/09/2012 16:31
                  >

                  > Thanks Norman, I wonder if as nwmonitor says, it was just a lack of
                  > activity? Is all UK CB stuff on FM or do they use SSB as well? It's
                  > years since I had anything to do with CB, I suspect much has changed.
                  > If you have time and inclination to see if you pick up CB with HDSDR
                  > I'd be interested to know what you hear. Thanks for the reply.
                  >

                  > --
                  > Best Regards,
                  > Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY

                • Chris Wilson
                  Message 8 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
                    > I did find some SSB as well as FM signals in the CB portions of the band, (I
                    > might be wrong but isn't FM the only "legal" mode in that part of the
                    > spectrum?) , I didn;t get chance to try HDSDR as that is currently
                    > configured for my RTL VHF/UHF stick and I'm not 100% sure what i need to do
                    > to get it to talk to the Softrock, I've not had it instaled very long so
                    > still learning how to drive it.

                    > I did make a few short recordings of some of the CB activity if you/your
                    > friend would like to hear them, they are "nothing special" to be honest.

                    > Norman
                    > M0JEC

                    01/10/2012 11:42

                    I have my Softrock back here now and I think my pal was just driving it
                    wrong, or badly. I receive plenty of SSB CB transmissions and plenty
                    of Russian sounding FM ones, maybe taxi firms? No doubt there are FM
                    CB ones, too, but being in the sticks it's mainly farmers who are on
                    more in the summer when harvesting and talking across fields to other
                    operators.

                    My remaining questions are these two. Is receiving "narrow band FM* just a
                    matter of reducing the audio bandwidth in the software when receiving
                    in normal FM mode? Will an Ensemble RXTX transmit in FM mode?

                    Thanks everyone.

                    --
                    Best Regards,
                    Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 1, 2012
                      On 1 Oct 2012, at 12:31CEST, Norman - M0JEC wrote:

                      > I did find some SSB as well as FM signals in the CB portions of the band, (I
                      > might be wrong but isn't FM the only "legal" mode in that part of the
                      > spectrum?) ,

                      It depends on the country you are in. See en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citizens%27_band_radio for a discussion of this point. In some countries (I believe this includes the UK) some channels are allocated to data communications.

                      John
                      F5VLF