Re: [softrock40] Re: rxtx doesn't transmit

  • Marc Katz
    Message 1 of 31 , Sep 18, 2012
      Malcolm

      I did use the FT897Ds receiver. Last night I did here a low signal on FM but nothing on USB or CW. The LO comes in nicely and louder than the transmitted signal, though there is an obvious need for calibration (phase two). I see the graphical S-meter deflect when I use the microphone so I am reasonably certain that I have everything connected properly.

      I did notice a few things: when I was playing around with the paddles in CFG TEST, while the CW1/2 indicators did go on and off, on one side I saw a message "Si570 not connected" flash for a second. I also noticed that when I RESET the Si570(in CFG on the Si570 tab) there was a message that it is not programmed (the Si570 is a replacement since I cooked the original).

      The TX out is going into (head hung low) and admittedly poor antenna constructed for this build; a 10M dipole with a 3:1 SWR. This is the only reason I chose to build for 10/12/15. I live in an apartment. The finals are not getting really hot as the builder's notes say they will after prolonged transmit. I think they are getting warm but I can't tell with my old finger nerves.

      I'm beginning to think that I should rewind T3 and T4. I HATE those things. It's like the Bible when Jesus says it is "easier for a camel to pass throught the eye of a needle ....." It takes me so long to thread the wire through those binocs that I lose count and easing those 6 leads through the PCB is no picnic either.

      I did notice a missing capacitor (C45) but that is in the receiver section (it is missing from the final pictorial in the builder's notes as well).

      Thanks for all your help.

      Marc, WB2MSC

      Message 31 of 31 , Oct 6, 2012
        Does your sound card have any kind of "headphone expander" or other matrixing technology (like SRS)?  These often cause crosstalk unless you can figure out how to turn it firmly *off*.

        -J.

        On 6 Oct 2012, at 06:38, "Brent G DeWitt" <bdewitt@...> wrote:

        I agree.   I’m just not sure how to kill it.  Suggestions welcome!

        Brent DeWitt, AB1LF

        Milford, MA

        From: bdewitt@...
        Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2012 22:37:22 -0400

        I find the setup instructions documented in the files area to be very complete and well stated.  I’m still having trouble wrapping my head around the operational issue of tuning within HDSDR and Fldigi.

        If I transmit a pure carrier with HDSDR, and listen via headphones to the sound card output, I get an expected zero to something higher audio tone being the difference between “LO” and “Tune”.  When I connect Fldigi to the headphones, I get an expected modulated audio with an offset appropriate to the “tuned” reading on the Fldigi waterfall.  When I transmit Fldigi through VAC to HDSDR and listen to the sound card output, I hear the dominant offset from HDSDR with some Fldigi modulation superimposed on it.

        Is this the expected output, or do I still have something wrong?

        Thanks all!

        Brent, AB1LF