Softrock v6 Exciter PTT-IN and PTT-OUT Question

  • qrper723
    Message 1 of 7 , Oct 27, 2006
      Hi fellows,

      Sorry for basic question about the connection between the PC and
      the exciter (stack-type) as follows.

      1)In the interface connection of PC's COM port to the exciter,
      which line do I have to connect?
      I think COM port output may be connected to the PTT-IN of exciter.
      It is written "PTT KEY" in its schematic.

      But I don't understand how to use the PTT-OUT.
      Also written "PTT TO PC" in schematic.
      Now I do not connect PTT-OUT anywhere. (Always OPEN)

      2)When in transmit mode on PowerSDR Software it ocuures -.-.-.[C]
      characters automatically and can not make a code by CWX program.

      3)PA's power out is lower than expected, it's only 200mW.
      Line out from the SoundBlaster Audigy NX is max-level.

      I'm waiting for suggestion.
      Thanks. hidehiko ja9mat
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 7 , Oct 27, 2006
        Hi Hidehiko,

        We will need to get Bill, KD5TFD, to give us information on the com port connections for controlling the exciter and the use of the PowerSDR software.

        The diode used in the PA base circuit needs to be changed to a 1N4148 so that the standing current in the PA can be adjusted to about 30 mA.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

        Message 3 of 7 , Oct 27, 2006
          From Terry, WB4JFI (not in order):

          2) you have the iambic keyer enabled. Go to setup/DSP/keyer, and
          uncheck Iambic under options. Or, you can hook up an iambic paddle
          to the COM port you are using for PTT. Paddle common is pin 4 (DB9),
          one (dit/dak) is pin 6, the other is pin 8.

          1) PTT from COM port pin 5 is common, pin 7 goes to TXRX PTT IN. PTT
          out is for later expansion I believe. PTT should be negative volts
          for receive, positive for transmit. There is an older email here on
          the group from Bill Tracey which describes PTT and keyer better. I
          cannot find it, so I described my wiring.

          3) My power out is lower as well, plus I am seeing a lot of LO
          leakage in transmit. Tony just sent a message suggesting 39-ohm
          resistors in series with T1 windings and pins 7 & 9 of U3. I
          literally just found the resistors when your email came.

          Good luck.
          Terry

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "qrper723" <qrper72@...> wrote:

          > Hi fellows,
          >
          > Sorry for basic question about the connection between the PC and
          > the exciter (stack-type) as follows.
          >
          > 1)In the interface connection of PC's COM port to the exciter,
          > which line do I have to connect?
          > I think COM port output may be connected to the PTT-IN of exciter.
          > It is written "PTT KEY" in its schematic.
          >
          > But I don't understand how to use the PTT-OUT.
          > Also written "PTT TO PC" in schematic.
          > Now I do not connect PTT-OUT anywhere. (Always OPEN)
          >
          > 2)When in transmit mode on PowerSDR Software it ocuures -.-.-.[C]
          > characters automatically and can not make a code by CWX program.
          >
          > 3)PA's power out is lower than expected, it's only 200mW.
          > Line out from the SoundBlaster Audigy NX is max-level.
          >
          > I'm waiting for suggestion.
          > Thanks. hidehiko ja9mat

        • Bill Tracey
          Message 4 of 7 , Oct 27, 2006
            Current com port pin definition info for the modified PowerSDR code:

            Support for attaching a keyer and the Soft Rock T/R line to the same serial
            port. To do this:
            Select a comm port as the primary key port in Setup->DSP->Keyer
            Attach Key as: Common - DTR (pin 4 on a 9 pin D shell serial
            port) -- note -- this is NOT ground, it will be sitting at +9-12 or so
            when PowerSDR is running
            Dot - DSR (pin 6) I
            Dash -CTS (pin 8)
            SR T/R Line - RTS (pin 7) - this will go hi when
            in xmit, low for receive

            Dot and Dash also function as PTT when the mode
            is not CW

            Regards,

            Bill (kd5tfd)

            At 09:05 PM 10/27/2006, qrper723 wrote:
            >Hi fellows,
            >
            >Sorry for basic question about the connection between the PC and
            >the exciter (stack-type) as follows.
            >
            >1)In the interface connection of PC's COM port to the exciter,
            > which line do I have to connect?
            > I think COM port output may be connected to the PTT-IN of exciter.
            > It is written "PTT KEY" in its schematic.
            >
            > But I don't understand how to use the PTT-OUT.
            > Also written "PTT TO PC" in schematic.
            > Now I do not connect PTT-OUT anywhere. (Always OPEN)
            >
            >2)When in transmit mode on PowerSDR Software it ocuures -.-.-.[C]
            > characters automatically and can not make a code by CWX program.
            >
            >3)PA's power out is lower than expected, it's only 200mW.
            > Line out from the SoundBlaster Audigy NX is max-level.
            >
            >I'm waiting for suggestion.
            >Thanks. hidehiko ja9mat

          • qrper723
            Message 5 of 7 , Oct 27, 2006
              Thanks Daer Terry,Tony and Bill,

              I will try to connect as you said and also replace PA's diode to 1N4148.

              Now I test the serial port of my laptop-PC with standalone PowerSDR
              (No connection to the exciter yet) Some question I have.

              1)In CW mode and push the MOX button it generate CW carrier continuously
              while no keying. I start up the CWX and keying is ok, but after its
              keying carrier occures continuously again.

              2)I measured the COM port as follows;
              It's the same value whenever RX/TX.
              Not change Low to High.
              Always -5.61V.

              PIN# RX TX
              5 -5.61V -5.61V
              7 -5.61V -5.61V

              MY PowerSDR setting;
              General -> disable PTT <Not check this button>
              CAT Control -> PTT Control -> Enable PTT <Not check this button>

              I only see the high value of PIN-7 when I check the Enable PTT
              button.

              Is there any other setting needed?

              hidehiko ja9mat
            • Bill Tracey
              Message 6 of 7 , Oct 27, 2006
                Hidehiko - not sure I'm following.

                When you say standalone PowerSDR - is do you mean the version from
                Flex-Radio or the Soft Rock xmit modified version I've distributed?

                Keyer occurring continuously -- this may be the software looking at the
                Parallel port. The setup recommendations below should clear that up.

                The confusion on the keying may be because I've changed it between the very
                first release and the most recent. My recommendation for setup now is:

                Setup -> DSP -> Keyer
                Select New Keyer Check Box
                For Connections Select comm port you want to use as Primary and
                select None for Secondary
                Under options select Iambic

                Under CAT control, do not enable Enable PTT

                A paddle is then attached to the Comm Port:

                Common - DTR (pin 4 on a 9 pin serial port) -- NOTE - this is not ground
                Dot - DSR (pin 6)
                Dash - CTS (pin 8)
                T/R Line to SoftRock - RTS (pin 7) - this will be > 0 (9 v on my machine)
                for xmit and < 0 (-9 v on my machine) for receive

                Dot and Dash can also be used for PTT when not in CW mode.

                Hope this helps.

                Cheers,

                Bill (kd5tfd)

                At 11:53 PM 10/27/2006, qrper723 wrote:
                >Thanks Daer Terry,Tony and Bill,
                >
                >I will try to connect as you said and also replace PA's diode to 1N4148.
                >
                >Now I test the serial port of my laptop-PC with standalone PowerSDR
                >(No connection to the exciter yet) Some question I have.
                >
                > 1)In CW mode and push the MOX button it generate CW carrier continuously
                > while no keying. I start up the CWX and keying is ok, but after its
                > keying carrier occures continuously again.
                >
                > 2)I measured the COM port as follows;
                > It's the same value whenever RX/TX.
                > Not change Low to High.
                > Always -5.61V.
                >
                > PIN# RX TX
                > 5 -5.61V -5.61V
                > 7 -5.61V -5.61V
                >
                > MY PowerSDR setting;
                > General -> disable PTT <Not check this button>
                > CAT Control -> PTT Control -> Enable PTT <Not check this button>
                >
                > I only see the high value of PIN-7 when I check the Enable PTT
                > button.
                >
                > Is there any other setting needed?
                >
                > hidehiko ja9mat
                >

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • qrper723
                Message 7 of 7 , Oct 28, 2006
                  Thanks dear Bill.

                  Now all is ok in your distributed PowerSDR of 12,October version.
                  It's the latest version I thnik.
                  Well I found that I missed the following setting you mentioned.
                  I selected Primaly to "SDR"....sorry.

                  > Setup -> DSP -> Keyer
                  > Select New Keyer Check Box
                  > For Connections Select comm port you want to use as Primary

                  Also T/R line - RTS<PIN#7> is -5.61V(RX) to 6.50V(TX) when the MOX button
                  is "ON" on my laptop-PC.I think it is no problem.

                  > T/R Line to SoftRock - RTS (pin 7) - this will be > 0 (9 v on my
                  > machine)
                  > for xmit and < 0 (-9 v on my machine) for receive

                  And the keyer is also ok. DOT and DASH operation is smoothly.
                  But in the SSB(USB/LSB) mode and the other whole modes I can not
                  return to RX mode and MOX button keeps "ON" continuously.
                  I will operate only in CW so it is not a problem. hi.

                  Thanks again,73.
                  ja9mat hidehiko.