Using RXII HF as front end with Yaesu FRG-7700?

  • john_zl1azs
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 4, 2012
      Hi all,

      The FRG-7700 is a golden oldie and I wondered if it would be possible to add the RXII HF as a front end to it without major surgery.

      I have no idea what's involved or if such a mod would be worthwhile. From what I've read, this type of mod usually involves receivers of a much more recent vintage and that these are more "accessible".

      Your thoughts much appreciated.

      73 - John Sweden - ZL1AZS
      Message 2 of 3 , Sep 4, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Using RXII HF as front end with Yaesu FRG-7700?

        > The FRG-7700 is a golden oldie and I wondered if it would be possible to add the RXII HF as a front end to it without major
        > surgery.

        John,

        How do you mean "front end"?
        The usual way is to use a Lite in the IF. This could be done, I think 455KHz?

        But otherwise the RXII is stand-alone, better than the 7700. Just not quite all the range.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • john_zl1azs
        Message 3 of 3 , Sep 5, 2012
          Thanks Alan. I experienced a case of confused thinking - that I might somehow be able to use a real receiver knob to control the RXII.

          I'll have to learn to program my Contour Shuttle Pro to control the SDR-Radio software interface - then I'll have a real knob :)

          73 - John - ZL1AZS