Re: [softrock40] Ensemble II HF Problem

    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
      Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble II HF Problem

      >I have just completed the Ensemble RXII kit but upon testing the op-amps I ran into a problem. From the beginning I was using the
      >left hand hole at the "QSD/EN" jumper as a ground reference not realizing there had to be a jumper to the hole on the right.
      >Everything checked OK until I tried to load the op-amps and look for the voltage change and there was none. I discovered the
      >jumper issue and proceeded to put a jumper between the holes but then I lost the 2.5v at the hairpin of R28 and lost the 2.5v on
      >U11. Upon snipping the jumper the 2.5 volts returned.

      Chuck,

      Do you lose the 5 volts as well?
      But this should have been picked up on the test of U10. Test that again with the jumper in.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • k1tli
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
        Alan,

        I put the jumper back in and here are the results on testing U10:

        Pins 2 & 14 measured 2.5 volts
        Pin 16 measured 5.0 volts so the 5 volt rail is intact
        Pins 10,11,12,13 all measured in under 100mv
        Pins 3,4,5,6 all measured in under 100mv
        Pins 7 & 9 also read in the less than 100 mv range

        Thanks for helping
        Chuck

        > Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble II HF Problem
        >

        > >I have just completed the Ensemble RXII kit but upon testing the op-amps I ran into a problem. From the beginning I was using the
        > >left hand hole at the "QSD/EN" jumper as a ground reference not realizing there had to be a jumper to the hole on the right.
        > >Everything checked OK until I tried to load the op-amps and look for the voltage change and there was none. I discovered the
        > >jumper issue and proceeded to put a jumper between the holes but then I lost the 2.5v at the hairpin of R28 and lost the 2.5v on
        > >U11. Upon snipping the jumper the 2.5 volts returned.
        >
        > Chuck,
        >
        > Do you lose the 5 volts as well?
        > But this should have been picked up on the test of U10. Test that again with the jumper in.
        >
        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

      • mkatz_08852
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
          Hey guys
          On the subject of jumpers, I admit to a bit of confusion topped off by some paranoia.
          I have a Vista machine and will be using WinRadHD. Do I cross the jumpers or go straight accross in the op amp phase? I am building the Ensemble RXTX.

          Thanks guys, Marc WB2MSC

          Sent from Samsung tablet

          k1tli <k1tli@...> wrote:

          Alan,

          I put the jumper back in and here are the results on testing U10:

          Pins 2 & 14 measured 2.5 volts
          Pin 16 measured 5.0 volts so the 5 volt rail is intact
          Pins 10,11,12,13 all measured in under 100mv
          Pins 3,4,5,6 all measured in under 100mv
          Pins 7 & 9 also read in the less than 100 mv range

          Thanks for helping
          Chuck

          > Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble II HF Problem
          >

          > >I have just completed the Ensemble RXII kit but upon testing the op-amps I ran into a problem. From the beginning I was using the
          > >left hand hole at the "QSD/EN" jumper as a ground reference not realizing there had to be a jumper to the hole on the right.
          > >Everything checked OK until I tried to load the op-amps and look for the voltage change and there was none. I discovered the
          > >jumper issue and proceeded to put a jumper between the holes but then I lost the 2.5v at the hairpin of R28 and lost the 2.5v on
          > >U11. Upon snipping the jumper the 2.5 volts returned.
          >
          > Chuck,
          >
          > Do you lose the 5 volts as well?
          > But this should have been picked up on the test of U10. Test that again with the jumper in.
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • R. R. (Robby) Robson
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
          • 1 Attachment
          • 70 KB
          There is a grounded via that is very close to pin 3 of U10.  It is actually beneath the IC, but excess solder on pin 3 might have made a "whisker" contact with that via, pulling pin 3 to ground.

          I would go over all the pins of U10 with solder wick and carefully inspect the soldering.

          On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM, k1tli <k1tli@...> wrote:

          Alan,

          I put the jumper back in and here are the results on testing U10:

          Pins 2 & 14 measured 2.5 volts
          Pin 16 measured 5.0 volts so the 5 volt rail is intact
          Pins 10,11,12,13 all measured in under 100mv
          Pins 3,4,5,6 all measured in under 100mv
          Pins 7 & 9 also read in the less than 100 mv range

          Thanks for helping
          Chuck

          > Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble II HF Problem
          >

          > >I have just completed the Ensemble RXII kit but upon testing the op-amps I ran into a problem. From the beginning I was using the
          > >left hand hole at the "QSD/EN" jumper as a ground reference not realizing there had to be a jumper to the hole on the right.
          > >Everything checked OK until I tried to load the op-amps and look for the voltage change and there was none. I discovered the
          > >jumper issue and proceeded to put a jumper between the holes but then I lost the 2.5v at the hairpin of R28 and lost the 2.5v on
          > >U11. Upon snipping the jumper the 2.5 volts returned.
          >
          > Chuck,
          >
          > Do you lose the 5 volts as well?
          > But this should have been picked up on the test of U10. Test that again with the jumper in.

          Cheers,
          Robby

          Richard R. (Robby) Robson
          LTC USA (RET)

        • k1tli
          Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
            I have been over the soldering and all looks fine. No shorts to ground that should not be there and no shorts to other pins. Pins 3& 6 measure 1.345k to gnd as do pins 11 & 12. Pins 3 to 6 read 20.2 ohms. Could U10 be bad?