Ensemble II HF Problem

  • k1tli
    Message 1 of 6 , Sep 1, 2012
      I have just completed the Ensemble RXII kit but upon testing the op-amps I ran into a problem. From the beginning I was using the left hand hole at the "QSD/EN" jumper as a ground reference not realizing there had to be a jumper to the hole on the right. Everything checked OK until I tried to load the op-amps and look for the voltage change and there was none. I discovered the jumper issue and proceeded to put a jumper between the holes but then I lost the 2.5v at the hairpin of R28 and lost the 2.5v on U11. Upon snipping the jumper the 2.5 volts returned. What is going on? I have double checked everything.

      Thanks
      Chuck
      Message 2 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
        Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble II HF Problem

        >I have just completed the Ensemble RXII kit but upon testing the op-amps I ran into a problem. From the beginning I was using the
        >left hand hole at the "QSD/EN" jumper as a ground reference not realizing there had to be a jumper to the hole on the right.
        >Everything checked OK until I tried to load the op-amps and look for the voltage change and there was none. I discovered the
        >jumper issue and proceeded to put a jumper between the holes but then I lost the 2.5v at the hairpin of R28 and lost the 2.5v on
        >U11. Upon snipping the jumper the 2.5 volts returned.

        Chuck,

        Do you lose the 5 volts as well?
        But this should have been picked up on the test of U10. Test that again with the jumper in.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ
      • k1tli
        Message 3 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
          Alan,

          I put the jumper back in and here are the results on testing U10:

          Pins 2 & 14 measured 2.5 volts
          Pin 16 measured 5.0 volts so the 5 volt rail is intact
          Pins 10,11,12,13 all measured in under 100mv
          Pins 3,4,5,6 all measured in under 100mv
          Pins 7 & 9 also read in the less than 100 mv range

          Thanks for helping
          Chuck

          > Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble II HF Problem
          >

          > >I have just completed the Ensemble RXII kit but upon testing the op-amps I ran into a problem. From the beginning I was using the
          > >left hand hole at the "QSD/EN" jumper as a ground reference not realizing there had to be a jumper to the hole on the right.
          > >Everything checked OK until I tried to load the op-amps and look for the voltage change and there was none. I discovered the
          > >jumper issue and proceeded to put a jumper between the holes but then I lost the 2.5v at the hairpin of R28 and lost the 2.5v on
          > >U11. Upon snipping the jumper the 2.5 volts returned.
          >
          > Chuck,
          >
          > Do you lose the 5 volts as well?
          > But this should have been picked up on the test of U10. Test that again with the jumper in.
          >
          > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

        • mkatz_08852
          Message 4 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
            Hey guys
            On the subject of jumpers, I admit to a bit of confusion topped off by some paranoia.
            I have a Vista machine and will be using WinRadHD. Do I cross the jumpers or go straight accross in the op amp phase? I am building the Ensemble RXTX.

            Thanks guys, Marc WB2MSC

            Sent from Samsung tablet

            k1tli <k1tli@...> wrote:

            Alan,

            I put the jumper back in and here are the results on testing U10:

            Pins 2 & 14 measured 2.5 volts
            Pin 16 measured 5.0 volts so the 5 volt rail is intact
            Pins 10,11,12,13 all measured in under 100mv
            Pins 3,4,5,6 all measured in under 100mv
            Pins 7 & 9 also read in the less than 100 mv range

            Thanks for helping
            Chuck

            > Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble II HF Problem
            >

            > >I have just completed the Ensemble RXII kit but upon testing the op-amps I ran into a problem. From the beginning I was using the
            > >left hand hole at the "QSD/EN" jumper as a ground reference not realizing there had to be a jumper to the hole on the right.
            > >Everything checked OK until I tried to load the op-amps and look for the voltage change and there was none. I discovered the
            > >jumper issue and proceeded to put a jumper between the holes but then I lost the 2.5v at the hairpin of R28 and lost the 2.5v on
            > >U11. Upon snipping the jumper the 2.5 volts returned.
            >
            > Chuck,
            >
            > Do you lose the 5 volts as well?
            > But this should have been picked up on the test of U10. Test that again with the jumper in.
            >
            > 73 Alan G4ZFQ

          • R. R. (Robby) Robson
            Message 5 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
            • 1 Attachment
            • 70 KB
            There is a grounded via that is very close to pin 3 of U10.  It is actually beneath the IC, but excess solder on pin 3 might have made a "whisker" contact with that via, pulling pin 3 to ground.

            I would go over all the pins of U10 with solder wick and carefully inspect the soldering.

            On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 9:07 AM, k1tli <k1tli@...> wrote:

            Alan,

            I put the jumper back in and here are the results on testing U10:

            Pins 2 & 14 measured 2.5 volts
            Pin 16 measured 5.0 volts so the 5 volt rail is intact
            Pins 10,11,12,13 all measured in under 100mv
            Pins 3,4,5,6 all measured in under 100mv
            Pins 7 & 9 also read in the less than 100 mv range

            Thanks for helping
            Chuck

            > Subject: [softrock40] Ensemble II HF Problem
            >

            > >I have just completed the Ensemble RXII kit but upon testing the op-amps I ran into a problem. From the beginning I was using the
            > >left hand hole at the "QSD/EN" jumper as a ground reference not realizing there had to be a jumper to the hole on the right.
            > >Everything checked OK until I tried to load the op-amps and look for the voltage change and there was none. I discovered the
            > >jumper issue and proceeded to put a jumper between the holes but then I lost the 2.5v at the hairpin of R28 and lost the 2.5v on
            > >U11. Upon snipping the jumper the 2.5 volts returned.
            >
            > Chuck,
            >
            > Do you lose the 5 volts as well?
            > But this should have been picked up on the test of U10. Test that again with the jumper in.

            Cheers,
            Robby

            Richard R. (Robby) Robson
            LTC USA (RET)

          • k1tli
            Message 6 of 6 , Sep 2, 2012
              I have been over the soldering and all looks fine. No shorts to ground that should not be there and no shorts to other pins. Pins 3& 6 measure 1.345k to gnd as do pins 11 & 12. Pins 3 to 6 read 20.2 ohms. Could U10 be bad?