500 kHz RXTX Ensemble operation

  • Tony Parks
    Message 1 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
      Good Morning All,

      I replied negatively to a recent inquiry concerning 500 kHz operation of the RXTX Ensemble transceiver since commanding the Si570 to 2 kHz does not work. However, it got me thinking about what could be done to get the RXTX down to 500 kHz.

      A small low-cost circuit board with a 74AC74 clock divide by four function could be done that would mount above the R13/R14 corner of the RXTX circuit board. Other changes to the RXTX for 500 kHz operation would include filter components.

      Please let me know if there is interest in a 500 kHz RXTX Ensemble transceiver kit.

      Thanks and 73,
      Tony KB9YIG
    • Ross Ballantyne

        Message 3 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
          i'm interested.
          ron, kc0tdj
        • m0fmt
          Message 4 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
            Me Too!!!

            And what about 136 on the same card?

            Best regards Pete M0fmt.

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, ron <hamshack@...> wrote:

            > i'm interested.
            > ron, kc0tdj

          • yl2gqn
            Message 5 of 13 , Sep 1, 2012
              Hi ,

              Very interesting especially in combination with 137 kHz band.
              Will be great to have 137/500 RXTX

              Regards,
              Andy. YL2QN

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

              > Good Morning All,
              >
              > I replied negatively to a recent inquiry concerning 500 kHz operation of the RXTX Ensemble transceiver since commanding the Si570 to 2 kHz does not work. However, it got me thinking about what could be done to get the RXTX down to 500 kHz.
              >
              > A small low-cost circuit board with a 74AC74 clock divide by four function could be done that would mount above the R13/R14 corner of the RXTX circuit board. Other changes to the RXTX for 500 kHz operation would include filter components.
              >
              > Please let me know if there is interest in a 500 kHz RXTX Ensemble transceiver kit.
              >
              > Thanks and 73,
              > Tony KB9YIG

            • Philip
              Message 6 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
                Yes, count me in...

                Philip G4JVF

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "m0fmt" <m0fmt@...> wrote:

                > Me Too!!!
                >
                > And what about 136 on the same card?
                >
                > Best regards Pete M0fmt.
                >
                > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, ron <hamshack@> wrote:
                > >
                > > i'm interested.
                > > ron, kc0tdj

              • Parks, Tony
                Message 7 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
                  Good Morning All,

                  There has been enough interest expressed for me to move ahead with the add on circuit board for LF operation of the RXTX Ensemble transceiver.  The board and additional components would be suitable for building the RXTX for operation on one or the other of the 137 kHz or 500 kHz frequencies.

                  I am going to work on the add on board this weekend with the idea of having a 137 kHz and a 500 kHz RXTX Ensemble test units built up around mid-September.

                  I will be looking for two testers for the two LF transceiver units.  Testers will need to have access to suitable test equipment to make certain the TX output purity meets regulation requirements. If you are interested in being one of the testers and can provide the performance measurements, the test units will be provided at no cost.

                  Thanks for your interest in the project!

                  73,
                  Tony KB9YIG

                  On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 5:13 AM, Philip <pcteee@...> wrote:

                  Yes, count me in...

                  Philip G4JVF

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "m0fmt" <m0fmt@...> wrote:

                  > Me Too!!!
                  >
                  > And what about 136 on the same card?
                  >
                  > Best regards Pete M0fmt.
                  >
                  > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, ron <hamshack@> wrote:
                  > >
                  > > i'm interested.
                  > > ron, kc0tdj

                • Kenneth Hardy
                  Message 8 of 13 , Sep 2, 2012
                     Tony
                    I would jump at the chance to build a 500khz board - this band becomes available in the UK soon and as
                    an ex marine op I would love to work the band again.
                    Proud possessor of RX/TX 6.2 and 6.3 and Ensemble

                    Ken Hardy M0XBK

                    Message 9 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012
                      Good Morning All,

                      The clk/16 circuit board layout for the low-cost add-on circuit board to provided for LF operation of the RXTX Ensemble transceiver was completed this past weekend.

                      The board is small, 1.0 inches x0.625 inches, and mounts two 74AC74 devices to provide for a clock division of 16 on the clock signal coming from the Si570 via T1.  Other components included on the board are three capacitors and four resistors.  Two of the resistors need to be mounted on the add-on board with their leads extending below the board to mate up with the R12/R14 hole pattern on the RXTX board for power and signal connections between  the two boards.

                      With an overall division of 64 on the Si570 output frequency to the QSD/QSE quadrature clocks the Si570 will be at about 8.7 MHz for 136 kHz operation and about 32 MHz for 500 kHz operation.

                      Prototype clk/16 circuit boards will go on order Tuesday and boards should be back by early this coming week.  What remains now is to get the details worked out for the LPF/BPF changes on the RXTX board for the two LF frequency options.

                      I am still planing on building up two test samples of the RXTX Ensemble transceiver, one for the 136 kHz case and one for the 500 kHz case.  These two test samples will be sent at no charge to people who are interested in evaluating RXTX LF operation.

                      Message 10 of 13 , Sep 3, 2012

                        Quick question, Tony. Where do you order your boards from?

                        73,

                        Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                        Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                        kq8m@...

                        AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                        Message 11 of 13 , Sep 7, 2012
                          Hello Tony,

                          If you don't find local tester, I have access to Agilent E4403 and Rohde & Schwarz FSL18 equipment and I can make necessary measurements.

                          Regards,
                          Andy YL2QN.

                          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Parks, Tony" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                          > Good Morning All,
                          >
                          > There has been enough interest expressed for me to move ahead with the add
                          > on circuit board for LF operation of the RXTX Ensemble transceiver. The
                          > board and additional components would be suitable for building the RXTX for
                          > operation on one or the other of the 137 kHz or 500 kHz frequencies.
                          >
                          > I am going to work on the add on board this weekend with the idea of having
                          > a 137 kHz and a 500 kHz RXTX Ensemble test units built up around
                          > mid-September.
                          >
                          > I will be looking for two testers for the two LF transceiver units.
                          > Testers will need to have access to suitable test equipment to make certain
                          > the TX output purity meets regulation requirements. If you are interested
                          > in being one of the testers and can provide the performance measurements,
                          > the test units will be provided at no cost.
                          >
                          > Thanks for your interest in the project!
                          >
                          > 73,
                          > Tony KB9YIG
                          >
                          > On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 5:13 AM, Philip <pcteee@...> wrote:
                          >
                          > > **
                          > >

                          > > Yes, count me in...
                          > >
                          > > Philip G4JVF
                          > >

                          > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "m0fmt" <m0fmt@> wrote:
                          > > >
                          > > > Me Too!!!
                          > > >
                          > > > And what about 136 on the same card?
                          > > >
                          > > > Best regards Pete M0fmt.

                        • Parks, Tony
                          Message 12 of 13 , Sep 7, 2012
                            Thanks for the offer to help with the testing Andy.

                            Which frequency range would be of interest to you?

                            Thanks and 73,

                            On Fri, Sep 7, 2012 at 12:04 PM, yl2gqn <driverzip@...> wrote:

                            Hello Tony,

                            If you don't find local tester, I have access to Agilent E4403 and Rohde & Schwarz FSL18 equipment and I can make necessary measurements.

                            Regards,
                            Andy YL2QN.

                            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Parks, Tony" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                            > Good Morning All,
                            >
                            > There has been enough interest expressed for me to move ahead with the add
                            > on circuit board for LF operation of the RXTX Ensemble transceiver. The
                            > board and additional components would be suitable for building the RXTX for
                            > operation on one or the other of the 137 kHz or 500 kHz frequencies.
                            >
                            > I am going to work on the add on board this weekend with the idea of having
                            > a 137 kHz and a 500 kHz RXTX Ensemble test units built up around
                            > mid-September.
                            >
                            > I will be looking for two testers for the two LF transceiver units.
                            > Testers will need to have access to suitable test equipment to make certain
                            > the TX output purity meets regulation requirements. If you are interested
                            > in being one of the testers and can provide the performance measurements,
                            > the test units will be provided at no cost.
                            >
                            > Thanks for your interest in the project!
                            >
                            > 73,
                            > Tony KB9YIG
                            >
                            > On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 5:13 AM, Philip <pcteee@...> wrote:
                            >
                            > > **

                            > > Yes, count me in...
                            > >
                            > > Philip G4JVF
                            > >

                            > > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "m0fmt" <m0fmt@> wrote:
                            > > >
                            > > > Me Too!!!
                            > > >
                            > > > And what about 136 on the same card?
                            > > >
                            > > > Best regards Pete M0fmt.

                          • yl2gqn
                            Message 13 of 13 , Sep 16, 2012
                              Hello,

                              My personal interest is 136 KHz, but if you provide details (schematic) how to rebuild to 500 KHz band I can rebuild band specific parts after 136 KHz test's

                              Regards,
                              Andt, YL2QN.