Re: sound card? WINDOWS XP PRO

  • C WEAVING
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 1, 2012
      I am in a similar position with an older Rx/Tx V6.1

      I have the Rx working quite well with the backplane soundcard.

      I added a Creative Audigy card to the PCI slots so that I had 2 soundcards for Rx and Tx. The Creative Audigy card also works nicely for receive.

      However Windows XP Pro appears to have disabled the backplane soundcard and the only soundcard picked up in the dropdown box is the Audigy, so I still cannot get set up for Transmit and Recieve..

      Any help on how to enable 2 soundcards with Windows XP Pro.

      Apologies if this has been covered before.
    • Stu C
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 1, 2012
        I'm pretty sure this has been covered before a few times by those who know but here are some basic level IT ideas (I have never used the TXRX).
        Try the Audigy in the other PCI slot, in BIOS ensure the on-board sound is enabled not "auto" if there is an option. Disable ports you don't intend to use I.E. parallel and unwanted serial or game ports just to reduce the chance of conflicts and to easy the CPU's distractions in use.
        Obviously updating the BIOS and drivers is a good first step.

        I have a two external USB cards and one on-board working on this £59 ITX MOBO (XP Pro) so it quite possible its just IRQ or slot conflicts not something about XP Pro.

        Regards
        Stu

        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 1, 2012
          Subject: [softrock40] Re: sound card? WINDOWS XP PRO

          >I have the Rx working quite well with the backplane soundcard.
          >I added a Creative Audigy card to the PCI slots so that I had 2 soundcards for Rx and Tx. The Creative Audigy card also works
          >nicely for receive.
          >However Windows XP Pro appears to have disabled the backplane soundcard and the only soundcard picked up in the dropdown box is the
          >Audigy,

          It will not be anything to do with Windows but maybe the bios or drivers.
          I have 5 soundcards and on-board sound working on this computer, one did need a lot of persuasion to get going.
          First look at the bios, see if there are any sound system settings.
          Then try reinstalling the on-board drivers.
          Look for new drivers for the Creative.

          I have found one card whose drivers refuse to co-exist with other ones on my system (Xonar) but most cards, even the same make and
          different type will usually work together.
          But sometimes a very determined effort is required.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • C WEAVING
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 1, 2012
            Thanks for input Stu

            Yes, the onboard soundcard was disabled in the BIOS. Apparantly this is intentional to prevent conflict with 2 soundcards.

            Whether that is an issue with Softrock, I do not know but think it is unlikely. I can now select either my Creative Audigy PCI card or the Onboard Soundcard.
            Further testing now required, but happily can now move on.

            ( About 3 years ago, I had this Rx/Tx v.6.1 working with another XP computer. I had about 100 QSOs. I do not remember running into this problem, so I assume
            it is motherboard dependant (BIOS)  )