Re: [softrock40] sound card?

  • Stu C
    Message 1 of 3 , Sep 1, 2012
      Hi Troy,
      I've a decent Roland card (UA-55) and a Creative X-Fi USB SB1095.
      For 192kHz the Roland is great but for general use, at 92kHz, the creative is better.

      There is a straightforward modification to the Creative to increase the performance and most seem to perform that.
      Search the forum and all will be revealed.

      I personally have not had much luck with on board cards, one full size motherboard was OK but only at half its advertised sampling rate so I tend to find an external card I can trust and take that to the PC or laptop I am using.

      I do sometimes put a softrock on-line so if you want to test/compare the SB1095 and the Roland (more expensive) card let me know and I'll turn it on and send details.
      I find ground loops and pickup varies with frequency and my current "Prepared to leave powered up" Mini ITX PC
      currently doesn't play too well with the Roland above 14MHz so I probably need to work that out first (might be simply swapping USB ports)

      With the RXTX you'll need two cards anyway for TX (plenty of previous posts on this) so External for RX and internal could be fine for TX (if stereo input).

      Regards
      Stu

      On 01/09/2012 01:32, troysk8 wrote:

      I just finished the receiver side of my ensemble rxtx and hooed it up to my computer running powersdr.

      I heard a few stations but they were week. comparing it to my icom 706
      they were much louder on it is this normal?

      Also currently running it with the sound card in my dell laptop.

      I would like to buy a external sound card usb and would like some recommended ones to buy.

      thanks,

      Troy