Re: [softrock40] Using the Softrock as a Panadapter for a traditional transceiver

    Message 1 of 8 , Sep 1, 2012
      Subject: [softrock40] Using the Softrock as a Panadapter for a traditional transceiver

      > I have a new Kenwood TS-590s, and thought that one of the Softrock receivers would make a great station accessory. But I'm
      > wondering how other hams are using the Softrock - I would assume that it makes sense to turn down the volume on your transceiver
      > and use the Softrock to listen to and find stations to work, then tune the transceiver to match?
      >
      > Are people muting the speaker to the Softrock during transmit?
      >
      > And finally what precautions need to be taken to prevent damage to the Softrock during transmit.

      Ron,

      Sometimes a question like this brings many replies from those that do this, coupling a Lite to the IF.
      There are probably answers if you search old posts. eg
      <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/msearch?query=ts+590+if&submit=Search&charset=UTF-8>
      There is a special version of PSDR that is used for this, I guess it makes it easy.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Chris Wilson
      Message 2 of 8 , Sep 1, 2012

        > Thanks.

        > Kind of surprised there haven't been any responses. Have to be some
        > hams out there with rigs that don't have an IF port that are using these receivers.

        > I've talked to one local ham who gave me some ideas - just would
        > like to hear what others are doing as well.

        > Ron - KJ5XX

        01/09/2012 11:02

        Hi Ron, there's software to make some SDR receivers track the 590, I
        believe you can make a Perseus do this and serve as an (expensive)
        panadaptor. I have never seen any means of making the Softrock track
        the 590, but would love to be proved wrong. I *THINK* Ian Wade has
        some info on making software to track the 590 run with certain SDR's,
        but there's definitely videos on You Tube showing this working. The
        writer of the software is in the USA. I believe a forum member here
        who posts using the user name "Richards" knows about this, we spoke by
        e-mail ages ago as it was the one thing that made me wonder whether to
        get a 590 with its dual IF's and no IF out port. Good luck, please let
        us know how you get along.

        --
        Best Regards,
        Chris Wilson. 2E0ILY
        Message 3 of 8 , Sep 1, 2012
          Ron,

          I am using a Softrock with my Elecraft K2. I tapped into low-level audio and am using a buffer amplifier to bring the signal out to the back of the K2.

          I use the Softrock as both a panadapter and to feed audio to CWSkimmer. I am quite happy with the setup.

          Sorry if this doesn't make much sense; I just woke up. If you have questions fire away. Hopefully I will be more awake later :-)

          73

          Jim - W4BQP

          On 8/31/2012 11:03 PM, Ron wrote:

          Thanks.

          Kind of surprised there haven't been any responses. Have to be some hams out there with rigs that don't have an IF port that are using these receivers.

          I've talked to one local ham who gave me some ideas - just would like to hear what others are doing as well.

          Ron - KJ5XX

        • ke4id
          Message 4 of 8 , Sep 7, 2012
            Hi, Ron,
            I have a TS-590S and use a SoftRock RX Ensemble II as a second receiver and panadapter, controlled with the HDSDR and Omni-Rig software:

            http://www.hdsdr.de/
            http://dxatlas.com/OmniRig/

            Thanks to Bob, W7KWS, for the hint on using HDSDR. This software allows tracking of the TS-590S and SoftRock VFOs, as well as many other features.

            In my application the SoftRock is connected to Beverage antennas through a homemade preamp and a passive "receiver saver".

            The receiver saver I use is a T configuration, using two 22 Ohm resistors in the top of the T, and paralleled silicon switching diodes for the vertical part of the T. One of the diodes is reversed, so signals are clipped at about 0.7 volts. This T is then terminated across another diode pair going into the home-brew preamp for extra protection. Lastly, the same approach is used at the output of the preamp.

            Another approach is to use the transmit antenna for both the TS-590S and the SoftRock through a relay switching arrangement, similar to the approach used to connect the SDR-IQ in this paper (see page 3):

            http://homepage.ntlworld.com/wadei/HOWTO_TS-590S_with_SDR_IQ.pdf

            On the TS-590S, you could select the RX antenna on the front of the radio. This connects the TS-590S receiver to the RX antenna jack on the rear panel. A Y-phono connector plugged into the TS-590S RX antenna jack allows the SoftRock to be connected in parallel with the TS-590S receiver. The remaining port on the Y connector goes to a relay that switches between the receivers, the TS-590S transmitter, and the transmitting antenna. Do this at your own risk! You do not want to transmit into the receivers!!!

            Another possibility is to internally jumper the RX antenna connection in the TS-590S to the TS-590S Receiver board antenna input. This would allow an outboard receiver to be placed in parallel via the RX antenna input and would allow using the transmit antenna via switching through the internal TS-590S relay. Careful, as this may void your warranty.

            Best regards,
            Jack, KE4ID

            Message 5 of 8 , Sep 17, 2012
              Greetings,
              For those who would like more information on using a SoftRock RX Ensemble II Receiver as a pan-adapter for the TS-590S, refer to this link:

              http://crystalradio.us/projects/ts-590s-panadaptor.htm

              Best regards,
              Jack