Re: [softrock40] Built Peaberry SDRs available

  • David Turnbull
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 16 7:51 PM
    Tim, the RXTX case is the correct one for the Peaberry. All the hardware is included.  Attached is a picture. The only parts on the bottom of the board are 20 bypass caps, so the KM5H case lets you show off the whole project by removing two screws.

    David, I have no plans to construct other bands at this time.

    73 David AE9RB

    On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Tim Campbell <kb2mfs@...> wrote:

    Does the softrock rxtx case from KM5H also fit the Peaberry?  I didn't see a specific case listed.

    Thanks
    Tim KB2MFS

    On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 5:34 PM, David Turnbull <dturnbull@...> wrote:

    Good Afternoon,

    I have a few 40m/30m/20m Peaberry SDRs built and tested in the store
    right now. I constructed these by hand by opening a few kits and
    following my own directions. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to do
    this. The SMT work goes fast, but the coils are time consuming.

    http://AE9RB.com

    I just started getting reports of folks successfully completing the
    kit as of a few days ago. Nobody had issues with the PSoC or PCM3060!
    Even so, I'm now offering the option to have these parts installed
    before I ship the kit.

    If your Peaberry radio has 1kHz USB spurs on the center of 30m, I have
    new firmware for you. The spurs won't hurt anything so no rush to
    upgrade. There currently aren't any outstanding issues and I've been
    doing a lot of testing on the air with MEPT_JT over the past few
    weeks. So I think the current release of firmware is pretty solid.

    Software compatibility turns out to be less troublesome than I
    expected. The Peaberry sound cards are USB audio, coded to the
    official spec, and use drivers written by the OS vendor (Microsoft,
    Apple, et al) so you don't have to suffer with junk drivers or defer
    OS upgrades. This appears to have been a good choice as I have reports
    of HDSDR, WSPR, SDR#, DSP Radio, and even PowerSDR working.

    73 David AE9RB

  • ji1udd
    Message 2 of 10 , Aug 17 6:37 AM
      Hi David,

      According to your advice, I joined this group.

      As you know, I've already build my Peaberry and
      now I'm trying to setup some SDR software.

      Although I thought that my Peaberry worked perfectly with HDSDR,
      transmitting operation in phone mode seems to work not perfectly.

      eg. in USB mode, Lo=14.290MHz Tune=14.300MHz, Mic=1kHz sine wave,
      then RF output appears at both 14.299MHz and 14.301MHz.

      In CW mode, there is no image output (a little bit image exactly).

      Since a setup of HDSDR may be mistaken,
      I will check it tomorrow.

      If someone knows the solution, please let me know.

      73 Takashi/JI1UDD

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Turnbull <dturnbull@...> wrote:

      > Good Afternoon,
      >
      > I have a few 40m/30m/20m Peaberry SDRs built and tested in the store
      > right now. I constructed these by hand by opening a few kits and
      > following my own directions. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to do
      > this. The SMT work goes fast, but the coils are time consuming.
      >
      > http://AE9RB.com
      >
      > I just started getting reports of folks successfully completing the
      > kit as of a few days ago. Nobody had issues with the PSoC or PCM3060!
      > Even so, I'm now offering the option to have these parts installed
      > before I ship the kit.
      >
      > If your Peaberry radio has 1kHz USB spurs on the center of 30m, I have
      > new firmware for you. The spurs won't hurt anything so no rush to
      > upgrade. There currently aren't any outstanding issues and I've been
      > doing a lot of testing on the air with MEPT_JT over the past few
      > weeks. So I think the current release of firmware is pretty solid.
      >
      > Software compatibility turns out to be less troublesome than I
      > expected. The Peaberry sound cards are USB audio, coded to the
      > official spec, and use drivers written by the OS vendor (Microsoft,
      > Apple, et al) so you don't have to suffer with junk drivers or defer
      > OS upgrades. This appears to have been a good choice as I have reports
      > of HDSDR, WSPR, SDR#, DSP Radio, and even PowerSDR working.
      >
      > 73 David AE9RB

    • John
      Message 3 of 10 , Aug 20 12:47 PM
        David,
        What is the means of phase balance and is there some way for it to remember variations between bands?

        Thanks,

        John
        KC9OJV

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Turnbull <dturnbull@...> wrote:

        > Good Afternoon,
        >
        > I have a few 40m/30m/20m Peaberry SDRs built and tested in the store
        > right now. I constructed these by hand by opening a few kits and
        > following my own directions. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to do
        > this. The SMT work goes fast, but the coils are time consuming.
        >
        > http://AE9RB.com
        >
        > I just started getting reports of folks successfully completing the
        > kit as of a few days ago. Nobody had issues with the PSoC or PCM3060!
        > Even so, I'm now offering the option to have these parts installed
        > before I ship the kit.
        >
        > If your Peaberry radio has 1kHz USB spurs on the center of 30m, I have
        > new firmware for you. The spurs won't hurt anything so no rush to
        > upgrade. There currently aren't any outstanding issues and I've been
        > doing a lot of testing on the air with MEPT_JT over the past few
        > weeks. So I think the current release of firmware is pretty solid.
        >
        > Software compatibility turns out to be less troublesome than I
        > expected. The Peaberry sound cards are USB audio, coded to the
        > official spec, and use drivers written by the OS vendor (Microsoft,
        > Apple, et al) so you don't have to suffer with junk drivers or defer
        > OS upgrades. This appears to have been a good choice as I have reports
        > of HDSDR, WSPR, SDR#, DSP Radio, and even PowerSDR working.
        >
        > 73 David AE9RB

      • David Turnbull
        Message 4 of 10 , Aug 20 4:10 PM
          Hi John,

          I/Q balance is strictly an application problem (for now).

          All of the 40-30-20 radios I built ended up using the same TX settings
          for I/Q balance on all bands. I don't just mean all the bands are the
          same per radio, I mean all the radios were the same on all the bands!
          Zero degrees of phase shift and half a dB of level adjustment puts me
          better than -50dB. So there should be no reason to have software
          remember per-band settings for transmit.

          The RX is another story. There are variances with each radio and each
          band. Some software, like SDR# and PowerSDR, takes care of this
          automatically. Other software, like HDSDR, requires manual adjustment
          when you change bands, or you can use the HDSDR "-p profilename"
          option to save a profile for each band.

          73 David AE9RB
          http://AE9RB.com