Built Peaberry SDRs available

  • David Turnbull
    Message 1 of 10 , Aug 16 3:34 PM
      Good Afternoon,

      I have a few 40m/30m/20m Peaberry SDRs built and tested in the store
      right now. I constructed these by hand by opening a few kits and
      following my own directions. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to do
      this. The SMT work goes fast, but the coils are time consuming.

      http://AE9RB.com

      I just started getting reports of folks successfully completing the
      kit as of a few days ago. Nobody had issues with the PSoC or PCM3060!
      Even so, I'm now offering the option to have these parts installed
      before I ship the kit.

      If your Peaberry radio has 1kHz USB spurs on the center of 30m, I have
      new firmware for you. The spurs won't hurt anything so no rush to
      upgrade. There currently aren't any outstanding issues and I've been
      doing a lot of testing on the air with MEPT_JT over the past few
      weeks. So I think the current release of firmware is pretty solid.

      Software compatibility turns out to be less troublesome than I
      expected. The Peaberry sound cards are USB audio, coded to the
      official spec, and use drivers written by the OS vendor (Microsoft,
      Apple, et al) so you don't have to suffer with junk drivers or defer
      OS upgrades. This appears to have been a good choice as I have reports
      of HDSDR, WSPR, SDR#, DSP Radio, and even PowerSDR working.

      73 David AE9RB
    • MICHAEL TALLENT
      Message 2 of 10 , Aug 16 4:31 PM
        I was looking at the schematic of the Peaberry and I noticed on page 4 on
        the external LPF that you list the L6-L7 cores for the 80 M filter as yellow
        mix and the higher frequency cores as the red mix, usually is reversed as
        the yellow works a little better at higher freq. JIC you got them listed
        reversed.

        Mike tallent W6MXV

        > I have a few 40m/30m/20m Peaberry SDRs built and tested in the store
        > right now. I constructed these by hand by opening a few kits and
        > following my own directions. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to do
        > this. The SMT work goes fast, but the coils are time consuming.
        >
        > http://AE9RB.com
        >
        > I just started getting reports of folks successfully completing the
        > kit as of a few days ago. Nobody had issues with the PSoC or PCM3060!
        > Even so, I'm now offering the option to have these parts installed
        > before I ship the kit.
        >
        > If your Peaberry radio has 1kHz USB spurs on the center of 30m, I have
        > new firmware for you. The spurs won't hurt anything so no rush to
        > upgrade. There currently aren't any outstanding issues and I've been
        > doing a lot of testing on the air with MEPT_JT over the past few
        > weeks. So I think the current release of firmware is pretty solid.
        >
        > Software compatibility turns out to be less troublesome than I
        > expected. The Peaberry sound cards are USB audio, coded to the
        > official spec, and use drivers written by the OS vendor (Microsoft,
        > Apple, et al) so you don't have to suffer with junk drivers or defer
        > OS upgrades. This appears to have been a good choice as I have reports
        > of HDSDR, WSPR, SDR#, DSP Radio, and even PowerSDR working.
        >
        > 73 David AE9RB

      • David Turnbull
        Message 3 of 10 , Aug 16 4:58 PM
          Hi Mike,

          The two band pass filters use the ideal cores, as does the main LPF.
          L6 and L7 are for the external LPF which is intentionally built using
          the opposite cores. This is to reduce the number of toroids shipped
          with each kit.

          73 David AE9RB
          http://AE9RB.com

          On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM, MICHAEL TALLENT <mwtallent@...> wrote:
          > I was looking at the schematic of the Peaberry and I noticed on page 4 on
          > the external LPF that you list the L6-L7 cores for the 80 M filter as yellow
          > mix and the higher frequency cores as the red mix, usually is reversed as
          > the yellow works a little better at higher freq. JIC you got them listed
          > reversed.
          >
          > Mike tallent W6MXV

        • Tim Campbell

            Message 5 of 10 , Aug 16 5:29 PM
              Drat! I was stocking up my parts supplies with the left over parts from my
              softrock40 builds.

              Mike W6MXV in KY

              > The two band pass filters use the ideal cores, as does the main LPF.
              > L6 and L7 are for the external LPF which is intentionally built using
              > the opposite cores. This is to reduce the number of toroids shipped
              > with each kit.
              >
              > 73 David AE9RB
              > http://AE9RB.com
              >
              > On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM, MICHAEL TALLENT <mwtallent@...>
              > wrote:
              >> I was looking at the schematic of the Peaberry and I noticed on page 4 on
              >> the external LPF that you list the L6-L7 cores for the 80 M filter as
              >> yellow
              >> mix and the higher frequency cores as the red mix, usually is reversed as
              >> the yellow works a little better at higher freq. JIC you got them listed
              >> reversed.
              >>
              >> Mike tallent W6MXV

            • David Meye
              Message 6 of 10 , Aug 16 5:33 PM
                Could I get one asse,bleed for 160 80 and 40

                Message 7 of 10 , Aug 16 7:51 PM
                Tim, the RXTX case is the correct one for the Peaberry. All the hardware is included.  Attached is a picture. The only parts on the bottom of the board are 20 bypass caps, so the KM5H case lets you show off the whole project by removing two screws.

                David, I have no plans to construct other bands at this time.

                73 David AE9RB

                On Thu, Aug 16, 2012 at 5:28 PM, Tim Campbell <kb2mfs@...> wrote:

[...]

              • ji1udd
                Message 8 of 10 , Aug 17 6:37 AM
                  Hi David,

                  According to your advice, I joined this group.

                  As you know, I've already build my Peaberry and
                  now I'm trying to setup some SDR software.

                  Although I thought that my Peaberry worked perfectly with HDSDR,
                  transmitting operation in phone mode seems to work not perfectly.

                  eg. in USB mode, Lo=14.290MHz Tune=14.300MHz, Mic=1kHz sine wave,
                  then RF output appears at both 14.299MHz and 14.301MHz.

                  In CW mode, there is no image output (a little bit image exactly).

                  Since a setup of HDSDR may be mistaken,
                  I will check it tomorrow.

                  If someone knows the solution, please let me know.

                  73 Takashi/JI1UDD

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Turnbull <dturnbull@...> wrote:

                  > Good Afternoon,
                  >
                  > I have a few 40m/30m/20m Peaberry SDRs built and tested in the store
                  > right now. I constructed these by hand by opening a few kits and
                  > following my own directions. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to do
                  > this. The SMT work goes fast, but the coils are time consuming.
                  >
                  > http://AE9RB.com
                  >
                  > I just started getting reports of folks successfully completing the
                  > kit as of a few days ago. Nobody had issues with the PSoC or PCM3060!
                  > Even so, I'm now offering the option to have these parts installed
                  > before I ship the kit.
                  >
                  > If your Peaberry radio has 1kHz USB spurs on the center of 30m, I have
                  > new firmware for you. The spurs won't hurt anything so no rush to
                  > upgrade. There currently aren't any outstanding issues and I've been
                  > doing a lot of testing on the air with MEPT_JT over the past few
                  > weeks. So I think the current release of firmware is pretty solid.
                  >
                  > Software compatibility turns out to be less troublesome than I
                  > expected. The Peaberry sound cards are USB audio, coded to the
                  > official spec, and use drivers written by the OS vendor (Microsoft,
                  > Apple, et al) so you don't have to suffer with junk drivers or defer
                  > OS upgrades. This appears to have been a good choice as I have reports
                  > of HDSDR, WSPR, SDR#, DSP Radio, and even PowerSDR working.
                  >
                  > 73 David AE9RB

                • John
                  Message 9 of 10 , Aug 20 12:47 PM
                    David,
                    What is the means of phase balance and is there some way for it to remember variations between bands?

                    Thanks,

                    John
                    KC9OJV

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, David Turnbull <dturnbull@...> wrote:

                    > Good Afternoon,
                    >
                    > I have a few 40m/30m/20m Peaberry SDRs built and tested in the store
                    > right now. I constructed these by hand by opening a few kits and
                    > following my own directions. I'm not sure how often I'll be able to do
                    > this. The SMT work goes fast, but the coils are time consuming.
                    >
                    > http://AE9RB.com
                    >
                    > I just started getting reports of folks successfully completing the
                    > kit as of a few days ago. Nobody had issues with the PSoC or PCM3060!
                    > Even so, I'm now offering the option to have these parts installed
                    > before I ship the kit.
                    >
                    > If your Peaberry radio has 1kHz USB spurs on the center of 30m, I have
                    > new firmware for you. The spurs won't hurt anything so no rush to
                    > upgrade. There currently aren't any outstanding issues and I've been
                    > doing a lot of testing on the air with MEPT_JT over the past few
                    > weeks. So I think the current release of firmware is pretty solid.
                    >
                    > Software compatibility turns out to be less troublesome than I
                    > expected. The Peaberry sound cards are USB audio, coded to the
                    > official spec, and use drivers written by the OS vendor (Microsoft,
                    > Apple, et al) so you don't have to suffer with junk drivers or defer
                    > OS upgrades. This appears to have been a good choice as I have reports
                    > of HDSDR, WSPR, SDR#, DSP Radio, and even PowerSDR working.
                    >
                    > 73 David AE9RB

                  • David Turnbull
                    Message 10 of 10 , Aug 20 4:10 PM
                      Hi John,

                      I/Q balance is strictly an application problem (for now).

                      All of the 40-30-20 radios I built ended up using the same TX settings
                      for I/Q balance on all bands. I don't just mean all the bands are the
                      same per radio, I mean all the radios were the same on all the bands!
                      Zero degrees of phase shift and half a dB of level adjustment puts me
                      better than -50dB. So there should be no reason to have software
                      remember per-band settings for transmit.

                      The RX is another story. There are variances with each radio and each
                      band. Some software, like SDR# and PowerSDR, takes care of this
                      automatically. Other software, like HDSDR, requires manual adjustment
                      when you change bands, or you can use the HDSDR "-p profilename"
                      option to save a profile for each band.

                      73 David AE9RB
                      http://AE9RB.com