UPDATE - 5V rail issues, or lack of it, on Ensemble RX II

  • loudcrowd+nlewis
    Message 1 of 18 , Aug 15, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 118 Bytes
    I just thought I would update you on the issue I was having with the 5V rail being low, this turned out to to be a fleck of solder on one of the SMT IC's and I am now getting all the correct voltages however I still have a big problem with it not working.

    I went over all SMT devices with a finer tipped soldering iron as well as removed larger spots of solder using desolder braid. I have also gone back over the build as if I was starting from scratch and checked that all the components were of the correct value and of the correct orientation. I also went through all the stage tests that could be done with a multimeter and these tally with what I should be getting.
    I have installed CFGSR and it shows that the USB is connected and if set the tune to 10Mhz the LO is showing 40Mhz, x4 as it should be.
    I then installed HDSDR, PowerSDR and Rocky so that I could see what the differences were in software, all my tests have been done in HDSDR as I prefer this. I then tested it out and I get the following symptoms.
    It seems to adjust the tuning if I use the Tune frequency selection but if I try and change the LO frequency nothing seems to happen except that you can here the band changing, as per the thump in sound and in the waterfall display, and if I change the frequency to past 8 or 9Mhz I appear to be receiving a lot of data signals, ie RTTY and PSK31 etc. When receiving these signals it seems to tune OK using the Tune selector but if the LO is subsequently changed the received signals do not alter at all until it changes band again and then they disappear. Also you will notice that on both sides of the centre frequency is an exact image as if it is not filtering out the other sideband.
    It is as if the board is not responding to a change of LO only band is changes. I have also tried this on 2 other computers one of which was Windows XP the other 2 Windows 7 32 and 64bit.
    To demonstrate what is happening I have taken a short video of HDSDR so that you can hopefully see what is happening, I have also added some hires pictures of my board just in case you spot anything obviously bad or incorrect in my build of it.

    One quick question, the only component I am not happy with is C34. This is a 0.1mfd SMD capacitor across C2 on the 3.3V rail. If this was faulty what would be the effect? I am not sure if the one end is soldered on correctly as it looks like the end plate that solders to the board is missing due to possible overheating. Unfortuantely I cannot change it as I used up all the spares while building it, if need be I will oreder some more from wherever I can.

    I appreciate any help given and hopefully I can get this working correctly.

    Cheers

    Neal
    G1UQK

  • warrenallgyer
    Message 2 of 18 , Aug 15, 2012
      Hi Neil

      I have just looked at your video. I suggest you hit the "h" key in HDSDR to bring up the CFGSR screen from within the application. Then select the Tune tab and watch as you change the LO on HDSDR. You should see it tuning to follow your frequency changes. I suspect that it is not following. It does seem you have the ExtIO-Si5170 ell correctly installed otherwise that indicator would not light on the screen.

      You also are not getting any image rejection....that is why you see the same signals on both sides of the hump. This normally happens because you don't have a full stereo connection to the sound card. It can be that one channel is missing coming out of the RX, or the two channels are shorted together somewhere, or that you have a mono input to the sound card.

      That's the best I can do at the moment.

      Warren Allgyer - W8TOD

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, loudcrowd+nlewis <nlewis@...> wrote:

> [...]
      > Windows 7 32 and 64bit.
      > To demonstrate what is happening I have taken a
      > short video of HDSDR so that you can hopefully see what is happening, I
      > have also added some hires pictures of my board just in case you spot
      > anything obviously bad or incorrect in my build of it.
      >

      > http://www.tlccc.co.uk/files/ [1]
      >
      > One quick question, the only
      > component I am not happy with is C34. This is a 0.1mfd SMD capacitor
      > across C2 on the 3.3V rail. If this was faulty what would be the effect?
      > I am not sure if the one end is soldered on correctly as it looks like
      > the end plate that solders to the board is missing due to possible
      > overheating. Unfortuantely I cannot change it as I used up all the
      > spares while building it, if need be I will oreder some more from
      > wherever I can.
      >
      > I appreciate any help given and hopefully I can get

    • loudcrowd+nlewis
      Message 3 of 18 , Aug 15, 2012

        Hi Warren, thanks for replying.

        I will check the tracking with CFGSR when I get home from work in a few hours time. I have tried the cable in both the MIC and the Line In on all 3 computers with the same result, I would've expected the Line In on at least one of the computers to be a stereo input. I will double check this again along with any setup properties on the device. I will also try my own made up cable as I am using a ready made cable as well as test the line in from an audio device where I can test each channel individually to make sure that it is stereo. Another option that I have is to install a Soundblaster Audigy 2 card as this is a recommended card for PowerSDr so must have a stereo input I would've thought.

        Cheers

        Neal G1UQK

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, loudcrowd+nlewis wrote:

> [...]
        > Windows 7 32 and 64bit.
        > To demonstrate what is happening I have taken a
        > short video of HDSDR so that you can hopefully see what is happening, I
        > have also added some hires pictures of my board just in case you spot
        > anything obviously bad or incorrect in my build of it.
        >

        > http://www.tlccc.co.uk/files/ [1]
        >
        > One quick question, the only
        > component I am not happy with is C34. This is a 0.1mfd SMD capacitor
        > across C2 on the 3.3V rail. If this was faulty what would be the effect?
        > I am not sure if the one end is soldered on correctly as it looks like
        > the end plate that solders to the board is missing due to possible
        > overheating. Unfortuantely I cannot change it as I used up all the
        > spares while building it, if need be I will oreder some more from
        > wherever I can.
        >
        > I appreciate any help given and hopefully I can get

      • warrenallgyer
        Message 4 of 18 , Aug 15, 2012
          Neil

          It may be that you are only getting one channel out of the receiver. That would be my suspicion. Many people mistakenly think that seeing signals on both dides of the hump means they have two good channels but that is definitely not the case. Take a et of iPod earphones and plug them into the receiver you should hear similar levels on both pods. That will eliminate a missing channel.

        • loudcrowd+nlewis
          Message 5 of 18 , Aug 15, 2012

            Hi Warren

            I will also try that later and see if it is the receiver first. Thanks for the info.

            Cheers

            Neal G1UQK

          • Sylvain AZARIAN
            Message 6 of 18 , Aug 15, 2012
              Hi,

              A dedicated page with downloads for binary + code is available on my blog (www.f4gkr.org)
              The makefile is the one I used for compile under windows with MinGW/Msys. It contains links to my paths for FLTK libraries and will certainly have to be rewritten for Linux compile (there are specific defines for Windows FLTK apps compile)

              Let me know if you have troubles
              F4GKR sylvain

              2012/8/15 Sylvain AZARIAN <sylvain.azarian@...>
              Hi Thomas,

              It should... I will post something on my blog with the link to source code today.
              I'll write an email to let you know when done.

              have a nice day
              73 Sylvain F4GKR

              2012/8/14 Thomas Horsten <thomas@...>

              Hi Sylvian,

              I'd like the source so I see if I can get it to work on Linux!

              73, Thomas M0TRN

              On 10 August 2012 14:50, Sylvain AZARIAN <sylvain.azarian@...> wrote:

              Hi group,

              Trying to have my custom SDR transmitter working, I developped a small windows application to generate IQ signals over soundcard.
              This application can be downloaded from a link at the very end of this post :

              it works under Windows 7 "all flavors" (32 & 64 bits) and windows XP.
              The application is compiled using GCC and relies on FLTK + portaudio for sound card interface.

              There is no install program or whatever, everything comes in the ZIP file (executable + Gnu DLLs)

              I have not posted the source code because it was quick & dirty coding... but if someone wants it... well let me know ;-)

              Have fun with it !
              regards

              sylvain F4GKR

            • Neal Lewis
              Message 7 of 18 , Aug 15, 2012

                Ok, if I tune the LO in HDSDR it syncs fine with the Tune tab in CFGSR the only anomaly is that is out by 180Hz, that is when HDSDR is at .000 CFGSR shows .180. I have also plugged an Ipod amplifier in to the audio out and I get a signal in both speakers suggesting that both channels are working ok.

                I am now at a loss as it would appear that I have USB control but the LO in HDSDR is not controlling the tuning at the receiver, I also do not seem to have any image rejection which you will see in the video that I have put at  www.tlccc.co.uk/files

                Can anyone else throw any light on this?

                Cheers

                Neal

                G1UQK

                Message 8 of 18 , Aug 15, 2012

                  Ok, if I tune the LO in HDSDR it syncs fine with the Tune tab in CFGSR the only anomaly is that is out by 180Hz, that is when HDSDR
                  is at .000 CFGSR shows .180. I have also plugged an Ipod amplifier in to the audio out and I get a signal in both speakers
                  suggesting that both channels are working ok.

                  I can't really understand what you are describing.
                  Does the Si570 change frequency? Can you hear it on another RX? What does CFGSR "Test" tab say?

                  > I also do not seem to have any image rejection

                  What soundcard? Does it need a sample delay?

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ
                • Neal Lewis
                  Message 9 of 18 , Aug 15, 2012

                    Hi Alan

                    It is a built in Realtek High Definition Audio device. To get an idea what I mean have a look at the video I took at www.tlcc.co.uk/files I have also put a few hires pics of the board plus a screenshot of the Test tab in CFGSR. One interesting thing I have found is if I go to the balance control of the Line In it is only registering sound on one channel, I can increase or decrease the volume of one channel and it has no effect even though when I plug an Ipod amp into the receiver I get sound from both channels, maybe I need a better sound card?

                    To try and describe it a bit more, I can alter the tune in HDSDR and the tune cursor above it moves backwards and forwards and anything received tunes with it. If I then alter the LO frequency in HDSDR then the numbers depicting the frequency move but the received audio does not alter at all until it hits the band change frequency and it will change to the next band but nothing tunes. Strangely when it is in band 2 and 3 it appears to receive some data but it is as if it is set at a fixed receive range. Also if I watch the Tune tab in CFGSR when I change the LO in HFSDR CFGSR changes along with it. Hopefully the video that I took will explain it.

                    Cheers

                    Neal G1UQK

                    Ok, if I tune the LO in HDSDR it syncs fine with the Tune tab in CFGSR the only anomaly is that is out by 180Hz, that is when HDSDR
                    is at .000 CFGSR shows .180. I have also plugged an Ipod amplifier in to the audio out and I get a signal in both speakers
                    suggesting that both channels are working ok.

                    I can't really understand what you are describing.
                    Does the Si570 change frequency? Can you hear it on another RX? What does CFGSR "Test" tab say?

                    > I also do not seem to have any image rejection

                    What soundcard? Does it need a sample delay?

                    73 Alan G4ZFQ

                  • Chris Wilson
                    Message 10 of 18 , Aug 15, 2012

                      > One quick question, the only component I am not happy with is C34.
                      > This is a 0.1mfd SMD capacitor across C2 on the 3.3V rail. If this
                      > was faulty what would be the effect? I am not sure if the one end is
                      > soldered on correctly as it looks like the end plate that solders to
                      > the board is missing due to possible overheating. Unfortuantely I
                      > cannot change it as I used up all the spares while building it, if
                      > need be I will oreder some more from wherever I can.
                      >
                      > I appreciate any help given and hopefully I can get this working correctly.
                      >
                      > Cheers
                      >
                      > Neal
                      > G1UQK

                      16/08/2012 01:44

                      I definitely don't like the look of C34, as you say. Whether that has
                      anything at all to do with your issues I am not qualified to say, but
                      it certainly looks suspect.

                      --
                      Best Regards,
                      Chris Wilson. M6DFV
                      Message 11 of 18 , Aug 15, 2012

                        >It is a built in Realtek High Definition Audio device

                        Neal,

                        This should be OK.

                        > if I go to the balance control of the Line In it is only registering sound on one channel, I can increase or decrease the volume
                        > of one channel and it has no effect even though when I plug an Ipod amp into the receiver I get sound from both channels,

                        This could be a cable problem.

                        .>To get an idea what I mean have a look at the video I took at www.tlcc.co.uk/files I have also put a few hires pics of the board
                        plus a screenshot of the Test tab in CFGSR.

                        All that is needed is said here. "No Si570 connected" Check the soldering of the Si570, particularly pins 7/8. Make sure there is
                        not too much solder here, the small contacts each side of centre must not be soldered.
                        C34 might be a problem. If the Si570 looks good then replace this first. I'm sure Ebay will produce some. Like
                        <http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/50x-SMD-SMT-0805-MLC-Capacitor-/260973425038?pt=UK_BOI_Electrical_Components_Supplies_ET&var=&hash=item3cc33a718e#ht_715wt_1167>

                        Or a kit of them, once you get into SMD you'll wonder why you did not before.

                        73 Alan G4ZFQ
                      • loudcrowd+nlewis
                        Message 12 of 18 , Aug 16, 2012

                          Thanks for all the input, I have some capacitors already on order and should be with me today. I will get that one replaced and see if there it makes any difference, I will also make up another cable and try another sound card that I have here then I will have a look at doing some surgery on the Si570 to see if it is a solder issue. I will post back when I have been able to do these tasks.

                          Many Thanks

                          Neal. G1UQK

                          Message 13 of 18 , Aug 18, 2012

                            Just to give everyone an update, I finally have a working Ensemble RX II. I replaced C34 which did not make any difference and this morning I did some surgery on the Si570 and it looked like pins 1 and 8 were the culprit, not 7 and 8 as most people suggest. I also made up a new audio cable as I noticed that the readymade cable I was using had an issue with the 3.5mm plug being either slightly too long or too short. I can now start playing with the various flavours of software and enjoy the splendours of SDR.

                            Many thanks to all that contributed to helping me.

                            Cheers

                            Neal G1UQK