Fwd: Re: Curiosity on Mars

  • Bruce Tanner
    Message 1 of 11 , Aug 10, 2012
    • 1 Attachment
    • 437 KB

    Here is a view of the 'Curiosity' tracks on Mars. If you look carefully
    you can just about make out the 'JPL' in Morse Code within the tracks,
    towards the middle-left of the image. This image was saved from the recently
    released '360 Panoramic View' around 'Curiosity'. Quite a scene to
    behold. Get if via the URL below.

    <http://panoramas.dk/mars/greeley-haven.html>

    Bruce

    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7375 (20120810) __________

    http://www.eset.com

  • David
    Message 2 of 11 , Aug 11, 2012
      This is not Curiosity, it is a panoramic view from the MER "Opportunity" taken between December 2011 and May 2012. JPL halted activity on Opportunity to allow comms bandwidth for the Curiosity landing. Now that has occurred, they plan to start driving Opportunity again soon. It has traveled more than 34km since landing on Mars in January 2004.

      The other MER, "Spirit" has not been heard from since March 2010.

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

      > Here is a view of the 'Curiosity' tracks on Mars. If you look carefully
      > you can just about make out the 'JPL' in Morse Code within the tracks,
      > towards the middle-left of the image. This image was saved from the recently
      > released '360 Panoramic View' around 'Curiosity'. Quite a scene to
      > behold. Get if via the URL below.
      >
      > <http://panoramas.dk/mars/greeley-haven.html>
      >
      > Bruce
      >

      > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7375 (20120810) __________

      > http://www.eset.com

    • KQ8M
      Message 3 of 11 , Aug 11, 2012

        I was going to say, I don't see any Morse code only equally spaced markers in the tracks.

        73,

        Tim Herrick, KQ8M

        Charter Member North Coast Contesters

        kq8m@...

        AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

        This is not Curiosity, it is a panoramic view from the MER "Opportunity" taken between December 2011 and May 2012. JPL halted activity on Opportunity to allow comms bandwidth for the Curiosity landing. Now that has occurred, they plan to start driving Opportunity again soon. It has traveled more than 34km since landing on Mars in January 2004.

        The other MER, "Spirit" has not been heard from since March 2010.

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

        > Here is a view of the 'Curiosity' tracks on Mars. If you look carefully
        > you can just about make out the 'JPL' in Morse Code within the tracks,
        > towards the middle-left of the image. This image was saved from the recently
        > released '360 Panoramic View' around 'Curiosity'. Quite a scene to
        > behold. Get if via the URL below.
        >
        > <http://panoramas.dk/mars/greeley-haven.html>
        >
        > Bruce
        >

        > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7375 (20120810) __________

        > http://www.eset.com

      • Bruce Tanner
        Message 4 of 11 , Aug 11, 2012
          David, with further reading of info on the site... You are correct! My apologies to the group for the miss-information!  Another case of 'seen a little of Mars, seen it all', is all the excuse I can offer!

          Redfaced, K2BET

          ----
          On 8/11/2012 11:52 AM, David wrote:

          This is not Curiosity, it is a panoramic view from the MER "Opportunity" taken between December 2011 and May 2012. JPL halted activity on Opportunity to allow comms bandwidth for the Curiosity landing. Now that has occurred, they plan to start driving Opportunity again soon. It has traveled more than 34km since landing on Mars in January 2004.

          The other MER, "Spirit" has not been heard from since March 2010.

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

          > Here is a view of the 'Curiosity' tracks on Mars. If you look carefully
          > you can just about make out the 'JPL' in Morse Code within the tracks,
          > towards the middle-left of the image. This image was saved from the recently
          > released '360 Panoramic View' around 'Curiosity'. Quite a scene to
          > behold. Get if via the URL below.
          >
          > <http://panoramas.dk/mars/greeley-haven.html>
          >
          > Bruce
          >

          > __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7375 (20120810) __________

          > http://www.eset.com

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7376 (20120811) __________

          http://www.eset.com

        • Bruce Tanner

            Message 6 of 11 , Aug 11, 2012
              I think I am not adding 2+2 very well this morning... I even wondered how I had missed the notion that 'Curiosity' had been traveling enough to make those tracks! I don't think they have actually put it into forward gear yet!

              K2BET

              Message 7 of 11 , Aug 11, 2012
                They have not, Curiosity has not moved since it landed. But it will soon. With a nuclear power source, it will not be dependent on dusty solar cells like the previous rovers were.

                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                > I think I am not adding 2+2 very well this morning... I even wondered
                > how I had missed the notion that 'Curiosity' had been traveling enough
                > to make those tracks! I don't think they have actually put it into
                > forward gear yet!
                >
                > K2BET

              • Bruce Tanner
                Message 8 of 11 , Aug 11, 2012
                  Oppenheimer finally smiles...

                  On 8/11/2012 2:55 PM, David wrote:

                  They have not, Curiosity has not moved since it landed. But it will soon. With a nuclear power source, it will not be dependent on dusty solar cells like the previous rovers were.

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                  > I think I am not adding 2+2 very well this morning... I even wondered
                  > how I had missed the notion that 'Curiosity' had been traveling enough
                  > to make those tracks! I don't think they have actually put it into
                  > forward gear yet!
                  >
                  > K2BET

                  __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7377 (20120811) __________

                  http://www.eset.com

                • KQ8M
                  Message 9 of 11 , Aug 11, 2012

                    I believe I read somewhere that they have about 2 weeks of testing before it gets moving. It will be very exciting when it does.

                    73,

                    Tim Herrick, KQ8M

                    Charter Member North Coast Contesters

                    kq8m@...

                    AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

                    They have not, Curiosity has not moved since it landed. But it will soon. With a nuclear power source, it will not be dependent on dusty solar cells like the previous rovers were.

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                    > I think I am not adding 2+2 very well this morning... I even wondered
                    > how I had missed the notion that 'Curiosity' had been traveling enough
                    > to make those tracks! I don't think they have actually put it into
                    > forward gear yet!
                    >
                    > K2BET

                    __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7377 (20120811) __________

                    http://www.eset.com

                  • Jerry
                    Message 10 of 11 , Aug 11, 2012

                      Be real exciting when something picks it up to look it over.

                      Jerry N7YGE

                      They have not, Curiosity has not moved since it landed. But it will soon. With a nuclear power source, it will not be dependent on dusty solar cells like the previous rovers were.

                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                      > I think I am not adding 2+2 very well this morning... I even wondered
                      > how I had missed the notion that 'Curiosity' had been traveling enough
                      > to make those tracks! I don't think they have actually put it into
                      > forward gear yet!
                      >
                      > K2BET

                      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7377 (20120811) __________

                      http://www.eset.com

                    • Jasmine Strong
                      Message 11 of 11 , Aug 11, 2012
                        And with 1 kW of waste heat from the plutonium system, it won't freeze to death or stop working during the dark winter months-  giving us the first opportunity to see what happens on the surface during a Martian winter!

                        -J.