Interesting comment on 'Curiosity' on Mars

  • Bruce Tanner
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 10 7:48 PM
    Mars Science Laboratory, Curiosity Rover vehicle tires have tread
    patterns that imprint the acronym JPL in Morse Code in the dusty soil of
    the Mars surface. The wheel tread pattern is made by square and
    rectangular holes in the wheels. When in motion riding around the sandy
    Gale Crater, this pattern is viewed by the driver using some of the 17
    cameras aboard this interplanetary SUV. It takes about 14 minutes for
    radio waves to travel from the red planet to earth, through the Mars
    Odyssey orbiter relay satellite using UHF. Since there is a more than a
    30 minute round trip delay between the driving commands and finding out
    the result of the measured moves, there is a need for the earth-bound
    drivers to maintain visual orientation and checks of distance
    traveled... this can be gauged by incremental count of the tread pattern
    repeats. Curiosity has 6 of these morse-coded wheels, and uses a
    rocker-bogie suspension, enabling it to climb obstacles. Who knows how
    many years these tread patterns will last on Mars? Perhaps when future
    Martian archaeologists study these strange fossil tread patterns a few
    hundred years from now, they will try to find someone studied in ancient
    radio lore to decode the meaning. (see attached photo)

    Terry L. Morris, KB8AMZ
  • Jasmine Strong

      Message 3 of 6 , Aug 10 8:04 PM
        JPL -- yea I heard about it on 40M this afternoon ....

        To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        CC: bet110@...
        From: bet110@...
        Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 22:48:38 -0400
        Subject: [softrock40] Interesting comment on 'Curiosity' on Mars [1 Attachment]

        [Attachment(s) from Bruce Tanner included below]

[...]

      • K2DMS
        Message 4 of 6 , Aug 10 9:37 PM
          Good point about the wind, however the distinction between an acronym and initialism is not so clear.

          According to Wikipedia it would be an initialism if we were to refer to JPL as "JPL Labs"; as in "ATM Machine" or "PIN Number" where the last letter and last term are redundant. I've never called it JPL Labs so please cite the sources for your definition.

          Danny
          K2DMS/VA3UE

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jasmine Strong <modulararithmetic@...> wrote:

          > JPL is an initialism but not an acronym.
          >
          > Archaeologists will not likely find these tread patterns since it gets windy on Mars and the treadprints are not going to last very long; there's no mud on Mars, at least not in the last few million years.
          >
          > -J.
          >
          > On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:48 PM, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:
          >
          > > [Attachment(s) from Bruce Tanner included below]
          > >

          > > Mars Science Laboratory, Curiosity Rover vehicle tires have tread
          > > patterns that imprint the acronym JPL in Morse Code in the dusty soil of
          > > the Mars surface. The wheel tread pattern is made by square and
          > > rectangular holes in the wheels. When in motion riding around the sandy
          > > Gale Crater, this pattern is viewed by the driver using some of the 17
          > > cameras aboard this interplanetary SUV. It takes about 14 minutes for
          > > radio waves to travel from the red planet to earth, through the Mars
          > > Odyssey orbiter relay satellite using UHF. Since there is a more than a
          > > 30 minute round trip delay between the driving commands and finding out
          > > the result of the measured moves, there is a need for the earth-bound
          > > drivers to maintain visual orientation and checks of distance
          > > traveled... this can be gauged by incremental count of the tread pattern
          > > repeats. Curiosity has 6 of these morse-coded wheels, and uses a
          > > rocker-bogie suspension, enabling it to climb obstacles. Who knows how
          > > many years these tread patterns will last on Mars? Perhaps when future
          > > Martian archaeologists study these strange fossil tread patterns a few
          > > hundred years from now, they will try to find someone studied in ancient
          > > radio lore to decode the meaning. (see attached photo)
          > >
          > > Terry L. Morris, KB8AMZ

        • Jasmine Strong
          Message 5 of 6 , Aug 10 9:52 PM

            An acronym is an initialism that is pronounced like a word; for example, NASA, SOCOM and BASIC are acronyms.  JPL is not, unless you go around referring to it as "jepple".  I quite like that, actually, and may start doing it.

            An initialism is a word constructed out of initials.  JPL, GCHQ and VHF, for three.

            -J.

            On 10 Aug 2012, at 21:37, K2DMS <k2dms@...> wrote:

            Good point about the wind, however the distinction between an acronym and initialism is not so clear.

            According to Wikipedia it would be an initialism if we were to refer to JPL as "JPL Labs"; as in "ATM Machine" or "PIN Number" where the last letter and last term are redundant. I've never called it JPL Labs so please cite the sources for your definition.

            Danny
            K2DMS/VA3UE

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Jasmine Strong <modulararithmetic@...> wrote:

            > JPL is an initialism but not an acronym.
            >
            > Archaeologists will not likely find these tread patterns since it gets windy on Mars and the treadprints are not going to last very long; there's no mud on Mars, at least not in the last few million years.
            >
            > -J.
            >
            > On Aug 10, 2012, at 7:48 PM, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:
            >
            > > [Attachment(s) from Bruce Tanner included below]
            > >

            > > Mars Science Laboratory, Curiosity Rover vehicle tires have tread
            > > patterns that imprint the acronym JPL in Morse Code in the dusty soil of
            > > the Mars surface. The wheel tread pattern is made by square and
            > > rectangular holes in the wheels. When in motion riding around the sandy
            > > Gale Crater, this pattern is viewed by the driver using some of the 17
            > > cameras aboard this interplanetary SUV. It takes about 14 minutes for
            > > radio waves to travel from the red planet to earth, through the Mars
            > > Odyssey orbiter relay satellite using UHF. Since there is a more than a
            > > 30 minute round trip delay between the driving commands and finding out
            > > the result of the measured moves, there is a need for the earth-bound
            > > drivers to maintain visual orientation and checks of distance
            > > traveled... this can be gauged by incremental count of the tread pattern
            > > repeats. Curiosity has 6 of these morse-coded wheels, and uses a
            > > rocker-bogie suspension, enabling it to climb obstacles. Who knows how
            > > many years these tread patterns will last on Mars? Perhaps when future
            > > Martian archaeologists study these strange fossil tread patterns a few
            > > hundred years from now, they will try to find someone studied in ancient
            > > radio lore to decode the meaning. (see attached photo)
            > >
            > > Terry L. Morris, KB8AMZ

          • John Rabson