Intro

  • Geoff Blake
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
      Hi Group,

      Fairly new to the group, only one post thus far, but I have read many back messages and I also recognise many names/callsigns from other areas too.

      I have a simple question or three - no doubt require complex answers.

      1) is the RX ensemble 6/4/2m still available? I get different answers depending where I look. I think the answer is yes, but I also have seen "retired" against the entry on some web listings.

      2) if so, is there a TX version? - no great power required. +30dBm will be more than adequate. In this case I think the answer is no.

      3) is there any chance of a 70cm version in the near future? Again I have seen no suggestion of such.

      My interest, if not obvious, is for driving transverters for microwave use.

      Thanks Geoff

      Geoff Blake,   G8GNZ    JO01fq:   Chelmsford,  Essex,  UK
      <geoff@...>    or   <melecerties@...>
      Using Linux: Ubuntu 11.04 on Intel or Debian on UltraSparc
      and even on the NAS.     Avoiding Micro$oft like the plague.
    • Zack Widup
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
        Hi Geoff,

        I just bought the current Ensemble VHF version. As far as I can tell, only a receive version is available now. The documentation is a little hard to find but it's here:

        http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble_rx_ii_vhf/

        This is a full Softrock receiver, not just a converter. The instructions say you can make it for 50, 70 or 144 MHz depending on which parts you use. There are parts in the kit for all three bands.

        No idea if a 70 cm version will be available some day.

        73, Zack W9SZ

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 2, 2012
            Subject: [softrock40] Intro

            > 1) is the RX ensemble 6/4/2m still available? I get different answers
            > depending where I look. I think the answer is yes, but I also have seen
            > "retired" against the entry on some web listings.

            Geoff,

            Really only Tony can answer these questions, however his site says "Check back soon."

            > 2) if so, is there a TX version? - no great power required. +30dBm will be
            > more than adequate. In this case I think the answer is no.

            There was discussion, only Tony can say if there is to be one.

            > 3) is there any chance of a 70cm version in the near future? Again I have
            > seen no suggestion of such.

            Probably not.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Geoff Blake
            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 2, 2012
              Hi Alan, Group,

              Thank you for your reply Alan, I normally check my email two or three
              times a day and have been checking Tony's site each time. I don't know
              if you are aware but the ukmicrowave group are working on a 432MHz
              version I believe. My understanding is that this version will
              interface to the PC via Ethernet but no timescale is available.

              Thanks

              Geoff G8GNZ