Re: Vacation Mess ...... Greg Chartrand ..... Help !!!

  • Gian
    Message 1 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
      Too Bad, it can happen anywhere.... sorry

      It is strange the USA Embassy cannot help, normally a Consulate con fix the payment in these cases, even the Italian ones.

      Hope it is a fake message and not a real happening

      73

      Gian

      I7SWX

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "PaulY" <paul@...> wrote:

      > This exactly like one I received a few weeks ago, apparently from a good friend. Knowing that my friend was more likely to visit Italy than Spain, I rang his home phone. He answered.
      >
      > My friend had been victimized by a phishing email, as I suspect Mr. Chartrand has. He admitted to responding to an email apparently from his email provider, requiring that he log in to confirm account details to avoid suspension of his email
      >
      > For the fun of it, I engaged the scammer in a few emails. He could not tell me where we knew each other from, or even what kind of car he drove!
      >
      > Watch out for phishing emails!
      >
      > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jimawhitaker@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Does this ever work?
      > >
      > > DE N8XYN Jim

    • John Greusel
      Message 2 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
        Gian,

        No one from the state of Washington in the US (far northwest corner of the country) would say- "I came down here to Madrid, Spain."
        They just wouldn't say that but some one located elsewhere (that didn't know geography) would.

        John
        KC9OJV

        Too Bad, it can happen anywhere.... sorry

        It is strange the USA Embassy cannot help, normally a Consulate con fix the payment in these cases, even the Italian ones.

        Hope it is a fake message and not a real happening

        73

        Gian

        I7SWX

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "PaulY" <paul@...> wrote:

        > This exactly like one I received a few weeks ago, apparently from a good friend. Knowing that my friend was more likely to visit Italy than Spain, I rang his home phone. He answered.
        >
        > My friend had been victimized by a phishing email, as I suspect Mr. Chartrand has. He admitted to responding to an email apparently from his email provider, requiring that he log in to confirm account details to avoid suspension of his email
        >
        > For the fun of it, I engaged the scammer in a few emails. He could not tell me where we knew each other from, or even what kind of car he drove!
        >
        > Watch out for phishing emails!
        >
        > --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Jim" <jimawhitaker@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Does this ever work?
        > >
        > > DE N8XYN Jim

      • Norman Lee
        Message 3 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
          OTOH, Greg checks out ok on QTH. Strange, or am I just being naive?
          Kind regards
          Norm VK5GI
          Willunga, South Australia
          Where the world's best wines come from.

          Sent from my iPad
        • Bruce Tanner
          Message 4 of 21 , Aug 1, 2012
            Norman, the message is a scam by someone who has highjacked the email account/signature of the party which appears to have authored the message. If you look back group members have responded in all sorts of ways with no continuation of commentary from the alleged original poster. If the fellow was actually in trouble I believe we would have gotten some sort of confirmation from him by now.

            Glad that you are considering 'benefit of doubt', however.

            bet

            ---
            On 8/1/2012 11:14 PM, Norman Lee wrote:

            OTOH, Greg checks out ok on QTH. Strange, or am I just being naive?
            Kind regards
            Norm VK5GI
            Willunga, South Australia
            Where the world's best wines come from.

            Sent from my iPad

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7347 (20120801) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • Gian
            Message 5 of 21 , Aug 2, 2012
              Hi John,

              thanks for the comment about "...down here..." I was puzzled on that but being in south Europe an Italian would never use "down here", maybe an English or north European persom may say so.

              We may use it Italian when one from north Italy comes down south.

              There is always something to learn...hi

              Best 73

              Gian
              I7SWX

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, John Greusel <greusel@...> wrote:

              > Gian,
              >
              > No one from the state of Washington in the US (far northwest corner of the country) would say- "I came down here to Madrid, Spain."
              > They just wouldn't say that but some one located elsewhere (that didn't know geography) would.
              >
              > John
              > KC9OJV

            • Don Rolph
              Message 6 of 21 , Aug 2, 2012

                Greg is undoubtedly a real person, but it would appear that Greg’s mail has been hijacked.

                Message 7 of 21 , Aug 2, 2012
                  So on top of all this other trouble his email has been hacked too!

                  Poor guy.

                  (sorry I couldn't help it)
                  Stu

                  --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Don Rolph" <don.rolph@...> wrote:

                  > Greg is undoubtedly a real person, but it would appear that Greg's mail has
                  > been hijacked.

                • Lawrence Galea
                  Message 8 of 21 , Aug 3, 2012
                    No the first time with these scammers,
                    Just ignore them or engage them in useless e-mails if you have time to take them for a ride.
                    Regards to all
                    Lawrence