Re: [softrock40] Intro

  • Dave Sublette
    Message 1 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
      Welcome Zack,

      I have the Ensemble  II Rx that I do the same thing with. It is really slick.

      Dave

      On 8/1/2012 10:58 AM, Zack Widup wrote:

      Hi All,

      I just joined the group. I just got a Softrock Ensemble VHF receiver kit. I'm assembling it now. I am hoping it will work as an assist to making microwave QSO's. Most of my microwave gear has a 144 MHz IF. It could take out the variable of having to both tune around for the station's frequency and try to point the dish antenna at the same time.

      73, Zack W9SZ

    • Zack Widup
      Message 2 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
        Hi Dave,

        I think you inspired me to get it on another group we're on.
        :-)

        73, Zack W9SZ

        On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 11:59 AM, Dave Sublette <k4to@...> wrote:

        Welcome Zack,

        I have the Ensemble  II Rx that I do the same thing with. It is really slick.

        Dave

        On 8/1/2012 10:58 AM, Zack Widup wrote:

        Hi All,

        I just joined the group. I just got a Softrock Ensemble VHF receiver kit. I'm assembling it now. I am hoping it will work as an assist to making microwave QSO's. Most of my microwave gear has a 144 MHz IF. It could take out the variable of having to both tune around for the station's frequency and try to point the dish antenna at the same time.

        73, Zack W9SZ

      • MIKE DURKIN
        Message 3 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
          What microwave group are you in?

          Mike KC7NOA

          To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
            The one Dave and I are both on is the Mid-America Microwave Society (MAMS) group at mailman.qth.net. I'm on a bunch of other ones besides that one.

            73, Zack W9SZ

            To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com

            Message 5 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
              So if I joined http://mailman.qth.net/ will be getting emails from microwave users .... or do I need more information

              To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              From: w9sz.zack@...
              Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 15:38:33 -0500
              Subject: Re: [softrock40] Intro

              To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
              From: w9sz.zack@...
              Date: Wed, 1 Aug 2012 09:58:29 -0500

              Hi All,

              I just joined the group. I just got a Softrock Ensemble VHF receiver kit. I'm assembling it now. I am hoping it will work as an assist to making microwave QSO's. Most of my microwave gear has a 144 MHz IF. It could take out the variable of having to both tune around for the station's frequency and try to point the dish antenna at the same time.

              73, Zack W9SZ

            • Geoff Blake
              Message 6 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                Hi Group,

                Fairly new to the group, only one post thus far, but I have read many back messages and I also recognise many names/callsigns from other areas too.

                I have a simple question or three - no doubt require complex answers.

                1) is the RX ensemble 6/4/2m still available? I get different answers depending where I look. I think the answer is yes, but I also have seen "retired" against the entry on some web listings.

                2) if so, is there a TX version? - no great power required. +30dBm will be more than adequate. In this case I think the answer is no.

                3) is there any chance of a 70cm version in the near future? Again I have seen no suggestion of such.

                My interest, if not obvious, is for driving transverters for microwave use.

                Thanks Geoff

                Geoff Blake,   G8GNZ    JO01fq:   Chelmsford,  Essex,  UK
                <geoff@...>    or   <melecerties@...>
                Using Linux: Ubuntu 11.04 on Intel or Debian on UltraSparc
                and even on the NAS.     Avoiding Micro$oft like the plague.
              • Zack Widup
                Message 7 of 17 , Aug 1, 2012
                  Hi Geoff,

                  I just bought the current Ensemble VHF version. As far as I can tell, only a receive version is available now. The documentation is a little hard to find but it's here:

                  http://www.wb5rvz.com/sdr/ensemble_rx_ii_vhf/

                  This is a full Softrock receiver, not just a converter. The instructions say you can make it for 50, 70 or 144 MHz depending on which parts you use. There are parts in the kit for all three bands.

                  No idea if a 70 cm version will be available some day.

                  73, Zack W9SZ

                    Message 9 of 17 , Aug 2, 2012

                      > 1) is the RX ensemble 6/4/2m still available? I get different answers
                      > depending where I look. I think the answer is yes, but I also have seen
                      > "retired" against the entry on some web listings.

                      Geoff,

                      Really only Tony can answer these questions, however his site says "Check back soon."

                      > 2) if so, is there a TX version? - no great power required. +30dBm will be
                      > more than adequate. In this case I think the answer is no.

                      There was discussion, only Tony can say if there is to be one.

                      > 3) is there any chance of a 70cm version in the near future? Again I have
                      > seen no suggestion of such.

                      Probably not.

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ
                    • Geoff Blake
                      Message 10 of 17 , Aug 2, 2012
                        Hi Alan, Group,

                        Thank you for your reply Alan, I normally check my email two or three
                        times a day and have been checking Tony's site each time. I don't know
                        if you are aware but the ukmicrowave group are working on a 432MHz
                        version I believe. My understanding is that this version will
                        interface to the PC via Ethernet but no timescale is available.

                        Thanks

                        Geoff G8GNZ