VHF Ensemble on 6M?

  • Ronald Wagner
    Message 1 of 9 , Jul 30 8:34 PM

      I’ve got what I believe to be a working 6m Ensemble, but don’t hear any obvious signals.  I have the wrong antenna for this application, but still would expect it to pick up something.  It’s a Alpha Delta 40-20-15-10m dipole.  Should I still pick up a signal on 6M in the Los Angeles area?

      Ron – ki6fhb

    • MIKE DURKIN
      Message 2 of 9 , Jul 30 8:44 PM
        Is 6M as popular as 2M in the Los Angeles area?
        Probably a better test with a Signal generator ....

        Mike KC7NOA

        To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
        From: rcwagner@...
        Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:34:52 -0700
        Subject: [softrock40] VHF Ensemble on 6M?

        I’ve got what I believe to be a working 6m Ensemble, but don’t hear any obvious signals.  I have the wrong antenna for this application, but still would expect it to pick up something.  It’s a Alpha Delta 40-20-15-10m dipole.  Should I still pick up a signal on 6M in the Los Angeles area?

        Ron – ki6fhb

      • John Greusel
        Message 3 of 9 , Jul 30 8:46 PM
          I was going to suggest an antenna analyzer if there's no signal generator handy. If I put a short antenna on mine I can hear it from a fairly good distance.

          John
          KC9OJV

          To: softrock40@yahoogroups.com
          From: rcwagner@...
          Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 20:34:52 -0700

          I’ve got what I believe to be a working 6m Ensemble, but don’t hear any obvious signals.  I have the wrong antenna for this application, but still would expect it to pick up something.  It’s a Alpha Delta 40-20-15-10m dipole.  Should I still pick up a signal on 6M in the Los Angeles area?

          Ron – ki6fhb

        • vbifyz
          Message 4 of 9 , Jul 30 8:59 PM
            I use this version to monitor meteor reflections. In LA you can receive meteor pings and plane reflections from Mexican analog TV transmitters on 55.240, 55.250 (most reliable) and 55.260MHz. Best time for meteor pings is morning. You can use a TV antenna, fully extended rabbit ears should be ok, rotate for best S/N. Alignment is required, you are unlikely to hear anything with random trimmer positions.

            73, Mike

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Ronald Wagner" <rcwagner@...> wrote:

            > I've got what I believe to be a working 6m Ensemble, but don't hear any
            > obvious signals. I have the wrong antenna for this application, but still
            > would expect it to pick up something. It's a Alpha Delta 40-20-15-10m
            > dipole. Should I still pick up a signal on 6M in the Los Angeles area?
            >

            > Ron - ki6fhb

          • Roger Gagos
            Message 5 of 9 , Jul 30 9:48 PM
              Hi Ron:

              Six meters isn't all that active, especially compared to two meters or 440 MHz.  Check here:

              http://www.kb6mip.org/6m.html

              and you may see some strong signals that should be receivable on your antenna.  Good Luck and have fun!

              73,

              Roger Gagos, K6EQ

              On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 8:34 PM, Ronald Wagner <rcwagner@...> wrote:

              I’ve got what I believe to be a working 6m Ensemble, but don’t hear any obvious signals.  I have the wrong antenna for this application, but still would expect it to pick up something.  It’s a Alpha Delta 40-20-15-10m dipole.  Should I still pick up a signal on 6M in the Los Angeles area?

              Ron – ki6fhb

            • Paul, N6EV
              Message 6 of 9 , Jul 30 10:18 PM
                Ron,
                I run the 6 Meter Reverse Beacon here in LA just 2.8 miles east of
                you in El Camino Village using a 6 Meter Ensemble on a
                vertical. Monitor DX Sherlock sporadic-E maps on VHFDX.INFO for
                spots from my station. Click on the map to see the frequency and SNR reported:
                http://www.vhfdx.info/spots/map.php?Lan=E&Frec=AL2&Map=NA&mycall=&myloc=&freq=&prop=
                Reverse Beacon spots show up as green call signs on the map. You'll
                find that much of the time, the band is closed. But it will open
                from time to time, especially this time of year with Sporadic-E.

                To give you an idea of the stations spotted, check the following link
                out to see a list of stations recently spotted by my reverse
                beacon: http://www.reversebeacon.net/dxsd1/dxsd1.php?f=0&c=N6EV&t=de

                If you want to set up an on-air test, I'd be happy to point the beam
                your way and shoot some RF at you. Email me at Paul@...

                If anyone is interested in setting up a reverse beacon on 6 meters
                using a VHF Ensemble, please email me for more info. We need more
                reverse beacons on 6 meters at strategic locations on the continent
                currently not covered.

                73
                Paul N6EV
                http://www.N6EV.com/

                At 08:34 PM 7/30/2012, Ron, KI6FHB wrote:
                >I've got what I believe to be a working 6m Ensemble, but don't hear
                >any obvious signals. I have the wrong antenna for this application,
                >but still would expect it to pick up something. It's a Alpha Delta
                >40-20-15-10m dipole. Should I still pick up a signal on 6M in the
                >Los Angeles area?
              • ae5xae5x
                Message 7 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
                  > If anyone is interested in setting up a reverse beacon on 6 meters
                  > using a VHF Ensemble, please email me for more info. We need more
                  > reverse beacons on 6 meters at strategic locations on the continent
                  > currently not covered.

                  I'll be doing exactly that in about 2 weeks with the 6m SoftRock.

                  John AE5X
                  http://www.ae5x.com/blog
                • Zack Widup
                  Message 8 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
                    Does the VHF Ensemble receiver need a preamp? If so, how much gain would you recommend?

                    73, Zack W9SZ

                    Message 9 of 9 , Aug 1, 2012
                      From my experience, yes, a preamp helps if it is at the antenna. I am using an active VHF/UHF TV antenna, so the preamp may not be optimal. But it still improves the S/N ratio of the Softrock by a few dB. You don't need a lot of gain. Low noise is more important for the preamp.

                      73, Mike