Re: [softrock40] Re: DSP Stick

  • Jerry Kaidor
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 25, 2012

      > That tool isn't particularly useful. We always seemed to end up writing
      > C.

      *** Even C requires a tool chain. Is there a free C compiler and assembler
      available?

      Many many years ago I did a project with the TMS320C31 DSP. My
      company sent me to TI's school for a week. I raised my hand in the
      assembly language part of the class and said that "all serious
      programming is done in C anyway" :).

      After due consideration, I wound up doing the whole thing in
      hand-optimized assembler. I did loop optimization by recoding small
      loops as
      inline instruction sequences. I made sure critical routines fit inside the
      64-instruction cache. I looked at "if" statements and made sure that the
      most common case was NOT to jump. I reduced the number of pushes and pops
      to the bare minimum - if a register wasn't used in this routine or its
      subroutines, it didn't get saved. I even eliminated many subroutine calls
      by inlining actual code. If a subroutine was used only once, that was a
      no-brainer. If it was used twice, I still thought about it.

      That was a fun project, and I look back on it fondly.

      - Jerry Kaidor, KF6VB