Radiation from the RX Ensemble II

  • gerhard972
    Message 1 of 43 , Jul 14, 2012
      Hi all,

      I first want to thank everyone for their contributions to the success of the Softrocks.
      I enjoyed building the RX Ensemble II and with the great building instructions on wb5rvz.com building was without problems.
      There was one weird thing I noticed during testing the band filter switching. I had a DMM (Peaktech 2010) hooked to the receiver 5V. When the frequency was set to above e.g. 20MHz the reading on the DMM dropped from 5V to 4.8V After checking with an analog meter without semiconductors it turned out that the 5V was stable.
      So the conclusion was that the DMM was disturbed by a HF voltage.
      I checked the cables for HF common mode currents by attaching a VNWA in spectrum analyser mode via a one turn current transformer on a ferrite suppression clamp core. It turned out that the Si570 frequency (4xLO) was present on the cables.
      Inspection of the circuit diagram and the PCB layout revealed that the polarity/phase of the Si570 output transformer (T1) is ok, but if T1 is inserted with straight leads into the PCB the primary and secondary windings will have opposite phase. The result is that a common mode voltage is created via T1. It was easy to silence a FM broadcast radio at 1m distance!
      Swapping both leads of the secondary winding reduced the common mode current by 20dB. A similar result was obtained by directly connecting the USB ground to receiver ground, but a lot of spurs popped up in the receiver spectrum. A 10nF capacitor gave roughly the same reduction without the spurs.
      So did I overlook something or might an addition to the building instructions be useful?
      Just my 2 cents and sorry for the bandwidth.

      73 Gerhard PA1GVE
      Message 43 of 43 , Jul 19, 2012
        But this discussion relates to radiation from the connecting cables.