40-R 20m frequency

  • PeterM
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
      Completed the build of a softrock 40-r 20m and hearing/seeing a lot of CW. However, in comparing signals received with another 20m receiver, the received signals don't correlated. For example, psk received on the the other analog receiver at 14.070 doesn't appear on the softrock while CW receive on the softrock are absent on the other as if the receivers are in entirely different bands. They are using the same antenna, just switched over between tests. I'm testing the SR40r with Rocky and SDR# with a 14047000 hz center freq. Any ideas to go further without a signal generator? cheers!
    • Tony Parks
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
        Hi Peter,

        1/3 sub-harmonic sampling, such as is done in the 20m SoftRock_40_R case, reverses the spectrum.  When I am building one of the little receivers for 20m operation, I typically wire the stereo audio cable so that the tip of cable connector goes to the ring connection on the 40_R board and the ring of the ring of the cable connector goes to the tip connection on the board.

        Some SDR software does provide for switching these connection in the software.

        Tony Parks
        kb9yig@...
        http://www.kb9yig.com

        On Mon, 2012-07-02 at 17:52 +0000, PeterM wrote:

        Completed the build of a softrock 40-r 20m and hearing/seeing a lot of CW. However, in comparing signals received with another 20m receiver, the received signals don't correlated. For example, psk received on the the other analog receiver at 14.070 doesn't appear on the softrock while CW receive on the softrock are absent on the other as if the receivers are in entirely different bands. They are using the same antenna, just switched over between tests. I'm testing the SR40r with Rocky and SDR# with a 14047000 hz center freq. Any ideas to go further without a signal generator? cheers!

      • Bruce Tanner
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012
          I might start with the LO oscillator signal... you should be able to detect the oscillator in your alternate receiver. If the frequency of detection is other than the prescribed LO frequency for that unit, it would through off the expected frequency calibration. Could be an improper crystal.  I believe the kit comes with several of them.. check that you selected the proper one for 20 meters?

          On 7/2/2012 1:52 PM, PeterM wrote:

          Completed the build of a softrock 40-r 20m and hearing/seeing a lot of CW. However, in comparing signals received with another 20m receiver, the received signals don't correlated. For example, psk received on the the other analog receiver at 14.070 doesn't appear on the softrock while CW receive on the softrock are absent on the other as if the receivers are in entirely different bands. They are using the same antenna, just switched over between tests. I'm testing the SR40r with Rocky and SDR# with a 14047000 hz center freq. Any ideas to go further without a signal generator? cheers!

          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7265 (20120702) __________

          http://www.eset.com

        • KQ8M
          Message 4 of 6 , Jul 2, 2012

            The 40_r's are only per band. You only receive the one crystal for the band you buy now. Which helps keep the cost down. How many crystals are laying in junk boxes that aren't being used and are forgotten and sad.

            73,

            Tim Herrick, KQ8M

            Charter Member North Coast Contesters

            kq8m@...

            AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

              Message 6 of 6 , Jul 3, 2012
                Hi Tony - that was it. I had ring to ring and tip to tip. Flipped the q/i on the software and the world wasn't upside down any more.

                This was an entertaining and instructive little mystery. Greatly enjoying this build and this little radio.

                thanks for the comments everybody!
                Peter