Newbie needs advice

  • RLN37
    Message 1 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
      I'm a near-complete newbie at SDR. Where should I get started?
      Which kit should I build first, to start getting my feet on
      the ground? And where do I get that kit?

      Thanks for the advice.

      73 - Bob, K6KL
    • KQ8M
      Message 2 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012

        Welcome to the wonderful world of SDR and SoftRock building.

        These kits are built using some surface mount parts. Are you able to do those? Are you willing to give it a try?

        If you have never done surface mounts, others have suggested the following, If you have an old computer card laying around you might try unsolder and resoldering the surface mount components for practice. Also, the single band SOtRock_40_R kits are very cheap and good way to get acclimated to SMD soldering without making a big dent in your wallet. Then move up to an Ensemble II RX receiver for LF or HF. More complicated and more expensive. Then maybe move up to the Ensemble RXTX for 3 band 1 watt QRP transceiver.

        There are many people on here that are extremely knowledgeable on this subject and can help you through the build process.

        I hope you have found this helpful.

        73,

        Tim Herrick, KQ8M

        Charter Member North Coast Contesters

        kq8m@...

        AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
          Hello Bob,

          You'd best start with a 40M Softrock_40_R kit from http://www.kb9yig.com/
          Yes it is surface mount, but that is not really a problem if you try it,
          You will have to check that web site often to find the kit offered and you will need a PayPal account.

          Or you might someone on the list here that has an extra kit.

          73, Ed WX4S

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "RLN37" <rln37@...> wrote:

          > I'm a near-complete newbie at SDR. Where should I get started?
          > Which kit should I build first, to start getting my feet on
          > the ground? And where do I get that kit?
          >
          > Thanks for the advice.
          >
          > 73 - Bob, K6KL

        • Bob Nelson
          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012
            Thank you, Tim and Ed, for the advice.  I guess I should have said I am plenty
            capable of assembling almost any kit - including one that uses a lot of SMDs.
            I developed my own way of handling SMDs twenty years ago, when SMD was
            still pretty new.  Of course there are limitations - some of the new SMD packages
            that have EXTREMELY fine pitch (like 0.020" or less) I would rather not tackle......

            Anyway, it sounds like I should order one from YIG's site, and I will  - just as
            soon as he indicates he has kits available.  Or sooner if someone has an unbuilt
            kit in their stash they'd like to sell.

            Thanks again for the advice.  I'm hot to get started.

            Bob - K6KL

          • KQ8M
            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2012

              Bob,

              The SMD are not too small. You should be fine with them.

              Glad to have you in our little brotherhood. LOL