Re: [softrock40] Re: OT SAQ

  • Bruce Tanner
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
      Thanks for the 'OT". It really peaked my interest. I hate to plead ignorance but for those of us across The Pond with no knowledge... what the heck is "SAQ"?

      bet

      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
        Hi Bruce,

        SAQ is a Swedish 17.2kHz transmitter, built in the 1920's, basically a large rotary alternator with a field coil that can be keyed. It was used for transatlantic communications.

        Its now a UNESCO World Heritage site and the transmitter is run a few times a year by the ham club based there. Usually runs at Christmas and Easter and on Alexanderson Day (today).

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimeton_VLF_transmitter

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

        > Thanks for the 'OT". It really peaked my interest. I hate to plead
        > ignorance but for those of us across The Pond with no knowledge... what
        > the heck is "SAQ"?
        >
        > bet

      • alanzfq
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the 'OT". It really peaked my interest. I hate to plead
          > ignorance but for those of us across The Pond with no knowledge... what
          > the heck is "SAQ"?

          Bruce,

          It is a 200Kw station on 17.2KHZ
          Produced by an alternator. Opened 1924.
          Used for transatlantic CW so not unknown on your side.
          Just on the air a few times a year.
          http://www.alexander.n.se/

          73 Alan G4ZFQ

          > > My reception in the photo section
          > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/photos/album/1763646812/pic/list>
          > > Not too strong but
          > > well in the clear.
        • Jerry Kaidor
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
            > Bruce,
            >
            > It is a 200Kw station on 17.2KHZ
            > Produced by an alternator.
            *** And the only operable Alexanderson alternator left in the world.
            Looked it up this morning.

            - Jerry Kaidor, KF6VB