Re: [softrock40] Re: OT SAQ

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
      Subject: [softrock40] Re: OT SAQ

      > Hmmmmmm
      > The 1 meter square 72 turn loop into the mic input
      > worked well on the second transmission...
      > Nearly as strong as the mini whip signal..
      >
      > Pity the noise conditions were so bad...

      Philip,

      well in the clear.
      Effectively a wire up 30 ft and 45 ft sloping down again.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ
    • Bruce Tanner
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
        Thanks for the 'OT". It really peaked my interest. I hate to plead ignorance but for those of us across The Pond with no knowledge... what the heck is "SAQ"?

        bet

        On 7/1/2012 9:14 AM, Alan wrote:

        > The 1 meter square 72 turn loop into the mic input
        > worked well on the second transmission...
        > Nearly as strong as the mini whip signal..
        >
        > Pity the noise conditions were so bad...

        Philip,

        well in the clear.
        Effectively a wire up 30 ft and 45 ft sloping down again.

        73 Alan G4ZFQ

        __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7261 (20120701) __________

        http://www.eset.com

      • g8voip
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
          Hi Bruce,

          SAQ is a Swedish 17.2kHz transmitter, built in the 1920's, basically a large rotary alternator with a field coil that can be keyed. It was used for transatlantic communications.

          Its now a UNESCO World Heritage site and the transmitter is run a few times a year by the ham club based there. Usually runs at Christmas and Easter and on Alexanderson Day (today).

          http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimeton_VLF_transmitter

          73, Bob G8VOI

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

          > Thanks for the 'OT". It really peaked my interest. I hate to plead
          > ignorance but for those of us across The Pond with no knowledge... what
          > the heck is "SAQ"?
          >
          > bet

        • alanzfq
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

            > Thanks for the 'OT". It really peaked my interest. I hate to plead
            > ignorance but for those of us across The Pond with no knowledge... what
            > the heck is "SAQ"?

            Bruce,

            It is a 200Kw station on 17.2KHZ
            Produced by an alternator. Opened 1924.
            Used for transatlantic CW so not unknown on your side.
            Just on the air a few times a year.
            http://www.alexander.n.se/

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            > > My reception in the photo section
            > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/photos/album/1763646812/pic/list>
            > > Not too strong but
            > > well in the clear.
          • Jerry Kaidor
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
              > Bruce,
              >
              > It is a 200Kw station on 17.2KHZ
              > Produced by an alternator.
              *** And the only operable Alexanderson alternator left in the world.
              Looked it up this morning.

              - Jerry Kaidor, KF6VB