Re: OT SAQ

  • Philip
    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
      Good signal received here (Chesterfield)
      Using Ensemble 11 with homebrew convertor, LF to 10Mhz..
      Antenna is a newly installed PA0RDT active mini whip
      at 15 feet above ground, on a pole down my garden..

      Waiting for the next transmission to try my 1 meter square 72 turn loop into the mic input..

      Great fun

      Regards
      Philip G4JVF

      > Hi Alan,
      >
      > Finally heard SAQ for the first time!
      >
      > Used my SoftRock v6.3 RXTX and a simple 10MHz up converter hooked up to my 132 foot long OCFD which is only 10 - 12 foot off the ground.
      >
      > Signals peaked about 15dB above the local noise floor, horrible local noise, but very easy to see on the waterfall and tune to.
      >
      > I have put a screen grab using HDSDR in my G8VOI folder in the Photo's section.
      >
      > Now have to go back and play the SDR recording to decode the main transmission. All I really decoded first time of hearing was the tuning V's and SAQ and the CQ's at the beginning of the message. Not being a CW operator is sort of a disadvantage :)
      >
      > 73, Bob G8VOI
      >

      > 73, Bob G8VOI

    • Philip
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
        Hmmmmmm
        The 1 meter square 72 turn loop into the mic input
        worked well on the second transmission...
        Nearly as strong as the mini whip signal..

        Pity the noise conditions were so bad...

        Philip G4JVF

        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
          Subject: [softrock40] Re: OT SAQ

          > Hmmmmmm
          > The 1 meter square 72 turn loop into the mic input
          > worked well on the second transmission...
          > Nearly as strong as the mini whip signal..
          >
          > Pity the noise conditions were so bad...

          Philip,

          well in the clear.
          Effectively a wire up 30 ft and 45 ft sloping down again.

          73 Alan G4ZFQ
        • Bruce Tanner
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
            Thanks for the 'OT". It really peaked my interest. I hate to plead ignorance but for those of us across The Pond with no knowledge... what the heck is "SAQ"?

            bet

            On 7/1/2012 9:14 AM, Alan wrote:

            > The 1 meter square 72 turn loop into the mic input
            > worked well on the second transmission...
            > Nearly as strong as the mini whip signal..
            >
            > Pity the noise conditions were so bad...

            Philip,

            well in the clear.
            Effectively a wire up 30 ft and 45 ft sloping down again.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ

            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7261 (20120701) __________

            http://www.eset.com

          • g8voip
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
              Hi Bruce,

              SAQ is a Swedish 17.2kHz transmitter, built in the 1920's, basically a large rotary alternator with a field coil that can be keyed. It was used for transatlantic communications.

              Its now a UNESCO World Heritage site and the transmitter is run a few times a year by the ham club based there. Usually runs at Christmas and Easter and on Alexanderson Day (today).

              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimeton_VLF_transmitter

              73, Bob G8VOI

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

              > Thanks for the 'OT". It really peaked my interest. I hate to plead
              > ignorance but for those of us across The Pond with no knowledge... what
              > the heck is "SAQ"?
              >
              > bet

            • alanzfq
              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                > Thanks for the 'OT". It really peaked my interest. I hate to plead
                > ignorance but for those of us across The Pond with no knowledge... what
                > the heck is "SAQ"?

                Bruce,

                It is a 200Kw station on 17.2KHZ
                Produced by an alternator. Opened 1924.
                Used for transatlantic CW so not unknown on your side.
                Just on the air a few times a year.
                http://www.alexander.n.se/

                73 Alan G4ZFQ

                > > My reception in the photo section
                > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/photos/album/1763646812/pic/list>
                > > Not too strong but
                > > well in the clear.
              • Jerry Kaidor
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                  > Bruce,
                  >
                  > It is a 200Kw station on 17.2KHZ
                  > Produced by an alternator.
                  *** And the only operable Alexanderson alternator left in the world.
                  Looked it up this morning.

                  - Jerry Kaidor, KF6VB