OT SAQ

    Message 1 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
      From: "g8voi

      > Off to listen for SAQ on 17.2kHz in a short while, using my SoftRock and LF converter of course!

      Of course?
      I'm not sure if I've had much sucess with Softrocks at that frequency.

      But thanks for reminding me. An antenna into the soundcard and HDSDR is doing the job.
      Sounds like they've got the speed regulator right this time.

      73 Alan G4ZFQ

      > SAQ transmissions 1/7/12:
      >
      > 08:30 UTC tuning, 09:00 message
      > 11:30 UTC tuning, 12:00 message

    • g8voip
      Message 2 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
        Hi Alan,

        Finally heard SAQ for the first time!

        Used my SoftRock v6.3 RXTX and a simple 10MHz up converter hooked up to my 132 foot long OCFD which is only 10 - 12 foot off the ground.

        Signals peaked about 15dB above the local noise floor, horrible local noise, but very easy to see on the waterfall and tune to.

        I have put a screen grab using HDSDR in my G8VOI folder in the Photo's section.

        Now have to go back and play the SDR recording to decode the main transmission. All I really decoded first time of hearing was the tuning V's and SAQ and the CQ's at the beginning of the message. Not being a CW operator is sort of a disadvantage :)

        73, Bob G8VOI

        73, Bob G8VOI

        > From: "g8voi
        >
        > > Off to listen for SAQ on 17.2kHz in a short while, using my SoftRock and LF converter of course!
        > >

        > Of course?
        > I'm not sure if I've had much sucess with Softrocks at that frequency.
        >
        > But thanks for reminding me. An antenna into the soundcard and HDSDR is doing the job.
        > Sounds like they've got the speed regulator right this time.
        >
        > 73 Alan G4ZFQ
        >

        > > SAQ transmissions 1/7/12:
        > >
        > > 08:30 UTC tuning, 09:00 message
        > > 11:30 UTC tuning, 12:00 message

      • Philip
        Message 3 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
          Good signal received here (Chesterfield)
          Using Ensemble 11 with homebrew convertor, LF to 10Mhz..
          Antenna is a newly installed PA0RDT active mini whip
          at 15 feet above ground, on a pole down my garden..

          Waiting for the next transmission to try my 1 meter square 72 turn loop into the mic input..

          Great fun

          Regards
          Philip G4JVF

          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
            Subject: [softrock40] Re: OT SAQ

            > Finally heard SAQ for the first time!

            Hi Bob

            It was my first time just using a soundcard. At short notic it was all I could think of. I expect something other than HDSDR would
            have given better results but the antenna, 1/2 of a doublet cut for 60m, raised the noise floor.

            > Used my SoftRock v6.3 RXTX and a simple 10MHz up converter hooked up to my 132 foot long OCFD which is only 10 - 12 foot off the
            > ground.

            I built a simple converter using 24MHz and a SBL1H (is that right?). I found it acted the same as a Softrock with the LO divided
            down. It received 3x frequency signals and needed the LPFs just the same.
            That's all I did. I presumed that the 24MHz was getting to the SR mixer and producing these signals.

            > Signals peaked about 15dB above the local noise floor, horrible local noise, but very easy to see on the waterfall and tune to.
            >
            > I have put a screen grab using HDSDR in my G8VOI folder in the Photo's section.

            I was worried, right at the start as I typed there was some nasty chirping but it was cleared up and a fairly stable signal most of
            the time.

            > Now have to go back and play the SDR recording to decode the main transmission. All I really decoded first time of hearing was the
            > tuning V's and SAQ and the CQ's at the beginning of the message. Not being a CW operator is sort of a disadvantage :)

            It's a while since I tried copying CW, I never got much past the 12WPM and they rattle on a bit faster than that.
            I did not make much sense of it although I recognised words like "Alexanderson"!
            I'll be at lunch for the next transmission so will miss it.

            73 Alan G4ZFQ
          • Philip
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
              Hmmmmmm
              The 1 meter square 72 turn loop into the mic input
              worked well on the second transmission...
              Nearly as strong as the mini whip signal..

              Pity the noise conditions were so bad...

              Philip G4JVF

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012

                > Hmmmmmm
                > The 1 meter square 72 turn loop into the mic input
                > worked well on the second transmission...
                > Nearly as strong as the mini whip signal..
                >
                > Pity the noise conditions were so bad...

                Philip,

                well in the clear.
                Effectively a wire up 30 ft and 45 ft sloping down again.

                73 Alan G4ZFQ
              • Bruce Tanner
                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                  Thanks for the 'OT". It really peaked my interest. I hate to plead ignorance but for those of us across The Pond with no knowledge... what the heck is "SAQ"?

                  bet

                  On 7/1/2012 9:14 AM, Alan wrote:

                  > The 1 meter square 72 turn loop into the mic input
                  > worked well on the second transmission...
                  > Nearly as strong as the mini whip signal..
                  >
                  > Pity the noise conditions were so bad...

                  Philip,

                  well in the clear.
                  Effectively a wire up 30 ft and 45 ft sloping down again.

                  73 Alan G4ZFQ

                  __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7261 (20120701) __________

                  http://www.eset.com

                • g8voip
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                    Hi Bruce,

                    SAQ is a Swedish 17.2kHz transmitter, built in the 1920's, basically a large rotary alternator with a field coil that can be keyed. It was used for transatlantic communications.

                    Its now a UNESCO World Heritage site and the transmitter is run a few times a year by the ham club based there. Usually runs at Christmas and Easter and on Alexanderson Day (today).

                    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grimeton_VLF_transmitter

                    73, Bob G8VOI

                    --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                    > Thanks for the 'OT". It really peaked my interest. I hate to plead
                    > ignorance but for those of us across The Pond with no knowledge... what
                    > the heck is "SAQ"?
                    >
                    > bet

                  • alanzfq
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

                      > Thanks for the 'OT". It really peaked my interest. I hate to plead
                      > ignorance but for those of us across The Pond with no knowledge... what
                      > the heck is "SAQ"?

                      Bruce,

                      It is a 200Kw station on 17.2KHZ
                      Produced by an alternator. Opened 1924.
                      Used for transatlantic CW so not unknown on your side.
                      Just on the air a few times a year.
                      http://www.alexander.n.se/

                      73 Alan G4ZFQ

                      > > My reception in the photo section
                      > > <http://groups.yahoo.com/group/softrock40/photos/album/1763646812/pic/list>
                      > > Not too strong but
                      > > well in the clear.
                    • Jerry Kaidor
                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 1, 2012
                        > Bruce,
                        >
                        > It is a 200Kw station on 17.2KHZ
                        > Produced by an alternator.
                        *** And the only operable Alexanderson alternator left in the world.
                        Looked it up this morning.

                        - Jerry Kaidor, KF6VB