RE: [softrock40] RX Ensemble II build time

  • Tony Parks
    Message 1 of 27 , Jun 30 12:45 PM
      Although I very much appreciate all that Robby has done to put together such nice kit building notes, my kit building procedure for an Ensemble kit is pretty much as follows:

      Mount all passive components except for inductors and transformers.

      Mount connectors and regulator ICs and then check to make sure regulated voltages, 3.3 volts and 5.0 volts, are present.  Also at this time I check to make sure the current supplied to the circuit board is less than 10 mA from the 12 volt supply.

      Wind and mount enough inductors and transformers such that initial operation can be established.  With the RX Ensemble II I typically do the BPF set that includes 20m along with T1, T2 and T3.

      Mount the rest of the ICs and check for proper operation.

      When initial operation is demonstrated, the rest of the inductors are wound and mounted so that testing of a completed board can be done.

      Total build time is on the order of about five hours and if I exercise care along the way the unit usually works without additional debug effort.

      Tony Parks
      kb9yig@...
      http://www.kb9yig.com

      On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 15:20 -0400, KQ8M wrote:

      Since I still follow the build notes, and do other things in between and during it is hard to say. A guestimate is about 6-7 hours complete build. I spose I should try just stuffing the board and see how long it takes. I have an Ensemble and an RXTX here to build.

      Also, I just bought an HP8640 512MHz signal generator so if I have problems this well definitely help me figure it out.

      73,

      Tim Herrick, KQ8M

      Charter Member North Coast Contesters

      kq8m@...

      AR-Cluster V6 kq8m.no-ip.org

      Message 2 of 27 , Jun 30 12:47 PM
        Tony,
        It took me about 8 hours over a two day period, but I worked very slowly checking the instructions and each part very closely before committing to soldering.
        73, Bill
        N6WS

        On 06/30/2012 11:59 AM, Tony Parks wrote:

        Good Afternoon All,

        This morning I started the build of an HF version of the RX Ensemble II receiver for a fellow who felt his eyesight was not up to doing the SMT work on the board.

        Four hours later the receiver is playing nicely listening to 20m CW signals. Still need to wind and mount the remaining nine inductors for the BP filters in the other three filter groups but that should only take another hour or so to have this receiver ready to ship.

        I would be interested in what others experience is concerning build time for the HF version of the RX Ensemble II receiver.

        73,
        Tony KB9YIG

      • g8voip
        Message 3 of 27 , Jun 30 1:40 PM
          Hi Tony,

          With the greatest of respect, it really is not helpful to anyone to start suggesting build times for any of the kits.

          It is not a race, it takes as long as it takes to build.

          Each and everyone of us has differing levels of skills and abilities, so a newcomer could be totally disheartened that they are taking too long comparing their time to a seasoned or experienced builder.

          The key thing is to build it correctly using what ever method and guidance necessary according to the individuals own ability.

          Sure the more you build the quicker you get, but as most people only ever build one or perhaps two, that is irrelevant.

          As you can probably tell, it is a subject I feel very stongly about and have refrained from commenting when it has arisen before.

          I would much sooner someone takes their time, gets it right first time, ultimately that saves the rest of us having to help debug the kits when silly mistakes are made through rushing.

          I am sure you agree the success of the kits is down to the high percentage of builders getting them running, that is the important thing, not the time taken.

          73, Bob G8VOI

          --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

          > Good Afternoon All,
          >
          > This morning I started the build of an HF version of the RX Ensemble II receiver for a fellow who felt his eyesight was not up to doing the SMT work on the board.
          >
          > Four hours later the receiver is playing nicely listening to 20m CW signals. Still need to wind and mount the remaining nine inductors for the BP filters in the other three filter groups but that should only take another hour or so to have this receiver ready to ship.
          >
          > I would be interested in what others experience is concerning build time for the HF version of the RX Ensemble II receiver.
          >
          > 73,
          > Tony KB9YIG

        • Tony Parks
          Message 4 of 27 , Jun 30 2:23 PM
            Hi Bob,

            You are quite right!  Building the kit with care, having some fun building it, and having it work with little or no debug effort make very good sense.

            My apology to the group for my comments concerning kit building time.

            Tony Parks
            kb9yig@...
            http://www.kb9yig.com

            On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 20:40 +0000, g8voip wrote:

            Hi Tony,

            With the greatest of respect, it really is not helpful to anyone to start suggesting build times for any of the kits.

            It is not a race, it takes as long as it takes to build.

            Each and everyone of us has differing levels of skills and abilities, so a newcomer could be totally disheartened that they are taking too long comparing their time to a seasoned or experienced builder.

            The key thing is to build it correctly using what ever method and guidance necessary according to the individuals own ability.

            Sure the more you build the quicker you get, but as most people only ever build one or perhaps two, that is irrelevant.

            As you can probably tell, it is a subject I feel very stongly about and have refrained from commenting when it has arisen before.

            I would much sooner someone takes their time, gets it right first time, ultimately that saves the rest of us having to help debug the kits when silly mistakes are made through rushing.

            I am sure you agree the success of the kits is down to the high percentage of builders getting them running, that is the important thing, not the time taken.

            73, Bob G8VOI

            --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

            > Good Afternoon All,
            >
            > This morning I started the build of an HF version of the RX Ensemble II receiver for a fellow who felt his eyesight was not up to doing the SMT work on the board.
            >
            > Four hours later the receiver is playing nicely listening to 20m CW signals. Still need to wind and mount the remaining nine inductors for the BP filters in the other three filter groups but that should only take another hour or so to have this receiver ready to ship.
            >
            > I would be interested in what others experience is concerning build time for the HF version of the RX Ensemble II receiver.
            >
            > 73,
            > Tony KB9YIG

          • Bruce Tanner
            Message 5 of 27 , Jun 30 3:08 PM
              You da'man, Tony!

              On 6/30/2012 5:23 PM, Tony Parks wrote:

              Hi Bob,

              You are quite right!  Building the kit with care, having some fun building it, and having it work with little or no debug effort make very good sense.

              My apology to the group for my comments concerning kit building time.

              Tony Parks
              kb9yig@...
              http://www.kb9yig.com

              On Sat, 2012-06-30 at 20:40 +0000, g8voip wrote:

              Hi Tony,

              With the greatest of respect, it really is not helpful to anyone to start suggesting build times for any of the kits.

              It is not a race, it takes as long as it takes to build.

              Each and everyone of us has differing levels of skills and abilities, so a newcomer could be totally disheartened that they are taking too long comparing their time to a seasoned or experienced builder.

              The key thing is to build it correctly using what ever method and guidance necessary according to the individuals own ability.

              Sure the more you build the quicker you get, but as most people only ever build one or perhaps two, that is irrelevant.

              As you can probably tell, it is a subject I feel very stongly about and have refrained from commenting when it has arisen before.

              I would much sooner someone takes their time, gets it right first time, ultimately that saves the rest of us having to help debug the kits when silly mistakes are made through rushing.

              I am sure you agree the success of the kits is down to the high percentage of builders getting them running, that is the important thing, not the time taken.

              73, Bob G8VOI

              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Tony Parks" <kb9yig@...> wrote:

              > Good Afternoon All,
              >
              > This morning I started the build of an HF version of the RX Ensemble II receiver for a fellow who felt his eyesight was not up to doing the SMT work on the board.
              >
              > Four hours later the receiver is playing nicely listening to 20m CW signals. Still need to wind and mount the remaining nine inductors for the BP filters in the other three filter groups but that should only take another hour or so to have this receiver ready to ship.
              >
              > I would be interested in what others experience is concerning build time for the HF version of the RX Ensemble II receiver.
              >
              > 73,
              > Tony KB9YIG

              __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7260 (20120630) __________

              http://www.eset.com

            • Bruce Tanner
              Message 6 of 27 , Jun 30 3:10 PM
                I wear six pairs of earphones (singles) so I can listen to all my HF rigs at the same time! Really, helps when attempting to make comparisons! ;)

                On 6/30/2012 7:13 PM, Jerry Kaidor wrote:

                > Hi Tony,
                >
                > With the greatest of respect, it really is not helpful to anyone to start
                > suggesting build times for any of the kits.
                >
                > It is not a race, it takes as long as it takes to build.

                *** Indeed. I'm taking my time. Even stretching it. Verifying most
                component values before stuffing. Scrubbing the board with brush and
                alcohol. Inspecting the soldering w/stereo microscope.
                Because....

                BUILDING AND TESTING IT IS THE FUN PART.

                Heck, I don't even *need* another HF rig - I bet that describes most of us.

                - Jerry Kaidor

                __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7260 (20120630) __________

                http://www.eset.com

              • Jerry Kaidor
                Message 7 of 27 , Jun 30 4:13 PM

                  Message 8 of 27 , Jun 30 4:40 PM

                    > Mount all passive components except for inductors and transformers.

                    *** Part of this I would find tempting. Specifically, mount all the
                    surface mount caps at once. Because soldering skill is not a constant.
                    It should be managed. When you have soldered all the SMT caps, you are
                    then ready - skill-wise - to solder in the oscillator.

                    In general, for each stage, I solder in all the passives - caps and
                    resistors and coils - THEN solder in the active stuff - transistors,
                    opamps etc. Actives LAST, because then all the biasing stuff is in
                    place, and the
                    parts are protected for ESD.

                    - Jerry Kaidor
                  • du1mga
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jun 30 6:16 PM
                      Hi Tony,

                      yes it is also my experience. It will not take long and every minute is a joy to build. I build two RXTX Ensemble and one RX Ensemble II. No problems with it.
                      Until today I make thousands of connections with them. Most with WSPR. Your Kits stable as a rock.

                      Thanks Tony for the good work.

                      vy73 de Erwin DU1MGA (W3WAZ)

                      P.S. I'm the same age as you and I don't have problems to build. Just enjoying.

                      Message 10 of 27 , Jun 30 6:24 PM
                        This might be in the collected wisdom area, but here it is again.  I built 2 RXTX Ensembles, not without drama!

                        Lessons learned:
                        http://k1qn.info/BuildersTips.pdf

                        --
                        Al Gerheim
                        Adopt a Homeless Pet
                        Message 11 of 27 , Jun 30 6:29 PM

                          Did anyone else experience a disappointment when it was over? Not disappointment in the radio, but disappointment in not having anything else to build?

                          Maybe I’m simple minded, but the way the kit and steps flow, it was a pleasure to build a bit, then test a bit, build, test, repeat until complete.

                          Thank you Tony and to the folks that put together the documentation!

                          Bernie

                          K2YO

                            Message 13 of 27 , Jun 30 6:53 PM

                              Maybe Tony could come up with some kind of massive rework process required for our boards so we have a reason to spend time at the bench again. Maybe we should switch out all the caps with different color ones or something like that.

                              Tony, can you find us some kind of rework process we have to perform?

                              Bernie

                              Message 14 of 27 , Jul 1, 2012
                                Hi Tony,

                                Certainly no apology needed, especially from you.

                                I did think twice about making the posting, and as you well know from our many enjoyable, candid exchanges off the forum, I have the best interests of the kit builders at heart.

                                Off to listen for SAQ on 17.2kHz in a short while, using my SoftRock and LF converter of course!

                                SAQ transmissions 1/7/12:

                                08:30 UTC tuning, 09:00 message
                                11:30 UTC tuning, 12:00 message

                                Take care, and thanks for all your heroic efforts, they are truely appreciated worldwide!

                                73, Bob G8VOI

                                p.s. some of my recent postings seem to be taking an eternity to appear.

                                --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Tony Parks <kb9yig@...> wrote:

                                > Hi Bob,
                                >
                                > You are quite right! Building the kit with care, having some fun
                                > building it, and having it work with little or no debug effort make very
                                > good sense.
                                >
                                > My apology to the group for my comments concerning kit building time.
                                >
                                > 73,
                                > --
                                >
                                > Tony Parks
                                > kb9yig@...
                                > http://www.kb9yig.com

                              • Matt Maguire

                                  Message 16 of 27 , Jul 1, 2012
                                    On 01/07/12 02:29, Bernie Hunt wrote:

                                    > Did anyone else experience a disappointment when it was over? Not
                                    > disappointment in the radio, but disappointment in not having anything
                                    > else to build?

                                    No, because then I had to build the software!

                                    --
                                    Gordonjcp MM0YEQ
                                  • Philip
                                    Message 17 of 27 , Jul 1, 2012
                                      Hi Bernie..
                                      Yes, it's a bit of a downer when the kit is finished..
                                      Great fun to use but lots of pleasure building the kits..
                                      Only way out is to order more kits...

                                      There is no known cure :)

                                      Thanks Tony, you're a star

                                      Philip G4JVF

                                      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bernie Hunt <bernie@...> wrote:

                                      > Did anyone else experience a disappointment when it was over? Not
                                      > disappointment in the radio, but disappointment in not having anything
                                      > else to build?
                                      >

                                      > Maybe I'm simple minded, but the way the kit and steps flow, it was a
                                      > pleasure to build a bit, then test a bit, build, test, repeat until
                                      > complete.
                                      >

                                      > Thank you Tony and to the folks that put together the documentation!
                                      >

                                      > Bernie
                                      >
                                      > K2YO

                                    • Sid Boyce
                                      Message 18 of 27 , Jul 1, 2012
                                        Hi Philip,
                                        That's when another high should loom - enjoying what simple equipment can achieve that with previous techniques would take months of building to get to that point.

                                        Take the recent rtl-sdr project where a DVB-T dongle and a bit of software produced, a 2m/70cms/23cms receiver. Though my 2m/70cms rig hasn't been switched on for years, this little thing gets me listening frequently to those bands by moving the Colinear across and also putting it on the internet so others can share the experience.

                                        As I've said here many times, ever since experiencing SDR my commercial rigs are still here to keep the dust off the shelves.
                                        73 ... Sid.

                                        --
                                        Sid Boyce ... Hamradio License G3VBV, Licensed Private Pilot
                                        Emeritus IBM/Amdahl Mainframes and Sun/Fujitsu Servers Tech Support

                                      • Bruce Tanner
                                        Message 19 of 27 , Jul 1, 2012
                                          Yes, a padded envelope from Indiana in the postal box is definitely the antidote to that malady!

                                          Keep them coming, Tony!

                                          bet

                                          ---

                                          __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7261 (20120701) __________

                                          http://www.eset.com

                                        • KQ8M
                                          Message 20 of 27 , Jul 1, 2012

                                            I am so darn addicted to these things that I offer my services to those that can't build. I love these things hence the amount that I own and have built. I have several in the wings but when they are done I don't know what I am going to do. Watch soap operas? Oh the HORROR...THE HORROR.