Inexpensive USB sound cards that work (of not) with Rocky

  • warrenallgyer
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 28, 2012
      I am a big fan of Rocky and use it with several inexpensive netbook and Ensemble RXTX combos on BPSK31. While this works almost universally with XP, Rocky's shortcomings with Windows 7 have been well documented. I have some trial and error experience with inexpensive USB cards for netboooks and Win 7 and I have a couple of suggestions:

      Griffin iMic - Seems to work well with basic drivers that automatically install when you plug it in. Can be had for $20 but can be hard to find.

      Diamond Multimedia Sound Tube - Really cute.... looks like a 12AU7 with a blue filament! Again using only the basic, auto installed drivers. Can be found at Fry's for $29.

      One I have not been able to make work is the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Go!. It seems to work fine in these netbooks for HDSDR and WSPR but not for Rocky.

      I also use these netbooks for WSPR with only the internal sound cards with great success.

      Hope this helps and allows someone else to retain some of the hair that I lost in this process.

      Warren Allgyer
      W8TOD/BG1
      Stealth Amateur Radio from Beijing
      CW, BPSK31, and WSPR on 40/30/17/15/12/10 Meters
    • Roger Gagos
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 28, 2012
        Thanks, Warren! I've been shopping USB sound cards form my Ensemble II to use with a variety of PC and Mac computers. Likely you have saved me some of that "hair pulling" (and I can't afford that!).

        73,

        Roger Gagos, K6EQ
        Escondido, CA

        > I am a big fan of Rocky and use it with several inexpensive netbook and Ensemble RXTX combos on BPSK31. While this works almost universally with XP, Rocky's shortcomings with Windows 7 have been well documented. I have some trial and error experience with inexpensive USB cards for netboooks and Win 7 and I have a couple of suggestions:
        >
        > Griffin iMic - Seems to work well with basic drivers that automatically install when you plug it in. Can be had for $20 but can be hard to find.
        >
        > Diamond Multimedia Sound Tube - Really cute.... looks like a 12AU7 with a blue filament! Again using only the basic, auto installed drivers. Can be found at Fry's for $29.
        >
        > One I have not been able to make work is the Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Go!. It seems to work fine in these netbooks for HDSDR and WSPR but not for Rocky.
        >
        > I also use these netbooks for WSPR with only the internal sound cards with great success.
        >
        > Hope this helps and allows someone else to retain some of the hair that I lost in this process.
        >
        > Warren Allgyer
        > W8TOD/BG1
        > Stealth Amateur Radio from Beijing
        > CW, BPSK31, and WSPR on 40/30/17/15/12/10 Meters

      • ae9rb
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 1, 2012
          > Griffin iMic - Seems to work well with basic drivers that automatically install when you plug it in. Can be had for $20 but can be hard to find.

          The iMic has some good programming in it. It's a fully adaptive audio device, as opposed to unsynchronized or sof synchronous. My only complaint is that it makes a lot of ADC noise when you tap or even touch the device. At least on the example I own. It's the kind of noise you can usually eliminate with better caps, but I haven't dug into the problem.

          Rocky is a difficult program. I programed a PSoC with a PCM3060 to act as a perfectly synchronous 24-bit sound card and Rocky still cackles and visually locks up every so often. I've tried it with a variety of sound cards yielding varying results, none of which good enough that I would trust it on the air.

          73 David AE9RB