RE: [softrock40] Re: Cannot install cfgsr

  • Joseph LaFerla
    Message 1 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012

    Bob

    That is the error message that CFGSR.exe gives when I try to run it.  I had never heard of it either until now.

    Yes I do have that entry in Device Manager.

    I am attaching a screenshot of the error message.

    73

    Joe

    Message 2 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012

      Hi Bruce

      I am not using a Hub.  I am using the same usb connection that I used when cfgsr was working!

      Joe

      ...also if you are using a 'USB Hub' you might try a direct connection to the motherboard or change the location of your USB connection.

      On 6/8/2012 2:19 PM, g8voip wrote:

      Hi Joe,

      What do you mean by 'side by side configuration error', never heard of anything like that.

      Take a look at the Windows Device Manager to confirm if the USB device is correctly recognised and the driver installed. Confirm you have an entry for:

      LibUSB Win32 Device > SoftRock40 Si570 control PE0FKO

      73, Bob G8VOI

      --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph LaFerla" <joe@...> wrote:

      > HI Bob
      >

      > No dice. I uninstalled CFGSR, rebooted the machine, installed version 2.4
      > and still got the same error. As you suggested, I created a new shortcut on
      > the desktop from the CFGSR folder but it still gave me the same error
      > message (side by side configuration). I am sure the usb drivers are fine.
      >

      > Joe

      __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7207 (20120608) __________

      http://www.eset.com

    • Joseph LaFerla

        What do you mean by 'side by side configuration error', never heard of anything like that.

        Take a look at the Windows Device Manager to confirm if the USB device is correctly recognised and the driver installed. Confirm you have an entry for:

        LibUSB Win32 Device > SoftRock40 Si570 control PE0FKO

        73, Bob G8VOI

        --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, "Joseph LaFerla" <joe@...> wrote:

        > HI Bob
        >

        > No dice. I uninstalled CFGSR, rebooted the machine, installed version 2.4
        > and still got the same error. As you suggested, I created a new shortcut on
        > the desktop from the CFGSR folder but it still gave me the same error
        > message (side by side configuration). I am sure the usb drivers are fine.
        >

        > Joe

      • Bruce Tanner
        Message 4 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
          Some info...lots of info, on 'side by side config' error....

          https://www.google.com/search?q=error+the+side-by-side+configuration+information+for&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a

            Message 6 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012

              Yes Bruce it looks like this might be what caused the problem.  It is likely because I was upgrading cfgsr when it happened.  However, I am unsure how to fix it.  I uninstalled cfgsr several times.  I will next try to delete everything that deals with cfgsr even in the Registry before reinstalling.  Maybe that will do it.

              Joe

                Message 8 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
                  That may do it... many of these programs retain info in XML files and the Registry which are not flushed when you do an upgrade.  Sounds like it has confounded a lot of folks if you read down on my last URL to '...Resolving the Error'.  This is the first time I have heard of this error as well.

                  Best of luck with the fix...

                  BTW, there was one person who reported a '3 sec. fix' in the thread mentioned above. I did not understand it but you might look at it to see if it means something to  you.

                  bet

                  Message 9 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012

                    HI Bruce

                    I tried restoring the Program Files\CFGSR folder but that did not clear the error.  I looked in the registry and there does not seem to be anything weird in there.   From the description that you sent, it appears that it is some kind of a dependency error but I cannot understand how reinstalling does not fix it.

                    I am afraid this is out of my depth.  I don't know much about these things.  I just am confounded that I cannot fix it with a reinstall.  I couldn't find what you meant about "REsolving the Error"  or the 3 second fix.  Can you elaborate please.

                    Joe

                    Message 10 of 19 , Jun 8, 2012
                      I am afraid that I am in the sinking boat with you, Joe.  I am not very familiar with this stuff.  Having said that, here is the URL where I found the comment. It seems there is some useful and interesting information here if you browse down at the bottom to the thread posted by other people about the problem and the posts of those involved in assisting to reach a solution.

                      http://buffered.io/posts/resolving-side-by-side-configuration-issues/

                      I am using Win 7 64 bit here and using CFGSR V 15.12. I have not had any problems with it but I guess I have not attempted to upgrade from there yet either.

                      bet

                        Message 12 of 19 , Jun 10, 2012

                          HI all

                          Well, after a bit of sleuthing, and an unrelated issue, i solved my problem.  In case it affects anyone else, here is the solution.

                          It turned out that my hard drive had some errors on it which needed fixing with chkdsk /r /f.  You let this run its course and then after the computer reboots, I uninstalled cfgsr and reinstalled it and presto, it all works.  I guess the errors on the disk must have caused the cryptic windows error message.  If running Vista or Win7, chkdsk has to be run as administrator.  I solved this quite accidentally because I tried to run norton ghost to back up my drive and it wouldn't back up.  The error message said that I should run chkdsk which I did and then I thought that the errors might also have been causing cfgsr grief.

                          So thanks to all for your suggestions.  The moral here is periodically run chkdsk.

                          73

                          Joe

                          VA3JLF

                            __________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 7210 (20120610) __________