Re: [softrock40] Re: Linear Amp for QRP

  • John Rabson
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 1, 2012
      On 1 Jun 2012, at 22:45CEST, Dave B wrote:

      Should be OK, clean/linear, and rugged (VSWR tollerant) at 50W or so, so
      long as you have good (FAST!) over current protection on the DC supply.

      And a power semicondictor is the fastest fuse known to man.

      John F5VLF

    • Lawrence Galea
      Message 2 of 12 , Jun 2, 2012
        Fastest fuse on three legs
        Regards
        Lawrence

        Message 3 of 12 , Jun 2, 2012
          Not quite as fast as a laserdiode. Spikes as short as 2 ns can destroy a laserdiode.

          -J.

          On 2 Jun 2012, at 12:59, Lawrence Galea wrote:

          Fastest fuse on three legs
          Regards
          Lawrence

          Message 4 of 12 , Jun 3, 2012
            Oh yes!...

            How fast a power semi' self destructs, is directly proportional to the
            cost x diffulty of it's replacement!

            Protection is everything! The use of active current limiting/foldback
            on the DC supply, is just as esential as active monitoring of both
            forward and reflected power levels, with any needed warnings, trips, or
            automatic drive level reduction under extreme load VSWR contitions.

            It's especially a problem when such amps are driving very low impedances
            (as the devices "see" them) the currents developed rise scarily fast.
            That coupled with transmission line effects due to standing waves can
            result in an instant device failure, if something goes "open circuit"
            somewhere downstream. (1/4 wave transformer effects...)

            A solid state RF PA, is in essance a controled voltage generator, with
            (relatively) uncontroled currents. (DC and RF!) Yes, the device
            controls current itself, but under normal conditions that current is also
            a function of the DC input voltage and output load impedance, as "seen"
            by the PA stage. If the dynamic working point of the device stray's out
            of the "Safe Operating Area" into Secondary Breakdown teretory, the rest
            as they say is history. And very fast too.

            A Tube amp by comparison, is a controled current source, that can
            withstand (in the most part) high voltages under fault conditions, so can
            be less problematical, though not always in narrowband configurations,
            and especially not at VHF, where its often other parts that fail first,
            not the tube itself. (Cap's flashing over etc.)

            Tubes tend not to fail "Instantly" for the most part (if the amp is
            correctly designed for the tube in use) but give enough warning to the
            user that something is wrong by way of real time meetering in sight of
            the operator. But of course, the operator needs to know how to
            interperate those readings, and keep an eye on them. There are some
            commercial tube amps that automate all that, some better than others.

            I have yet to see even a commercial solid state PA, that has DC input
            current meetering, though often Fwd and Refl power metering is included.

            73

            Dave G0WBX.
          • Alex
            Message 5 of 12 , Jun 3, 2012
              --- In softrock40@yahoogroups.com, Bruce Tanner <bet110@...> wrote:

              > The thought did cross my mind!
              >
              > On 5/31/2012 3:40 PM, MIKE DURKIN wrote:
              > >
              > > With a pair of 2sc2879's .... 120w each .... id guess more are sold to
              > > CB'rs than hams ...

              I have a ensemble rxtx and I built a kit amp from http://www.golddredgervideo.com/kc0wox/wa2ebyamp/
              Take a look at this amp 40w out with 1w in. It works absolutely beautiful with the softrock ensemble rxtx. I get about 45w out and everyone tells me how great it sound.
              You can easily get all parts from mouser or digikey.
              There is a link on the arrl article for this amp on where to get the printed circuit boards. Not hard to build at all.

              Good luck W6ACT